GUINEA PIG WITH SPINAL INJURY...CAN YOU HELP

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:40 pm

Great news! Way to go Dudley.

I'd keep up the pain meds until I knew he was a good as he was going to get and not in pain anymore.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:21 pm

I would keep ramping down his pain meds slowly and keep an eye out for how he's doing. Melixocam is a really great medicine but it is a medication and can have side effects. Give it when he needs it, don't when he doesn't.

lainier

Post   » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:47 pm

Thanks so much everyone. Dudley is sitting on my lap and is tugging on my sweatshirt, letting me know he wants a little snack! He knows it works, cheeky boy.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:14 am

Yay for Dudley! He is very fortunate to have you caring for him. :)

lilMsNibbles1

Post   » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:16 pm

Hi All!
New to forum. My issue is my dog (who is not vicious at all) picked Nibbles up while my childen had her out of the cage (without permission 3&4 yrs old) The dog (Stoli) mothers Nibbles. Stoli picked her up and dropped her by the cage but pushed her under the bed to hide her.(Telling on the kids) her cage is next to my bedside. (Safer).
Im calling for her, rattling wrappers and no response. Usually, she would be sqealing. Get a flashlight and see her laying there. Pick her up and she is alert so I figure she is using a defense mechanism (playing dead). Howeve when I set her down in front of her favorite food I noticed she was not walking correctly then fell to her side. I freaked! Im also in the medical field. I know there is an injury. Where is the issue. Not taking ny chances, I immediately give prednisone. I only have my pills so I did the best I could. (.25 up to 2 mg) then 1/2 or 10ml of childrens Motrin. Im on day 2 and she is alert eating and drinking, pooping, etc. If I feel like she is anxious I administer Valium.
Keeping her calm as possible to alleviate more pain, further injury, stress, restrictng movement. She is not paralyzed. Moved head, arms, feet. I just cannot narrow down exact injury. Any ideas would be helpful. As of now, I have her in a brace to stabalize her but bent the brace to conform to natural positioning. Keep her clean, found same plug in urethra and she generally has impaction in the morning due to pooping constantly. She gets cleaned, any impaction removed, then held, water by syringe and hand fed. Newborn baby basically. Med dosage per vet dosing chart. She also sleeps on top of her cage in a basket with a fleece blanket. So I have her within arms reach at all times. I had the same issue with worrying about her sitting in pee and feces. My solution is a sanitary napkin. WORKS VERY WELL! Place it underneath using adhesive to keep it in place. Underneath or between legs. Avoiding burns and keeping dry and odor. Any suggestions or injury ideas would help greatly. I have no vets skilled in this type of care. I dont want any guessing. Plus I am able to treat at home. I dont trust any vet to manipulate her for even an x-ray. Unless they have the skills. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:57 pm

Sounds like you're doing the right things. Time may help her, or not, but it'll take a while to know. I'm hoping things will improve. But I would take her for an x-ray. It would be helpful to know if something is broken, or whether it's a soft tissue injury.

But I will say, depending on three and four year olds to ask permission before handling a guinea pig is not a wise move. You need a locked lid on that cage, and YOU need to be the one catching the pig. The kid should be sitting on the floor and having the pig put in their laps. Guinea pig backs are very fragile, and children that age are both too young to understand exactly what should be done, and lack the physical coordination to safely grab and catch them if they're going to fall.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:27 pm

Ditto bpatters on your doing the right things (so far as I know). If you aren't now, I would also weigh her daily since making sure she is eating enough is important. Hand feed if she is not eating enough.

If you haven't already, examine her carefully for accidental puncture wounds, too.

lilMsNibbles1

Post   » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:28 pm

Hi! Thanks!
Correct, bpatters. There are locks and the kids ARE NOT ALLOWED to handle her. They may pet her if I have her out. They are to young for laps as well. This just happened to be a freak accident. (Human error) I will take her for an xray if no change. As of now she is moving all legs and her head. Reaching for hay. I will keep y'all posted.