Soft poop-please help

Brenda B

Post   » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:49 pm

tried baby food...more ON me than IN her...so tomorrrow I will buy some Odawalla Superfood...

JoePig

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:36 am

My pigs only like the apple-banana CC.
Not the "original" CC, which is kind of anise smelling.

Mixing the apple-banana CC with unsweetened applesauce was a huge hit.

Brenda B

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:55 am

today her poops seems worse...

she is eating and drinking and I see her eat some of her own special poops...maybe she reinfected herself???

she acts normal but her poops are extra soft today...

Brenda B

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:01 pm

Every time I hold her I wonder if it will be the last time...I am having bad feelings about this.

She is on flagyl and albon, getting CC mixed with pedialyte and poop soup...what else can I do???

I love sitting and watching tv whith her...I twist her long locks of hair while she snuggles under me neck...I will miss that...my other 2 are short haired.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:16 pm

She's not gone yet! I worry about Ellie too, but this has gone on for a while. I think if we try the things our vets suggest & keep a close watch on them - weight, behavior - they're not in immediate danger. I hope.

Brenda B

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:25 pm

Thanks Bookfan...her poops are just so soft today. Not liquid but softer than ever.

I just called the vet and he is going to refill her AB's and go another week.

I just went to the fridge and she came running out of her pigloo wheeking for veggies...guess that is a good sign...when no veggies appeared she went back in though...

Brenda B

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:08 pm

Bookfan...how long does Ellie have soft poops when she has an 'attack" of it?

We had no good poops for another day...Doc wants me to stop putting pedialyte in the cc, thinks maybe the dextrose may be too upsetting to her...so I am using water now.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:57 pm

Don't give up on her. Sidney fought this battle for months before we got her feeling better. Just make sure she keeps eatting. Her soft poop maybe a side effect of the flagyl. Flagyl has been known to give tummy aches.

Brenda B

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:26 pm

We gave her the flagyl because of the soft poops to begin with. Any suggestions on anything to help?

Tonight she chased Cass around the cage and did one popcorn...

I am not giving up...just down in the dumps today...my daughter got sick, I gave my son a black eye when he ran up behind me while I was vacuuming (I was on the back motion and ran it right into his eye and laid him out on the floor), our new house leaks (1st rain today) and my dogs had a fight and I got bit breaking it up...it's been a day for sure!

Brenda B

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:47 pm

should I give her a break from the flagyl for a day?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:38 pm

"Bookfan...how long does Ellie have soft poops when she has an 'attack" of it?"

My daughter says she usually has 2 days of soft or mushy poops, then a day of formed ones. It varies. But in the last 3 weeks she's done this thing of arching her back and making a pain sound some of the time when she poops on her bad days. She has had an xray & the vet didn't see any stones or anything else wrong. I know your little girl doesn't do this.

I don't have an answer for the flagyl question. I don't make changes without consulting the vet. In fact Ellie seemed worse after she started the Bactrim & we called the vet and she wanted her to stay on it.

In general, stopping an antibiotic before you or the pig has taken the full course of treatment leads to antibiotic resistant bacteria - super bugs. They're the ones that have survived a few days of medicine and are the stronger ones. Then you have the stronger bacteria left to multiply.

Brenda B

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:14 pm

Thanks Bookfan. She actually has been doing a little arching thing but no noise when she has a bad poop.

Just how mushy are Ellie's? Sierra was having mushy formed poops. Today she leaves little wet lumps everywhere.

She has been on the AB's for 8 days now...