EMERGENCY - Cavy swallowed my nosering

korupt

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:35 pm

"You didn't really describe it from what I saw, but was it the WHOLE ring, or just the outside part? If the "lock" part was still attached, it could possibly go through? I don't know, i'm male and don't have a nosering (not Lenny Kravitz), just wondering. "

Sorry I missed your question.. um, its a post type.. no lock.. has a ball at one end that you basically force through the piercing, and then the stud at the other end. all one piece, not really sharp edges or anything. Basically.. 2 knobs.

The next thing people ask is.. yes its painful to get in and out. But I take my nosering out MAYBE once every few months, so no biggie. She bit it and yanked it right out. Its not like I left her near little things... Lord knows, her "zone" is cavy friendly.. and yes.. it was excruciating when she did.. my eyes we all watering while I was trying to get it from her..

Lovemypig

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:36 pm

Thanks for your latest post and please keep us updated.

Oh, ouch.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:46 pm

No sharp edges is better. Check the poops for the next 30 hours from when it happened. Be ready to take her in and do what you have to if it comes to that. Sorry about your nose.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:55 pm

Accidents happen; no one here meant to make you feel "like scum." They were really just trying to offer some useful advice. We can see you are trying your best.

Sending good thoughts your way for a positive outcome.

undervenued

Post   » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:30 am

At least it isn't the type that has like a sharp point, you know? I'm sorry, I'm 27 and haven't ever had any piercings... only what past girlfriends and my wife have, so I have very little knowledge on the subject!

I hope it all turns out okay, please keep this thread updated.

somechick

Post   » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:11 am

Yeah I was also picturing a stud type earring that's standard to have in your ears. I thought she ate the front part which would leave you with at stabb-y end. But now it seems more like barbell looking thing, which - right - is better than sharp.

Let us know what happens.

piggy_vittles

Post   » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:32 am

Hi there,
I was not trying to make it look like you do not care for your piggy. I wanted to take the opportunity to remind all of us, myself included, because sometimes we forget or lay ignorant of everyday avoidable events that can wreak devastation on our pets and on us when we lose them.

I sincerely hope your piggy is alright. We care more than you know.

edit: spelling

WICharlie

Post   » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:40 am

Boy, will I ever keep my fingers crossed for you that she passes it without a problem. Poop, piggy, poop!

It is a danger that I never thought about with guinea pigs. I used to have pierced ears and it is possible that if someone were cuddling their pig up under their neck, the pig could grab a regular earring too. Who would think they'd be interested? But they can be curious about things to taste, I guess.

korupt

Post   » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:23 am

Is funny.. she has my personality, yet I refer to her (jokingly of course) as the mean little piggy. I sat up with her alot of the night and talked to her, and told her she was mean little piggy for freaking me out, and being a jewelry thief. That little creature loves shiny thingys, thats for sure. Then again.. she is a little girly.

Well. She had a good night. Played ALL night. She thought the extra carrots were a little piggy nirvana, along with the extra hay. I put her in a smaller pen so I could watch her better, and monitor droppings. Her other pen.. I clean it constantly, and it seems like she always finds new places to hide them. Its pretty large, so monitoring that would be hard in it. She isnt happy about being confined somewhere smaller, but she will get over it. Her pen is beside my bed so I could wake up and check on her when I finally went to sleep last night.

This morning, she is still perky. Playing. Eating. Drinking. Napping (she is a lazy lazy little piggy..) Talked to the vet again. He said he felt like she would be fine if she was still acting normal now, 20 hours out. He also said guineas have the tendancy to hide things in their cheeks and spit them out later, and that he felt like she probably didnt even swallow it, but to still watch her to be sure.

He said they are sorta like ferrets in the sense tht when they take something, they have a MINE!!! attitude and wouldnt have spit it out for me, but might have later, so to vaccuum her pen reallllly carefully, and look for it.

Wouldnt surprise me. She's stubborn, and territorial. She pitches a fit if I rearrange her house, or take a toy out that shes half destroyed. Like I said.. she's a little fuzzy version of me.

But yeah.. shes fine this morning. I am about to clean out her little "sick bay" and check droppings (EW!) She is sitting here next to me fussing about it. I think she misses her Hidey House.. She does like the fact that I wrapped her in a old tshirt. I'll have to annex some shirts into the "Daisy Stuff".

Thanks for the concern. I will keep you updated.

korupt

Post   » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:29 am

As a side note.. off topic.. now that we know guineas are interested in piercings... they also like tattoos..

Luckily, this isnt a danger.. BUT... it is pretty funny to watch.

My husband and I have a few tattoos each. She will run over to them, and stare down at them like they are alien. She will run her nose over them and almost like she is tracing them. She is FAR more interested in tattooed areas than normal skin. Maybe she wonders why the big fur-less things have colors on them?!?

Do guinea piggys see color? I should probably go ask this on another page. I have always wondered that though.. what their vision level is. Like.. supposedly dogs dont see colors.. and mice see better in the dark.. I just always wondered what she sees. And her depth of vision. Sometimes it seems like she doesnt see me until I get close. Might just be my imagination though. She may just be deciding not to acknowledge me until I appear with carrot. She does have a royalty complex. :-)

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:38 am

Glad she is acting okay. I would limit the carrots, as they are high in sugar, and you don't want another problem. One every other day is good, more than one in a single day is not good for them. I know you are trying to get the piercing out-if in fact she did swallow it-but you don't want to upset her digestion and sugar levels by giving her too many carrots.

Good luck.

korupt

Post   » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:46 am

Thanks for the tip about the carrots... I didnt know that.

What would be something good I could give her with lots of fiber. The vet was like.. "Whatever she will eat that has some good roughage." So he wasnt a huge help.

She is not amused by parsley/cilantro type things. Bananas are equally not amusing. Tomatos she MIGHT eat. Still a big might. Cucumbers are ok but nothing spectacular... I say all this to give you an idea of her tastes.

She eats hay like crazy and her pellets of course.. lots of water. I havent tried anything like broccoli or dark veggies because of the horror stories I had read about calcium and all. I keep meaning to buy bell peppers and try those.

Any suggestions?