Molly fell and are onw dragging both back legs

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:35 pm

If she's eating then she still has fight left in her. I have no direct knowledge but I do know there have been success stories of dogs and cats that do very well with "wheels" so I don't know why, with special care, a guinea pig won't.

You'll just have to see what transpires tomorrow and decide for yourself. Good luck and I hope it goes well for you both.

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:39 pm

Might want to wait until you see the x-rays. ;) I expected to see babies and a stone last night on Pumpkin's x-rays and neither was present which was a relief.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:46 pm

Time really can make a big difference. Some pigs recover after a few days (or longer). I would look at how she is doing and how well she is eating (quality of life) and give her a chance.

poppypiggy

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:01 pm

Thanks for your encouragement - it is very much appreciated! I have to wait and see what tomorrow brings, but hope for the best. And I will allways try to have Molly's best interests in mind. Her quality of life must be the most important. She is such a sweet pig and loves her chin scrithces and attention from her humans, even if she can be pretty mean to the other pigs, especially Pippi.

I am glad there was no pups and no stone on Pumkin's x-ray, GuineaPigFun.
un!

lainier

Post   » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:10 am

I've sent you an e-mail about my guinea pig Dudley who had a spinal injury in October. Most importantly, give her time to heal if your vet thinks there is hope. It took Dudley a couple of months to heal and I think that the meloxicam really helped with the pain and inflammation.
Best of luck with Molly.

poppypiggy

Post   » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:17 am

Thank you so much, lainier - I got your mail! We are off to the vets in a few minutes. Wish us luck!

tiggyswift

Post   » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:22 am

I agree that she still has fight left in her. As long as she is eating and drinking well, give her time to heal. It is amazing what time can heal.
Good luck at the vet! Keep fighting Molly! You are one amazing little girl!

poppypiggy

Post   » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:12 am

Thanks, tiggyswift!

We are back from the vet now, and the news are not very encouraging, as there is a severe fracture in Molly's spine between her second and third rib (counted from the "tail"). But there is also some reflexes in both legs, so there is a small chance that she can recover, at least to a degree. I have the x-rays with me, and hope to find a way to digitize them, so I can post them here.

I know many other vets here would have suggested euthanasia at once, but this one is educated in UK (Edinburgh), and has a more "modern" aproach, so she said we shall wait and see if by any chance Molly will heal by her self. She will of course get metacam to keep her as pain free as possible.

When I showed the vet the printout of the Roxy Roller tread she was amazed when I told how Roxy had recoveres so well with it, and agreed totally with my idea of making something in that direction for Molly too.

The aim will be to stabilize her spine and keep it straight, though, like a body corsette (is that the right word i English?). I am at work now, but will try to get hold of the material I need on may way home, and then start to make one as soon as I get there.

By now I think I will cut out pieces from robust plastic bottles to provide the needed stability, with one piece underneath her and another one along her back. I intend to use neoprene or somthing similar to make a harness, and then cover the inside with fleece. I have it all worked out in my head, and only have to refine the idea a bit, I hope!

If any of you have comments or ideas I will be very happy to hear them!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:31 am

If she is no longer able to get her "special droppings", see if you can help her.

We are all hoping she can recover. It would be great if you can somehow photograph (against a bright light) the xrays. Or scan them.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:57 am

Reflex action is a very good sign. Ditto Lynx. Holding good thoughts for Molly.

poppypiggy

Post   » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:52 am

Thaks you for your replies and good thoughts!

Molly can definitely not reach her "special droppings", and I have tried to offer her the little pile that builds up behind her, but so far she has not wanted any of it. I'll try arain, though. Would vitamine B supplement be a consideration later on if she continues to have this problem?

I will see if I can photograph the x-rays against a window. If that doesn't work I will try to find an appropriate scanner.

I think I have the tings I will need for making Molly's harness/corsette. I found some cute little wheels, and bought four, as I think they will stabilize the roller better than two will. I also have decided to use leather in stead of neoprene for the prototype, as I have a lot of leather scraps laying around, and neoprene was difficult to find at the moment. We'll see if it works!

maremma

Post   » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:39 pm

I am so sorry your poor baby has fallen:( Thank you so much for trying so hard to help her.

Animals are far different from humans. Even if she doesn't fully recover, It doesn't mean she has to be put to sleep. Animals frequently adjust when something bad happens and continue to enojoy their lives even with a disability.