Fur Mites -- How long do the eggs stick around?

J-LPigcard

Post   » Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:58 pm

Those awful things look like eggs to me. It is very possible that you can´t see any critters, because you may have already eliminated the population of lice or mites and that you just have empty eggshells left. Mites and lice both lay eggs but don´t make coccoons. They don´t metamorphose, just get bigger and shed their exoskeletons with each molt. They can cement the eggs to the hair shaft with a very effective protein "glue," hence the difficulty in just pulling the eggs off. If you can look at one of those things under a microscope under fairly low power, you should be able to tell for sure that those are eggshells and not static lice, since you will be able to find legs on those static lice.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Mar 21, 2002 3:36 pm

This doesn,t make any sense since mites are not visible to the naked eye to start with. So obviously, you won´t be able to see then, whether or not the problem is solved.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 21, 2002 3:37 pm

I agree they are eggs or something like that. Not a bug at all.

---------------------------

Evangeline, mange mites are not visible to the naked eye but fur mites are (reportedly).
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Mar 21, 2002 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Mar 21, 2002 3:40 pm

Yeah, but I wasn´t under the impression fur mites were discussed. I thought "mites" refered to mites in general. My mistake, I guess.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 21, 2002 3:43 pm

Check the title of the thread:

Fur Mites -- How long do the eggs stick around?

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Mar 21, 2002 3:47 pm

What do you want me to tell you? I said it was my mistake.