Possibly pregnant and I need ADVICE...

Feylin

Post   » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:57 pm

If they're coming out to eat I think they're ok. They should start being more active after a few days. Make sure you're weighing them. You can try sitting quietly next to the cages to help them.

How big are the cages? I've noticed that pigs often stay in one corner or hide in small petstore cages. When you put them in an appropriately sized cage, they start moving around more.

www.guineapigcages.com has directions for building rather inexpensive correctly sized cages.

Kamalia

Post   » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:37 am

Thanks for the link. They are moving around much more now, although they still have their quiet periods (which is normal I guess).

I'm still anxious to be able to tell how far gone mum may be - as I have no idea! As I do not want her to go in to labour without me on hand should she need me, I am checking her ever 2 hours during the day and night. However, she could be weeks away for all I know. Any ideas on how to tell how long she may have to go?

Thanks!

Kamalia

Post   » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:05 pm

Hi there,

Has anyone got any suggestions about how to tell how long she may have to go before she goes in to labour?

Thanks so much!

Kamalia

Post   » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:23 pm

Maria1986

Post   » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:49 am

Can you feel the babies moving yet?

Kamalia

Post   » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:08 am

If she sits still on your hand, you can feel slight movement yes. Will the movement be more easily felt later or not?

Vipergurl88

Post   » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:20 am

Later in my sow's pregnancy I could feel AND see the babies moving. Usually delivery is only a couple weeks away once movement starts.

Elly

Post   » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:54 am

Another way to try to tell if the girl is getting close to delivering is to slide your fingers under her bottom. Just above her genitals you will feel 2 bone points. These are her pelvis points. Normally they are very close together (fingernails width apart). As she gets closer to delivery the points will spread. When your finger can easily fit between the points she is getting close and delivery will happen any time within the next few days (usually)

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:22 pm

She is so pretty! What is her name?

Kamalia

Post   » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:50 pm

Thank you - her name is Spiderpig (was named by my 5 year old son, and we did think she was a boy)!! Her pelvis points have spread a little - I can just about fit my little finger in the gap.

Kamalia

Post   » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:56 pm

Still no babies... gap is a little wider still (can get a whole finger in now). x

Kamalia

Post   » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:20 pm

Thought I'd post a quick update. Still no babies yet, I did see them moving yesterday though and Spiderpig keeps looking and scratching at her belly.

Just out of interest, is there any way to tell how many she may be likely to have? I know it can vary but I assume this is her first pregnancy, so do you think she'll only have one baby?