Baxter's med thread

zazzified

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:14 pm

I just heard Baxter's nose whistling a moment ago, quickly followed up with a couple tiny hoots. He hasn't had any decrease in weight, appetite, activity, etc. He's always been a little less active than Jeeves, but Jeeves is so hyper that he regularly hurts himself doing something insane so he isn't really a good comparison. He is, however, a big pig - 1500+ grams.

The whistling is only occurring when Baxter is actively trying to smell something. When he's going about his regular business, no whistle. It also isn't happening 100% of the time - maybe 50%.

I have only heard a few hoots, and this is the first time I've ever noticed either symptom in him. My desk is right next to the cage so chances are excellent that I would have heard it previously if it was an ongoing thing.

He is 2 years old.

So my questions are whether you think I should monitor him for a couple days and see if it was a one time thing, or if these symptoms are so standard for heart problems that I need to get him in ASAP. None of the other symptoms stood out to me on the heart page.

My pigs have had terrible luck with health lately - I'm hoping that I'm just being overly paranoid and that he ate too fast or something.

zazzified

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:37 pm

I should also mention that he has no discharge from his nose or eyes.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:05 pm

I would monitor him. Watch for any other signs. You can also weigh daily if you are worried.

zazzified

Post   » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:24 am

Thanks Lynx. He seemed fine this morning but I didn't get to spend much time with the pigs before going to work so my boyfriend is on pig duty today. Will get an update from him later.

I will start weighing him daily tonight as well.

Brenda B

Post   » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:46 am

Poor Baxter. I hope it is not heart issues.

My Guinness had noisy breathing that sounded sort of clicky like something was stuck in her nose. It went on for months and turns out it was a sinus infection that never got really bad. But it did seem to progress in noise so I took her to the vet. But after one week on baytril it came back so she is now on a longer regimen and is finally silent.

zazzified

Post   » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:02 am

Yeah, I hope it isn't. :( Unfortunately twice now, I've taken a pet to the vet for something minor and found out it was major - we took our dog in for a cough and found out she was dying of cancer (this was several years ago), and then I took Jeeves in for a limp and found out he actually tore a ligament and his kneecap was cruising around on its own. So I'm hoping I don't end up with a pattern.

zazzified

Post   » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:03 pm

So far so good this morning, according to my boyfriend, so that is promising.

zazzified

Post   » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:17 pm

Ok, I've heard several hoots this afternoon. :( A couple louder ones too. No nose whistling lately though, and no weight loss. What do you think?

ETA: A lot more hoots already. I think it's time he goes to the vet. Will exotic vets generally try a heart medication without an xray? I know that there are types of heart problems that don't appear as an enlarged heart, and so I imagine even if nothing shows up, he'll need meds. I'm wondering if it's possible to avoid the cost of an xray unless it's deemed necessary after trying some meds. Thoughts here? Will vets usually be ok with that? I take my pigs to Stahl Exotics in northern VA.

It looks like Lasix and Lotensin are the meds I'm finding references to on here... ugh, I have so many questions! I am still searching, but are these both lifetime meds? Are they very expensive? I'll obviously get him what he needs, I just need to brace myself!

If he does have heart problems, what is the follow up care routine in terms of vet visits? I know my vet will have a recommendation but I want to go in knowing what you guys think.

zazzified

Post   » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:29 pm

BTW, I'm reading Mum's heart pig thread right now. I've already ready the GL page on it.

zazzified

Post   » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:22 pm

Here is a video that I took for the vet:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v46/z ... ooting.flv

Brenda B

Post   » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:37 pm

I know nothing about heart pigs. And never heart a hoot until your video. BUT, I wish you and Baxter the best at the vet.

Bugsmom had a heart pig and I bet she would be happy to answer questions for you too. She is a sweetheart.

zazzified

Post   » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:40 pm

Thanks! I'm going to try to get him in on Tuesday, unless people here think I need to try to get him in as soon as I can tomorrow. I know that he does need to see a vet with that hoot, but if anyone can weigh in on how urgently that needs to happen, please do. I can try to get them to squeeze him in tomorrow if people here think I need to.