Soft poop-please help

JoePig

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:14 pm

Brenda B, yes, even if your piggie is getting no veggies it is really good practice to watch the calcium content of your pet's food. Your pig may never have a bladder stone issue (knock on wood), but it is such a common health issue in guinea pigs both young (my pig was diagnosed at 1-1/2) and old.

Mum did say it would take two weeks for the Albon to work and it has not been two weeks yet.
nonamian_girl said that her pig had similar issue lately and she thought it was a reaction to lettuce:
The problem cleared up eventually, we think what actually caused it was lettuce we bought from a different store than we normally go to. It must have had some kind of pesticide that she was sensitive to.
I would try no veggies until the poops are normal for a day again. Then I would give a small portion of one type of veggie that is easily cleaned, like bell pepper or a piece of green bean. I know she's been waiting for her veggies, but even people cannot have "creamy bacon and sausage soup" after the stomach flu.

Brenda B

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:23 pm

thanks JoePig! Her poops get better with no veggies...still not perfect ovals but less mush so I will wait a couple of days I think...she is getting a vit C pill so she will be good..

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:16 pm

Maybe lay off the parsely? It seems to be upsetting Max's tum. He's been doing well on fresh grass, but any other greens are still giving him mushy stink poo. Lynx told me to trial a veg for more like a week rather than a few days. Unless, of course, it's causing really bad problems.

JoePig

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:03 pm

Because this little pig is having a tough time after a stomach upset, I would take it very slowly.

I would not do soft leafy greens from a store because they are harder to clean then peppers, celery, honeydew, a chunk of apple, piece of green bean, etc.

Because this little pig has had a rough time, I would avoid raw fruits and veggies that give people gas: cucumber seeds, cabbage, califlower, and so on.

I suggested grass (from a trusted place) because it is so close to hay; very high in fiber, will help keep the molars healthy and it has a little water in it.

I would give one tiny piece of food, and wait 12 hours. I mean I normally give veggies to my pigs before work and when I get home from work, so that's about 12 hours a part. But at least you can see what the reaction is to the food. See if you can have to stop or if you can give another little piece of fruit or veggie.

I know how frustrating and worrisome it is when they keep relapsing. Something was eaten, maybe before Brenda B brought her home, that started all this. (It may just be a sensitivity to a particular food.) And since piggies eat some of their poops, they are pretty good at reinfecting themselves.

I've noticed exercise can also help. Pigs that sit too much in one spot have smaller, mushier, deformed droppings. Take that same pig and let it run around? You can really see improvement.

Brenda B, keep it up! Your pig does appreciate it!

Brenda B

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:48 pm

ok, they are back to mush AGAIN, and I gave no veggies for 24 hours. So, I gave poop soup from a pig that just dropped a healthy poop. Then out for floor time but she just sat...she is still not used to our house.

She is eating tons of hay and average amount of oxbow pellets...and pooping a lot...just mushy and greenish in color. She drinks more than the other pigs but maybe because her poos are wetter so she needs more hydration?

I am also cleaning her cage EVERY day...

We are one week on albon. When should I start to really worry (like more than I am now?)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:30 pm

Has she had a fecal smear? Maybe the albon is not the right treatment.

www.guinealynx.info/.html

Brenda B

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:41 pm

2 fecals showed nothing...but I am not sure if bacteria would show as you usually have to grow a culture for that right?

Brenda B

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:49 pm

I have flagyl on hand for when my yorkie had vomiting and diarrhea in July..but I am afraid to give her anything different on my own...

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:34 pm

You may see better results after week 2. Fecal cultures are not always conclusive

Brenda B

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:38 pm

yeah, my vet told me they were not absolute and that is why he put her on albon.

So it is not unusual to have soft poops this long on albon? I am so afraid she will die.

I just always get speedy results with my dogs so I am getting very anxious.

nonamian_girl

Post   » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:57 am

Just how soft is the poop?

The only reason I noticed Georgia's problem at first was because the girls kept having poopy paws. Then it got worse, but it got better in stages, ie they went back to being a good shape but still soft for a bit.

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:10 pm

They are like mud. They got better, then worse.

They do have a form to them when they come out, but they squish like mud as they walk over them. Not oval but differnt oblong shapes.

What finally fixed Georgia's issue?