Baxter's med thread

zazzified

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 10:24 pm

I love my vet so, so, so much. It's 10:20 PM here and I missed her call because I was getting ready to head to bed, but she just left me a voicemail saying she can squeeze him in this Thursday to do a trim if I can do that and she's holding the spot for me to confirm with her tomorrow morning.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 10:30 pm

How has he tolerated Baytril in the past?

I'm gonna respectfully disagree with Lynx on the AB. Baytril will generally do a better job on oral abscesses (if that's what it is, hopefully not) in my experience. HOWEVER ... if there's any question of how well Baxter can tolerate it, go with Bactrim (in the absence of immediate veterinary instruction).

zazzified

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 10:45 pm

He has tolerated it well in the past. Some loss of appetite, but within normal weight fluctuations.

I can't feel any bumps or lumps, so I'm hoping it's not an abscess... but of course I wouldn't necessarily feel it. If it is one, is the normal procedure to aggressively treat with antibiotics and lance if possible to avoid having to do extensive surgery? That's the impression I'm getting on here. And if there seems to be an on and off odor, does this indicate an advanced infection/abscess formation?

How realistic is it that ABs will knock it out?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 10:50 pm

In my experience *only* ...

1. "is the normal procedure to aggressively treat with antibiotics and lance if possible to avoid having to do extensive surgery?"

Yes. Lance, flush, clean more than once if they can't work a drain from the outside. This is what happened to our Littletan.

2. "And if there seems to be an on and off odor, does this indicate an advanced infection/abscess formation?"

Not sure. Kallie has become our de facto expert. I'm sure she'll be thrilled to hear that ;-), but she might have good insight on this. I never noticed a strong bad odor with LT.

3. "How realistic is it that ABs will knock it out?"

In my experience -- mumble. ABs can certainly *contain* it (what happened to LT). They may knock it out. They may not be able to do so completely.

zazzified

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 10:52 pm

Thanks. If ABs contain it but don't eliminate it, will I just find that out after stopping ABs and then have to consider extensive surgery?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 10:54 pm

" ... will I just find that out after stopping ABs ... "

Basically, yes, but ...

" ... then have to consider extensive surgery?"

... don't assume that before you get there. There may be other options your vet can offer you for Baxter that I have no idea of.

zazzified

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 11:00 pm

I certainly hope so. Thanks (again!) for your help. My poor pigs, I think I'm a bad luck pig parent or something.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 11:01 pm

You're not (unless we all are). They're an admittedly hard species to treat medically and care for (medically) well.

zazzified

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 11:02 pm

Yeah, this year it just seems like one thing after the next after the next after the next after the next... I think my friends are starting to suspect munchausen by proxy.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 11:04 pm

Nah, you're not allowed. PooksiedAnimals has it before you (see Willow's thread). ;-)

zazzified

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 11:14 pm

Ha, I actually just read that thread!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 11:30 pm

[p.s. I'd be happy to have you take Talishan's advice over mine!]