Soft poop-please help

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:13 am

I have only read the last few posts, but blood in her stools is very worrisome, even more than lose stools. Right away, I think something is going on with her internally or she has a parasite like coccidia.

I don't know if I would give her own poop in a soup right now to her. She maybe better off with a healthier pigs' stools.

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:14 am

I think another fecal is in order...she just keeps doing this over and over. It is frustrating to keep finding nothing.

I really wonder if this is why she was dumped at a shelter...

But, stinky poop or not, she is with us to stay...hope it is for a long time too! I just love her so!

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:17 am

Weaver, my vet thinks coccidia because fecals came back neg so he put her on albon and flagyl.

Poop soup is courtesy of her buddies. Both are healthy and good poops.

What else internally do you think? I wonder if this is IBS or something...I got her from the rescue on Oct 17th and we have had this on and off since. This is her 2nd albon treatment. Nothing has yet to be found on fecal.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:22 am

Has your vet tried her on Metronidzole (Flagl) yet? A while back I took in a pig that was experiencing the same things you are talking about and it just never got better. I kept having fecals done on her and they kept coming back negative. She was put on albon and that did nothing. We than put her on Flagl for a week and she got better.

Until you figure out what is wrong with her I would be careful feeding veggies, and only feed her wet lettuces. No extra veggies and especially avoid carrots and peppers.

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:37 am

he did add flagyl to the albon this time...

I thought the lettuce was part culprit so I gave pepper...perhaps I should with hold all for 24 hrs?

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:07 am

I would hold back the veggies until you find out what is making her belly so upset.

I have several elderly pigs that just can't tolerate peppers. Peppers tend to make some pigs very gassy.

GeepersCreepers

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:10 am

My piggy, Boo, is going through similar thing too, she hasnt had blood in poops yet I really hope she doesnt.

Just wanted learn from other people experiences as Im so worried about her and nothing seems to be helping at the moment.
How long should Flagyl take to see any improvements?

Her poos were very squashy again this morning and had to have a bath

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:18 am

so this morning I got up to give her meds and she had some perfect poops (2) mixed in with some that were soft (not total mush but softer than I like). These all came out of her within a 5 minute period...like they were all formed at the same time.

This seems strange to me...

Geepers, it seems flagyl helped within 24 hours to make her have some good poops but it has not totally resolved yet. She has been on since Sun pm.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:39 pm

Thanks for the input on this subject Lynx & Weaver.

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:39 pm

Ok, a few questions:

Can yeast be found on an office fecal or does it need to be cultured?

If her office fecal was neg should I pay to send it out to check for yeast?

Can a pig die from yeast over growth?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:15 pm

I don't really know enough to give you good answers but I do not think a pig can die from a yeast overgrowth. But it is important to know what is causing it. The intestinal flora have changed somehow.

I also suspect yeast is common in the environment and is one of the things that can get out of control. Think about humans and how women can develop yeast infections after being on antibiotics. Their intestinal flora is disrupted and the yeast overgrows.

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:28 pm

Thanks Lynx!

here is why I asked...the fecals came back neg but we are treating for possible coccidia because it is common, hard to find and can kill a pig.

However, Sierra has had this problem on and off since I got her from the rescue on Oct 17th. So, my thought is...if it was something serious wouldn't she be getting worse, or perhaps died already rather than soft poops? She still eats, drinks and begs for veggies...

My vet said that he did not see anything on the fecal so the next step is to send it out to see if it grows something. He does not want me to pay a lot of money for tests right now and said if the albon and falgyl did not do the trick he would consider a course of nystatin next. He thinks she just does not look that sick and her poops are not true diarrhea...

He is a freind so he always tries to save me money where he can...he also never charges me an office visit, just meds a labs etc.

Does this sound like possible yeast and does this sound like a good plan of action?