HEAT RELATED DEATH

Hcyphe

Post   » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:23 pm

SoCalCavies, I'm very sorry for your loss.

I live in Arizona where we have unbelievably hot days and when I leave for work, I have been turning the air up to 80 to conserve energy. Being a new guinea pig owner, I had no idea that they were so susceptible to heat. I have also never heard of using a frozen water bottle or anything else. I will definitely start using the frozen bottles and maybe some of the other suggestions and not turning the air up so high when I leave.

zazzified

Post   » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:02 pm

Wow, my pigs and I are from AZ and I can't imagine turning it up to 80! I'd definitely keep it at more like 76.

Finaldecember

Post   » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:22 pm

76?! I'd be roasting in that heat! Give me a good ol' 65 degree day and I'm happy as a clam.

zazzified

Post   » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:27 pm

Haha, well in AZ if it's 115 out, keeping it under 76 or so is not cheap.

Hcyphe

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:53 am

So true. my electric bill is already $144/mth for a 2bdrm apt. I wonder though about opposite of the heat, at night I turn it down to 70. Is that too cold for them?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:16 am

No, that's fine. At 70 degrees, you don't want cold air blowing directly on them but a room at that time is comfy for a haired guinea pig.

SoCalCavies
Partners in Crime

Post   » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:30 pm

I've been picking my pigs up to check on them even when I think it's cool, and it's unbelievable how hot they get under their belly's. Fleece DEFINITELY makes them hotter, too. (I read somewhere one time that it cools AND heats them. Not true!) Ever since, I keep regular towels in their cage and every time I look, they are on them and not the fleece...answering another question I had about whether or not they would have the sense to go lay somewhere cooler. Apparently, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

I also wanted to mention that I put an icepack in their cage the other day (again to test if they would use it), and they did sleep right next to it (not touching it directly). The problem was, they ate through the blue plastic! I was terrified it was toxic, but they've been fine ever since. I won't use those ever again - it's straight frozen water bottles for me!!

tufcookie

Post   » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:59 pm

Thanks for posting. I am a new cavy owner and was always thinking of how my piggies were doing while Im at work (8hrs). Now I will definitely make frozen water bottles.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:17 pm

Even some humans are not smart enough to stay out of the heat or strong sunlight and often fall asleep in the sun so I don't think we can blame piggies for not being bright enough to move. (Unless that's just us Brits who are not used to that much sun!)

My piggies will often scrape away any bedding to lie on just the newspaper, perhaps that's also a cooler option than fleece. How much you'll have left of it at the end of the day is questionable though!

SoCalCavies
Partners in Crime

Post   » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:22 pm

I just came across this thread accidentally about Bucky's death under Tracis LINKS page. I can't believe it's still here! I am so grateful. I hope it is a good warning to others about what can happen when it's hot. It's been so long since that awful day I found him dead, but I still re-live it.

** PLEASE REMEMBER: PIGS CANNOT TOLERATE HEAT!!
(Even in the months that aren't typically hot, like April, when Bucky died.)

StormyPiggies

Post   » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:41 pm

I'm very sorry about your loss.

I am going to start taking precautions. This week we had a couple of hot days. I'm glad it doesn't get as hot here in Nova Scotia, Canada, but it was close to 80 degrees in the house, and we don't have AC.

I noticed that one of my piggies was laying on the plate where I usually put their veggies, instead of laying on the fleece.

It's time for me to start using the frozen water bottles.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:25 pm

I'm using an ice pod

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Health+%252526+Hygiene.12/Ice+Pod.396.html

they should not be able to bite their way through, but I cover it with a towel anyway. Keep one in the freezer and one in the cage so I can exchange them.

Pigs1994

Post   » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:54 pm

It's been very warm here in Illinois. I keep a fan on 24 hours a day and make sure they get a good breeze. I got a couple of the dark blue freezer packs for coolers. My boys pretty much ignore them.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:14 pm

I'm fortunate in that I have A/C. I have it set at 75F. My girls and gerbils seem to be staying comfortable. I also have some Chin-Chillers I put in their cages.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:37 pm

The heat index here in IL had been 113-118 degrees for the past week or more. So far, we have been ok. THe GP room was originally supposed to be a screened in porch so there is only ONE vent in the room. Its the hottest room in the summer and the coldest room in the winter.

I worry on these hot days. Luckily, nothing serious has ever happened but if we ever lost our AC during a heat wave, we would have to move the piggies to the basement where it was cool.

amaruq

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:09 am

I am glad some one posted about this. I thought about it cause where we live (Canada) we had a week of wicked hot and humid temps one day hit 48 Canadian temps that was the humidex. It was insane.!

I used 2 liter bottles and froze water in them and kept changing the water bottles. I did have a fan on them but at those temps it's just blowing hot air on them.

I'm sorry for your loss.

56 posts