Possibly pregnant and I need ADVICE...

Kamalia

Post   » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:36 pm

I bought two male guinea pigs from what I have always considered to be a reputable home some 4 weeks ago now. One has always been slightly larger than the other but we were told he was slightly older.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have since discovered that the larger 'he' is in fact a 'she' and I think the reason she is larger (and getting larger all the time) is that she may well be pregnant.

I am fairly new to guinea pig ownership and certainly would not have gone out and intentionally bought a pregnant sow. However, now that she's here, I want to do the best by her.

What I really want to know is how pregnant she may be and if / when I should seperate her from the boar? I know the gestation period is 10 weeks but as I don not know how far gone she is, I do not know when to expect the babies. Is there any way to tell how far into her pregnancy she may be?

What signs will she show in the final stages ie, will her shape change dramatically, when will she start filling with milk, anything else? How long is the labour likely to last? Does she need to be inside (a house) when she goes in to labour?

I have read lots of general info on breeding etc from different sites. However, my situation slightly different as I don't know when she conceived.

Any help at all will be gratefully received. Thanks. x

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:37 pm

You should separate her now.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:41 pm

There is a lot of helpful information on this page:

https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html

An exotics vet might be able to tell you if she is pregnant.

What is her current diet?

Edited to add:

"Does she need to be inside (a house) when she goes in to labour?"

Do you mean inside a little hiding hut inside her cage? Or do you mean inside your house?

Kamalia

Post   » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:49 pm

Thanks, will check out link. Their diet is a guinea pig mix called Gerty Guinea (contains everything) as well as hay and fresh fruit and veg (and they love the grass in their run).

And, yes, I mean does she need to come in to my house?

Thanks again.

Kamalia

Post   » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:53 pm

If you can tell me how to do it, I can post a photo of her...

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:58 pm

How to Post Pictures Using Photobucket

I would definitely bring her inside your home while she is expecting.

If she is pregnant, she will benefit from having some alfalfa (hay or pellets) added to her diet.

Kamalia

Post   » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:01 pm

Okay, I'll get some alfalfa tomorrow - would you recommend hay or pellets?

If I seperate them now and bring her in my house, will the boar be okay outside on his own?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:07 pm

More diet information can be found here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

Feeding the expectant mother either alfalfa hay or pellets is your choice - whichever is easiest for you.

Guinea pigs are prey animals -- they do better in herd. I would not recommend leaving the male outside by himself. He would most likely be frightened. If you can manage, I'd suggest bringing him inside too.

Kamalia

Post   » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:09 pm

Thanks again for all the info. Am off to bed now, will report back tomorrow on progress!

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:19 pm

Please, please change the Gerty Guinea pig food now. It is the most widely available but has the least nutritional information on its packaging and has a dubious reputation as a nutritional food.

When enquiring about kidney problems in one of my pigs, my vet contacted the Edinburgh Veterinary College and was immediately asked if the pig was on Gerty Guinea Pig food. They have found that nearly all pigs submitted to them for kidney problems have been fed a diet of Gerty (mine were not). The College said that Gerty was not a good mix, too much sugars and too much 'junk' in it.

There's a UK foods thread here for you to try better guinea pig foods.

And welcome to GuineaLynx, you won't find better piggy info. :·)

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:31 pm

We recommend housing guinea pigs indoors so you should bring them both inside but housed separately.

If she gives birth with him still in the cage, he will impregate her again as they go into heat right after giving birth.

If you have a good vet, you may want to look into neutering him, or wait and see if you have any male babies. They can go with Dad and female babies can stay with mom.

Remove any male babies at 21 days. Or they can impregnate mom and sisters.

Kamalia

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Have now brought them both inside and seperated them. Have also ditched the Gerty Guinea food and got another mix which the pet shop recommended - also has alfalfa pellets in it.

Am going to speak to my vet about possibly having the male neutered too.

Thanks again!