Soft poop-please help

JoePig

Post   » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:43 pm

You are probably right. Sierra's gas is most likely from her ongoing stomach problems. But, as you also noticed with Cassanova, pigs can get gas from the food they eat too; and each pig is sensitive to different foods, just like people (and dogs, etc.)

I have not noticed my pigs getting gas from hay. I have noticed that one of my pigs gets gas because he lays around too much. A pig will lay around more when they are not feeling well. Even just a little runnig around on the floor helps.

Brenda B

Post   » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:02 pm

I get her out often but she seems to be to afraid to explore like the other 2. She has only been here 2 weeks and most of those have been with me forcing meds at her every day...

Brenda B

Post   » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:51 pm

It seems like the albon may finally be working (almost 2 weeks like everyone said!) as Sierra has not had a mushy poop for over 24 hours.

She is doing a lot of poop, some quite large but all firm. She is still a bit gassy and has mild bloating, especially right before she poops...so I am watching her very carefully.

She has stopped wheeking for veggies...poor thing must have given up all hope of veggies. So tonight I followed JoePig's advice and gave her a small piece of green bean washed very well. She was quite thrilled with that!

So far she has tolerated it well...

I am fearful she may suddenly take a turn for the worse...

I want to make sure I thank everyone who responded to my posts. You all got me through this and I am happy to have "met" you!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:56 pm

It's nice to have good news.

nonamian_girl

Post   » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:41 am

Yay! I hope it stays this way :)

Brenda B

Post   » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:57 pm

She is still a bit bloated so I am giving simethicone and massage...but she is pooping like crazy...and it is not completely normal but not total mush...so still improved over what it was.

I am very hopeful. :)

One benefit is that she does not run from me anymore...she is so used to me picking her up now that she wheeks but does not freak out. We have a bond...

nonamian_girl

Post   » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:48 pm

Hi Brenda, how's she doing today?

Brenda B

Post   » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:03 pm

She was very gassy this morning so I gave her simethicone and tummy massage. She is still a bit on the soft side for poops. Not as bad as they were but not perfect...

I made them a bigger cage last night and Cassanova and Guinness went bonkers. (Guinness was even humping Cass to his dismay).Sierra is very mellow...not sure if it is just her way or if she really just does not feel good.

She is eating well and seems fine otherwise so we continue on our last week of albon...

If you have any suggestions or thoughts I would love to hear them :)

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:49 am

ok, we have a pattern of soft poops in the morning, getting better as the day progresses.

we are on week 3 of albon so I would think coccidia would be out now. Also 3 cultures came back negative.

do pigs get irritable bowl? and what do I do if so????

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:58 am

Yes, they can. I have one with it, but I went through multiple courses of antibiotics over 2 years before it was diagnosed and then it wasn't diagnosed until she started bleeding rather profusely from her rectum. She's been on prednisone since-over 2 years now. And she still has soft stool on and off but very few bleeding episodes and none as bad as the first.

I'v hesitated posting this because I don't want pigs put on pred too quickly. Pred has lots of side effects, especially with long term use. We are starting to see some of those. My Hershey is losing her battle, but she's still fighting and so am I, until she lets me know she's had enough.

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:13 am

she has no pain or bleeding...just mushy poops at times and normal at others...

oh, and gets gassy at times too

JoePig

Post   » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:02 pm

I'm sorry to hear Sierra is still having problems. (She probably thinks she is not having problems at all and would you PLEASE open the veggie drawer now?!)

mkkayla, just so I can learn, you was Hershey diagnosed with irritable bowel? Does it show up on x-ray?