Soft poop-please help

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:13 am

Well, Sierra is down almost 20 grams again. :(

I am so wiped out. She is eating. I see her. Just not eating for very long like the other 2. I keep telling myself not to panic unless she goes under 900grams.

She still eats her lettuces with great enthusiasm. It is the hay and pellets that she picks at.

So, next plan is to go to the Bunny Bunch today and get some different hay. Maybe a change from the orchard grass hay will help.

I also will do CC 2x a day still (7am and 7pm)

Right now she and Cass are rubbing noses and my heart is breaking that she has something wrong and will not be with us much longer. I love her so much.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:36 pm

She's pulled through before so don't give up on her. She must be pretty tough. It's so exhausting when a pig isn't doing well and needs lots of special care.

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:16 pm

She is just so little and dainty compared to the other 2. And her demeanor is so different. So non confrontational. I really think I need to pull Guinness out permanently. But where to put her?

I know she is a tough girl. I will not give up. I just worry so much about her though.

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:07 pm

ok, back from the Bunny Bunch. I got the Bunny Blend hay. Gorgeous and fragrant. She dove in (as did the other 2 pigs) and ate for a full 5 minutes. But, she stopped and they are still going.

She just does not eat as much lately.

Brenda B

Post   » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:50 am

ok, she has been eating on her own. I decided to skip the critical care last night. At 11:30 my husband came to bed and reported that "she ate hay, ran down stairs, drank water and went to her bed". (Funny how much he complains about them but then builds them lofts, gets them veggies and thinks to watch them while I am getting my much needed sleep)

I got up at 2 and peeked in just incase she needed me. She was nibbling from the handful of hay placed in front of her bed.

Today she is holding at 915 grams (still down about 15-25 from her average) but no loss today.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:33 am

Sounds like she's holding steady.

My husband who *acts* like he doesn't care about the pigs has really bonded with Celia during her illness. In the morning he holds her in his lap for a while as he works. : )

Brenda B

Post   » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:55 am

I decided to skip the critical care this morning since she is eating. So, she has gone 24 hours without any extra.

Brenda B

Post   » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:33 pm

She was 897 grams when I got home from work. And she is now chasing Cass and nipping his butt.

Brenda B

Post   » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:38 pm

ok, could it be ovarian cysts? She has 2 0f 4 symptoms...

A slight loss and redistribution of weight Her shoulders become bonier and abdomen, rounder. She became a pickier eater, refusing her green pepper. (She is losing weight and picky)
Sexually aggressive. She became very pmsy and mounted her cage mates on a regular basis, also displayed herself. (Just got on Cass)
Enlarged nipples. Nipples seemed to be slightly enlarged and developed a crust. (Don't see crust)

Hair loss. A general thinning of hair, and later, loss on the sides of the abdomen (Snowflake pulled out her own hair). Healthy skin. No scratching. (Don't see hair loss)

Brenda B

Post   » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:42 pm

oh, I cut and pasted the symptoms from the GL medical site

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:52 pm

If the aggressive behavior persists, it sounds like there is some sort of hormonal problem that would be taken care of by a spay. You need a skilled and experienced vet though.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:18 pm

"Her shoulders become bonier and abdomen, rounder"

Huh. That sounds like me.

When Celia was having her abscesses drained and was sedated, they did an ultrasound because they thought her ovaries felt cystic and the ultrasound confirmed it. She's gotten 2 shots for it. The vet said sometimes that helps and sometimes it doesn't.