Baxter's med thread

zazzified

Post   » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:11 pm

Well the vet from yesterday called just now. He said he had already gotten the input of Dr. Stahl and they agreed he has "no sign" of heart disease. They said that some medications they are willing to give without a firm diagnosis, but that heart medications can have "pretty serious side effects" and he's not comfortable giving them out without proof of a heart problem. They offered to refer me to a cardiologist and he's going to look up one for me, but I'm sure they'll want a grand for whatever the next test is. I'm so frustrated. Why won't they just help me?

luv4cyootpiggies

Post   » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:17 pm

I'm sorry.

zazzified

Post   » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:58 pm

Question: Is there any sense in attempting to get antibiotics to eliminate the possibility of a URI if his lungs sounded fine and he doesn't have eye crust, hasn't gotten worse, is still eating, etc etc?

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:08 pm

ok, I am not an expert BUT, my Guinness made funny noises for months (like something was stuck in her nose) and ended up with a sinus infection that she is just finishing a 3 week course of AB's for. (We did one week and it came back 2 days later and worse). So, it is possible for them to get an infection that does not take them downhill fast.

Also, my dog goes to the cardiologist and it runs between $200-$325 for exam and echocardiogram. Maybe call a few and inquire???

zazzified

Post   » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:03 pm

So what ended up happening that led you to take him to the vet to get the ABs? Did he suddenly get worse after all that time?

zazzified

Post   » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:15 pm

Victory is mine! Well it's never very fun to be right that something is wrong but Baxter's blood work just came back, and his white blood cell count is a little low. I'm picking up antibiotics for him tomorrow night. We'll see if that takes care of his symptoms.

I also got the cardiologist referral from the vet in the event that it doesn't take care of the symptoms.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:38 pm

"They said that some medications they are willing to give without a firm diagnosis, but that heart medications can have "pretty serious side effects" and he's not comfortable giving them out without proof of a heart problem."

Enacard (enalapril) is a harsher predecessor of Lotensin (benazepril). Many (most?) vets are quite familiar with enalapril; it's used fairly commonly in dogs (at least, perhaps cats too).

Lotensin (benazepril) does NOT have the side effect potential of enalapril. That is why we often recommend a trial in the presence of clinical sign.

When they say that "heart medications can have pretty serious side effects", ask them *what heart med they are referring to*. If they say enalapril, tell them you aren't asking for enalapril. You are asking for benazepril. If they say furosemide (Lasix), tell them you are not asking for a diuretic. You are asking for a specific ACE inhibitor.

Neither of our two heart pigs showed enlargement on x-ray. The proof was in the dramatic improvement they made on meds. One of them, Toby, was on Vetmedin (pimobendan) as well. (The vet that **finally** gave me the meds to try had had very good success with pimobendan in dogs and was willing to try it on a guinea pig.)

zazzified

Post   » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:45 pm

Thank you Talishan, I will make sure to discuss that distinction with them in that case.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:52 pm

You can print off the heart page if you think it might help. There are contacts for a couple vets on it.

Brenda B

Post   » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:26 am

Yes, zazz, after months of just "noise" every few days from her nose, she suddenly had "noise" every day and then sneezed some goop.

Brenda B

Post   » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:03 pm

how is Baxter dong today?

zazzified

Post   » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:51 pm

Thanks for asking! He's been about the same for the past few days. He has had two doses of his antibiotics now. He's a REALLY bad med taker, I discovered, so I am going to need to experiment some more. Still some nose noises.