Sweetpea - Ovarian cysts in a desexed pig

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:58 pm

Hope the shots work fine again.

Herbert

Post   » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:21 pm

Thanks Lynx.

Everything went smoothly and the Pea is home again, and in a very bad mood!
Her little back legs are a bit stiff, but she seems fine and has not stopped eating since she got home.

She is on a low dose of Meloxicam for 3 days, and has to go back for the second shots in 7 - 10 days.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:33 am

I'm sending good thoughts for Sweetpea, and I hope she feels better soon. She is such a beautiful girl!

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:09 am

Fingers crossed Sweetpea feels better!

Herbert

Post   » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:51 am

Thanks, Tracis and Bytxlaura.

She is much happier tonight, and she LOVES her Meloxicam!
It is quite difficult to get her to let go of the syringe. :-)

Herbert

Post   » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:32 am

The Monsterpea had her second shots yesterday, (well, the forth shots really) and was in an absolutely foul mood again last night!

The other girls were staying well clear of her, but she is in a much better mood tonight, she is letting Maudie cuddle her
again. :-)

Last time it took a few weeks to see any improvement, so finger crossed!

Herbert

Post   » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:13 pm

Sweetpea responded very well to the treatment this time, all her hair is back and she has put on 100g since her last shot.

This morning during their after breakfast nap, I noticed she is breathing too hard, she seems happy, is eating peeing and pooping normally, but she is definitely breathing harder and faster than normal.

Her breathing is always more noticable then the other pigs, I assume because she still has a large cyst in there.

I am taking Myrtle to the vets tonight, so I will bring the Pea as well.

What is going on with my piggies lately?! I think they are are plotting to scare me into an early grave!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:58 am

I wish they were healthier too! Hard and you and them. You are a wonderful caretaker though - observant and notice when something is off. Do you have any pain medication around?

Herbert

Post   » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:48 pm

Thank you Lynx. :)

We took her in last night, vet said heart and lungs sound fine, she agreed about her breathing too fast, and she also thought Sweetpea's eyes may be a bit bulgy as well.
(but it is hard to tell, her eyes always look like they are about to pop right out of her head when she is tense!)

Vet said other wise she is a glowing picture of health, so she thinks the cyst that doesn't respond to HCG may be the problem.

So, Sweetpea is booked in on Tuesday to have it drained, and she is on Meloxicam until then.

She is bouncing around happily this morning, but still breathing fast.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:34 pm

I hate to say it but buldgey eyes could be a sign of elongated roots. You might want to have her head x rayed while she's in there.

Breathing...I don't know. Has she been tested for heart issues?

Herbert

Post   » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:48 pm

Thanks Ravenshade,

This morning her eyes look less buldgey, ('bulgy' sigh, well at least you knew what I meant!) she is eating very well and her weight is stable, with no signs of tooth issues at all, but if the vet is still concerned after they drain the cyst, head x-rays will have to be the next step.
She has always had more poppy eyes than the others, but she does have a very excitable nature!

She has not been tested for heart issues, she has never showed any of the signs on the heart page, up until this fast breathing thing yesterday. Same story I suppose, if the breathing does not improve after the cyst is drained, chest x-rays will be next.

The vet said her cyst really is huge now, it seems to have gotten bigger quite suddenly.
Although she does have a lot of fat there as well, you can kind of see the shape of the cyst in this photo; (and the slightly buldgey eyes)

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:02 am

Am hoping the cyst responds to treatment, Sweetpea looks just like her name a real sweetie. Sending hugs and healing vibes. I am curious about the draining of the cyst as my vet feels this is just as invasive and puts pressure on the piggy as desexing would. I have seem 4 different vets and got the same reply(wondering if the vets are callorating together or ganging up on me?)Hugs and healing vibes and hoping she improves real soon.