Molly fell and are onw dragging both back legs

lainier

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:46 pm

See post below, had some problems.
Last edited by lainier on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lainier

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi there,
I was wondering how Molly is doing? I would not recommend keeping her in the sling other than when you are doing massage and physio or at least not for extended periods of time. It sounds as if she can move around a little bit and she should be able to do that when the need arises I think. Dudley lay in one spot for a couple of weeks and I changed his pads beneath him two or three times a day and once a night to make certain that he did not get urine scald. Occasionally he would drag himself off of the blankets and some mornings I would find that he had turned himself around to get his special droppings.
Did your vet give you more meloxicam?
Would love to hear how it's going,
I agree with Maremma, it is probably a really good idea for Molly to have as much contact with the others as possible, so she doesn't get too bored and depressed. At least so that she can hear them squeaking and eating etc.
Keep up the good work.

poppypiggy

Post   » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:57 pm

Thank you for your ideas and concern, maremma and lainier! The story about your sad, sweet little Lovebug is very touching, maremma! I am so glad you found a way to make her happy again!

I am sorry I have not updated sooner, but it has been so busy. The good news is that Molly is doing sooo fine, considering the situation, I can hardly believe it!

I have had her in the sling at least twice every day, but never left her alone there, I can assure you, lainier. I have massaged her feet 10 – 15 minutes, sometimes more, in the morning and in the evening, and the swelling has gone down, thankfully. In the beginning I didn't feel it made any difference with the massaging, but after a while it certainly did.

Molly is bright eyed and active, she moves around a bit, and eats well. Just to be sure I weigh her every day, and feed her some critical care in the morning.

I have put the hay bin for the others up on the longest side of Molly’s enclosure, and there is almost always a pig there, so she gets much company, and eats accordingly. Pippi has been particularly good at cheering her up, and has been sticking her nose through the grids ever so often. Sometimes Molly comes to touch nose with her, at other times she is her angry little self and chatter her teeth at her, but Pippi is not offended.

Today I took Molly to the vet for a check up, and the vet was very pleased about the improvement. The reflexes in Molly’s left leg are very good, and when on the examination table she even put the leg under her a little bit. The reflexes in the right leg are not so good, but not worse than before, so they might still improve with time and exercise.T

The vet also palpated Molly’s back in the area of the fracture. Obviously that was still painful, as Molly started to shiver (but after a few minutes she was back to normal again), so I will continue to give her Metacam for some time still; I guess I have to go by my own gut feeling here.

In about a week we will start out very carefully with water therapy. Hopefully that will improve the recovery even more. Next check up at the vet is in another two weeks.

I will keep you posted!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:06 pm

I'm so glad to hear that Molly is doing well. I hope the progress keeps up.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:34 pm

Be careful with the water therapy. I know Peter Gurney was a big fan, but I worry it may frighten her too much and cause excessive movements and more harm. When I was new to pigs I filled up the tub and tried this. It was NOT popular! I almost envision it safer if you're sitting in the tub with her and holding her gently to see if she's willing to swim a bit so you'll be able to totally surround her and keep her safe.

maremma

Post   » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:59 pm

Thank you so much for the update.

I have to second the concern with putting her in water. I know out of all the pigs I have ever had to put in water (to bathe) none were thrilled.

I do have one that sat there as if he had no idea he was even in water. LOL Three others you could see by their facial expressions they were not amused but did not panic or try to get out but the rest it was VERY clear they were scared to death and desprate to escape.

poppypiggy

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:17 am

Thank you, Bugs Mum! And thanks for the warnings, rshevin and maremma!

I will take everything very easy, and give Molly a chance to get used to the water slowly. I intend to just let her sit in half an inch of luke warm water the first few times, and then increase the depth slowly if she seems to think it is OK to be there.

rshevin - I have also read Peter Gurney's description of how he gave a pig water therapy, and how that pig came to enjoy it. But of course, all pigs are different, and I will definitely not do anything to Molly that can harm her. If it doesn't work I will discontinue and find another way.

One possibility is to fasten wheels to the harness I already have made. But since Pippi was so scared from wearing the harness, I am afraid Molly will be too, and harming herself when trying to rid herself of it. It might be a matter of getting her used to wear it though; I just have to try carefully what works best.

lainier

Post   » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:43 pm

Hi there,
Water therapy worries me. I took care of another guinea pig with a back injury about 12 years ago and I tried water therapy with him. He seemed to be making progress as far as helping the movement in his back legs but he somehow caught a chill or got water on his lungs and died as a result. I was extremely careful not to get his head in the water and I also dried him off very thoroughly so they are obviously very susceptible to chills and water on the lungs. I would stick with the harness and massage and gentle physio, it seems to be a safer route.
Really glad that the swelling has gone down in her leg, keep up the good work with the massage, it really does help doesn't it.

Perpetual Pig Slave

Post   » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:09 pm

Have you bathed Molly in the past?
Her reaction to bathing in the past might give you a clue as to whether she will be a relaxed pig or spazzed out in the water.

poppypiggy

Post   » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:15 pm

Thank you for your concern, lainier and Perpetual Pig Slave! I have tried to bathed Molly a few times before, and she has not been exactly thrilled with it, but not very stressed out either.

The last two days I have had her in the kitchen sink, with only about two inches of water, for about 5 - 10 minutes, and so far she has been relatively relaxed. I will continue to take it very easy, though, and take her out at once if she doesn't seem to like being in the water. I will also make sure she is absolutely dry before she goes back to her cage. Glad you reminded me of that, lainier!

I am a bit worried about Molly's back, or rather her pelvis, at the moment. Everything seems so asymmetrical on her now. She tucks up the left leg most of the time, and keeps it under her when resting, whereas the right leg is stretched out, and quite limp, so her back is curved to the right all the time. When I put her in the sling it is more straight, but she can't be there unless I am with her, of course. I am almost certain that this curving is caused by the inactivity, and her tendency to lay on one side, but I wonder if it will become permanent if I don't do anything to make her work with both legs soon.

I have carefully tried the harness on Molly today, too, but she obviously has a different figure than Pippi, as it don't fit very well on her. I might have to make a new one.

I do massage Molly at least twice a day, but I might have to increase that even more. I think it helps, but more for the left side than the right at the moment. In fact I am not sure if there has been any improvement in the right leg at all.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:04 pm

No advice here just encouragement for both you and Molly. I hope she keeps up the progress and the right side starts responding.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:45 am

Hope Molly is well today. If I had any dexterity I would make a pig in space harness for Pandora. Anything to take the weight off her feet.