Celia

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:52 pm

She was weighed at the vet yesterday and we weighed her today and she's lost only about 1 oz. I would have expected more.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:58 pm

Poops are good :) However few they might be. I hope the vet contacts you soon. I wish Celia starts feeling better soon.

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:22 am

Bookfan, I am so sorry you are going through this! I am not an expert by any means but I have had great success with reglan in pigs with GI issues. I would certainly ask for it.

Not sure if these AB's are good for what Celia has but albon and flagyl both were tolerated well. Albon is usually used for coccidia but my vet told me it is a sulpha AB that is good for other troubles as well.

I am sending my very best wishes your way! Keep up the tummy massages too...some days I could feel things like rocks moving in Sierra's gut when I massaged her and then lots of poops. She has been well for almost 4 months now!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:05 pm

Celia's cage is full of poops this morning!! We are so excited. We skipped the Baytril last night.

Still haven't heard from the vet. The female vet who is supposed to call goes to VIN and researches things and I hope that's what she'd doing. I won't even try the Baytril again until we talk to her.

The support from you guys is very helpful and I appreciate it.

I wonder what that was you were feeling in Sierra's gut, Brenda. She's well and healthy now which is what really counts. I'm still upset about not being able to save Elle.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:05 am

I am very happy Celia is pooping :) Unfortunately some pigs are very sensitive to Baytril :(

I hope your vet finds a suitable replacement for the Baytril, sans the side-effects.

Brenda B

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:55 am

I assume it is gas bubbles. We still get some from time to time. I massage her a couple times a week now. Used to have to do it 4 times a day! She hates it so she chatters at me sometimes when I go to the cage, until I magically produce some veggies for her! :)

Bookfan, you did everything possible for Elle! I would still be missing my pet too, but I certainly hope you don't think you had any hand in it!

My vet gives baytril as a last resort for pigs. He likes to start off with albon or bactrim first. So Celia probably is just one of those who does not do too well on baytril.

I will go to work happy to hear of her poops! Aren't we pig slaves a funny bunch? :)

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:32 pm

Yeah, whole threads on poops. : )

I don't think Sierra would be alive without all you did for her, Brenda.

We finally talked to one of the vets yesterday and she agreed to stopping the Baytril. She's still pooping and eating close to normal, but she's still bony - has been for a few months. So we need to keep force feeding her. It's a slow process.

I can't wait to get her back with her cage mate. It's obvious they miss each other, but we have to be sure the infection is gone.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:42 pm

Did the vet say if she is considering another antibiotic to replace the Baytril?

I'm happy Celia poops now :)

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:53 pm

Celia's already on chloramphenicol - has been for two weeks. The vet who did the surgery added the Baytril last week because he found additional abscesses in her cheeks which he drained. He didn't think they should have formed if the other antibiotic was doing its job.

I get his point, but... It seemed like we were going to kill her to cure her. The (different) vet who we talked to yesterday, while the other guy was off, didn't say anything about adding another antibiotic. I'm taking her in tomorrow for a recheck and I'm wondering what the vet who did the surgery is going to say.

Brenda B

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Sierra was also thin. Da Court thought so when she sat for us and the vet was concerned that she was 808 grams. I switched to KM pellets and orchard grass hay and she improved. She now fluctuates between 950-980, still small but much less boney. (Our other sow is 1165, more the size of our boar) We also did CC feedings.

Perhaps they can give AB's in an injection. I heard that they tolerate those better that way?

We will keep you all in prayer!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:13 pm

Thanks Brenda.

Celia's about 800 grams too. Our first female was really chunky. I used to call her a dowager pig. But Celia's always been on the small side, but not this small.

We're having a tough time getting her to eat CC. Today I tried squirting it on a baby carrot as she ate it. She kept trying to avoid it, but really wanted the carrot and ate most of the CC anyway. Tonight we tried the same thing with lettuce. We got most of the CC down her. But now she's wise to us. Next I'm going to try it with green pepper.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Celia was fine at her recheck. So far so good! The vet didn't add on any new antibiotics.

She's eating pretty normally, but we'd still like to increase her calories, the problem being finding something she likes that is also healthy. Trying to get critical care into her is a trial - an hour and a half for 10 ml. We've added baby carrot to it, I made little balls last night, no luck. And I assume since she's still on chlor... something, her digestive tract will be sensitive so we have to be careful.

We were augmenting with alfalfa hay but the oxbow stuff is pretty stalky and I worry about her getting stuck in her cheek. She doesn't need that.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:53 pm

I'm happy she seems fine :)

Have you tries making a juice out the veggies she likes (blender or juicer) and using the veggie juice instead of water to make the CC?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:52 pm

That's a thought. I don't have a juicer, but if I put green pepper or something in the blender do I just mix the mush up with the critical care or do I have to strain it to get the juice?

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:38 pm

Whatever makes it go through a syringe if she won't have CC balls.

Lovemypig

Post   » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:50 pm

Have you tried adding pure canned pumpkin (not the pie filling, just pure pumpkin like Libby's) or some first steps (nothing added) baby food like sweet potato or butternut squash? My pigs took their critical care much better when I added those for flavor.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:24 pm

I was just thinking about canned pumpkin last night before I went to bed. Had already forgotten it this morning. I think I'll try that next.

How long does it keep in the fridge (the pumpkin) and can you freeze it somehow?

I've tried mixing in carrot baby food - didn't help. A few weeks ago when I was just trying to put some weight on her I gave her some baby sweet potato. Not interested.

She's stubborn and way smarter than we ever knew. Last night we resorted again to using CC as veggie dip. My daughter said she would get some of the veggie with CC on it and manage to spit some of the CC back out. Wiley pig.

Lovemypig

Post   » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:35 pm

I know that people have frozen beet juice in cubes (which my pigs hated, by the way), but I'm not sure about pumpkin.

Canned pumpkin was the one flavor I could always count on. When I had to handfeed Quilt for so long, I had a nice wide range of baby food collected in the pantry. I tried so many flavors as he would like one on one day only to turn his nose up at it the next. Oddly, while he loved a regular piece of carrot in his healthy days, he always hated the carrot baby food. Go figure.

My memory is hazy at this point, but rotating favorites were butternut squash, sweet potato, green beans (but only once), mango and perhaps peach (again, maybe once). He seemed to prefer the Gerber First Steps over the other brands' competing lines.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:12 pm

The texture would change slightly but I think you could try freezing it. Small amounts, an icecube tray maybe, pop them out and put them in a larger container. Take out a cube when you need it.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:15 pm

Thanks for the input. Sounds like a good plan.

Does the quantity mixed with the critical care matter? As of last week, the vet didn't want to overdo on veggies unless she was eating normal amounts of hay, especially. I think she is now.

72 posts