Olivia Tripod's Med Thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:38 pm

Thanks! I cropped and optimized the pics and added them to the thread.

unicornvr

Post   » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:04 am

Olivia falls over and cannot right herself a lot. It can happen up to once a day.

She has to be on crushed foam bedding or she gets bumblefoot. I would say she is slightly overweight. She is free fed hay and lots of greens, about 1/16c pellets per day. (I scatter 1/8c in the cage for the two girls).

Any suggestions on how to keep her upright?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:35 am

Can you slowly remove the pellets? Encourage more movement around the cage?

What is crushed foam bedding?

I am sorry she is doing poorly.

If she was having difficulty walking, a cart of some sort might help her move and stay upright. I wonder if some sort of "outrigger" wheels could help her stay upright? Would depend on obstacles in the cage and you'd need a smooth floor.

unicornvr

Post   » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:19 pm

I have a link to the crushed foam in post from 2/25/09 in this thread. It's basically foam that's shredded into small pieces. I have it in several garbage bags in the cage. Then a whelping pad on top of the garbage bad. Then fleece on top of that. It completely cushions the cage floor. We have tried for a flat floor a couple times since the bumbles, but she shows signs of redness fairly soon.

I put the food all over the cage so she has to hop around to get it. She doesn't really have mobility issues actually. I can call her from the other side of the cage with a treat and she will come over quickly. It's just that if she hits the floor wrong, she will tumble onto her back. Because of the lack of the front foot, she can't right herself. This wouldn't happen on a flat floor, but I don't think we have that option.

I could probably phase out the pellets for a while. Would I have to worry about nutrients? They get a mix of four greens a week - whatever's good at the grocery. Timothy and/or bluegrass hay. The hay is wetted and added daily.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:55 pm

Just curious, unicornvr, why do you wet the hay? Doesn't that make it stink very quickly?

unicornvr

Post   » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:49 pm

Olivia's cagemate Alix has eye problems that seem to be exacerbated by dry hay which is quite dusty. I have only done the wet hay in winter so far, but no problems at all yet. Since it is cool and dry, the hay dries pretty quickly in their cage. In the summer, I may have to try misting it instead or doing smaller portions in more frequent feedings. It is already a pain, so I would not recommend it unless it is necessary. I used to feed it up in racks, now it is also down on the floor to help prevent little particulates going into the eye.

The only other good thing is that the cats don't eat it now. I guess it all stays in the cage or is unappealing. The pigs still love it though.

unicornvr

Post   » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:11 pm

I fed the piggies their greens and some tomato, and they were thrilled and munching away as usual. About 2-3 hours later, Olivia was upside down. I placed her right side up as usual. When this happens, it takes 5-10 minutes for her to reorient herself. Mrs. Unicornvr went in 15 minutes later and Olivia was barely breathing and completely nonresponsive. We held her for a bit and her eyes started to glaze, so we elected for euthanasia.

The only thing I can think of is possible GI torsion from struggling in an upside down position. Poor Olivia. She was always our most people friendly pig despite the traumas of leg amputation and bumblefoot dealings. Even with a shattered shoulder or surgery, she was always always eating so the nonresponse was a terrible sign.

She will be sorely, sorely missed.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:24 pm

I'm so sorry you lost Olivia. She was a special girl.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:01 pm

I'm sorry you lost her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:16 pm

I am so sorry she's gone.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:21 pm

How sad. I'm sorry. Rest well sweet girl.

ElvisTCB

Post   » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:28 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a brave little girl she was!