Lily, the fluffy, fluffy Texel

tara8301
Supporter in '10

Post   » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:08 pm

So after I had to have Herb euthed I've been super attentive to my piggles and trying to bean even better cavy slave to avoid such situations again. Well as much as humanly possible.

Anyway, I noticed her wheezing this morning and I immediately though URI. She isn't sneezing or coughing though, but I figured I'd still get her to the vet asap to be sure. I had to leave for 2 hrs. for class (attendance is mandatory and only emergencies are excused... as much as I thought it was an emergency, I seriously doubt my professors would feel the same :( ) but when I returned, she wasn't wheezing. I'd already made the vet appt. so off we went.

The vet didn't hear any fluid in the lungs and said her heart sounded completely normal. She said sometimes pigs will develop allergies or asthma later in life (Lily is 4), but I'd never heard that. Of course, there could be something on here and I just haven't perused the info enough yet. I haven't heard her wheeze at all since this morning, and she's eating/peeing/pooping/acting totally normal (though I know piggies will hide sickness). So has anyone else ever heard of this allergy/asthma thing?

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:18 pm

Rare.

The heart may sound fine but I'd get an x ray. She may have heart issues.

What bedding or hay are you using? Slight chance it may have been too dusty for her. Switch to fleece and see if that helps (unless you already use it)

tara8301
Supporter in '10

Post   » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:22 pm

I use carefresh and fleece. Oh, and Oxbow timothy and orchard grass. The hay *is* kinda dusty as it's getting down towards the bottom of the bag (I'm getting some KM's though!) The vet said if I notice it again they'd do xrays.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:06 pm

Sometimes just after eating there are funny breathing sounds too.

More on heart issues if you need it:
www.guinealynx.info/.html

tara8301
Supporter in '10

Post   » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:38 pm

So what is this "hooting" sound? I know I've tried to find somewhere to hear it before, but all the links on here wouldn't work. =( I'm pretty sure that's not what she was doing, but it would still be nice to know for reference. She doesn't have any of the other symptoms mentioned on heart page, and the vet did check in her mouth for mucous membrane color (which was normal).

Sidera17

Post   » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:11 pm

I second that tara. The link didn't work for me either. We need a good sample of hooting.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:36 pm

Hooting can sound like a dove cooing.

There are some hooting videos here:
LINKS - Hooting Videos / Sound Files

I checked the video links, and they work for me. Please let me know if you find one that does not work.

tara8301
Supporter in '10

Post   » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:10 pm

All of those worked. I was referring to just sound only files that I saw somewheres on here. Kermie's video was the only one I could hear really well, even when I had all the volume turned up. But that's def not what Lily was doing!

Though, in my search to find good hooting noises, I did see someone mention in a YouTube comment for one of the videos that there's a correlation between heart problems and pea eye...?? Lily *does* have pea eye, but nothing about pea eye/heart problems on either heart or eye pages here?

tara8301
Supporter in '10

Post   » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:54 pm

Ah, crap. I just read the thing about pea eye and fluid retention. I'm gonna try to get a picture of Lily's eye(s) and post to see what you think. The vet didn't say anything about her eyes during her examination, but she did very clearly check the eyes out well because she was looking for discharge. So maybe it's not pea eye?? I've looked at other pictures of it on here and it doesn't seem as severe as others, but you can definitely see the conjunctiva.

tara8301
Supporter in '10

Post   » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:25 pm

Ok, here's the pics. Oh, and in my post above I think I meant you could see the sclera (the white part), not the conjunctiva because you can't see down into the fleshy pink part around her eye or anything. I couldn't get a good picture from above, but the white part isn't bulging out.

Right eye:

Left eye:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:38 am

Looks like pea eye then. If not irritated, she may do fine.

www.guinealynx.info/.html

Let me know if you'd like me to add your pics to the thread.

tara8301
Supporter in '10

Post   » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:18 pm

It doesn't seem irritated. It's not red and there's definitely no discharge. I guess I should be making another vet appt. for x-rays to check out the size of her heart since there can still be problems even if it sounds normal...?

Oh, and you can add the pics if you think they are good enough! =)