Intestinal Gas

egustavson

Post   » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:06 pm

My son has a guinea pig, Sylvester, that has been diagnosed with intestinal gas. Apparently something she ingested caused an imbalance in the bacteria in her intestine. As a result, some bacteria are growing out of control and causing the gas. The veterinarian prescribed the antibiotic, Baytril. After 3 days, she was not improving and seemed to be worse. I took her to a different vet because of the first vet was not available. An x-ray confirmed that she had intestinal gas and food in her stomach, but nothing is moving through. The vet prescribed a new antibiotic, Flagyl, simethicone for the gas, administered subcutaneous fluids and we are to feed her 40cc of Critical Care by syringe in four 10cc doses each day. The vet also recommended that we include some mashed up droppings from her companion pig in the food to help recolonize her intestine with the good bacteria. The pig lost weight before we realized she was ill and is now very thin and weak. It has been difficult to get the food in her. Does anyone have experience with a similar illness and what did you do to treat it?

khb1582

Post   » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:27 pm

Sounds like the second vet gave you some good advice. Gas can be very dangerous, even deadly, when it leads to stasis. I've never had to handfeed, so I 'll let others give you pointers there.
https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Here's the care guide info about bloat: https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat

I've only dealt with less serious episodes of gas. However, I've had great success with gentle tummy massages and sitting the pig on a vibrating neck massager for 10-15 minutes at a time. This may help get things moving in his tummy.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:52 pm

Yes, the second vet sounds like he's got the problem in hand. I would try to get at least 50-60cc's of Critical Care. In addition to the "poop soup" you can also try and get a pro-biotic into the pig as well. It can only help.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:47 pm

You may want to review diet https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

Some foods can cause gas.

tmb_3410

Post   » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:04 pm

I do not have experience with gas, but one of my piggies back in January needed to be hand fed.

Patience is the key for handfeeding CC, and I found that mixing it with blueberries (Winston would do anything for a blueberry) or Odwalla juice helped it become more appealing to the pig, you can try that if you have trouble. Carrot baby food is also another option (but in smaller amounts).

My pig was pretty stubborn against taking the handfeedings, so I always just tried to keep calm and be persistant. I found the best method, too, was to have a helper. One holds the pig, and the other feeds.

I would put my poop soup into some mashed pellets to help that go into a syringe.

I would also reward the piggie with treats (like green leaf lettuce) during feedings so that way they can calm down and feel better about the whole ordeal.

Best of luck to you :) It does sound like the second vet gave you great advice.

Lovemypig

Post   » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:47 pm

Be diligent, your pig can pull through. My first pig, Quilt, had a UTI, stopped eating due to pain and developed a lot of gas. Then I took him to a vet with expertise in guinea pigs, who gave me critical care, probiotic, antibiotic and pain meds. Between that and the advice I got on GL, he pulled through. You have to be digiligent about the handfeeding and meds.

Brenda B

Post   » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:29 pm

I have LOTS of experience with this. My pig, Sierra is very prone to it. The second vet gave sound advice. Flagyl is good for intestinal troubles and not as harsh as baytril. If the pig is not pooping you may want to inquire about reglan as well. I also second a pain med like metacam. A pig in pain will not eat.

"Poop soup" helped her very much as did tummy rubs. There is a link somewhere on this site on how to do it.

Do not give up! It will be tough. My Sierra was sick from October through the holidays. There were days I fed her CC round the clock every four hours. Today she is happy, healthy and 170 grams bigger! I handfed her holding her on a towel while I sat in bed with my legs straight in front and her back to my chest resting her bottom on my lap. She eventually got so good at it it took only 10 minutes each time.

Also, give lots of fresh hay, change it out daily. (I started ordering from kleen mama's hayloft during Sierra's illness and I swear it pulled her through). Limit veggies until she is better.

Don't give up! There is hope!

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:38 am

I'd second Kleenmama's on pellets, we already fed her hay. It seems as though the pigs that were the most prone to gas didn't have as hard of time after we switched to her pellets from Oxbow's. Not to mention it benefited the other pigs as well in various ways.

egustavson

Post   » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:00 pm

Thanks to all who replied for your encouragement and support. Sylvester was noticeably improved yesterday evening and there were a few small poops on the towel in her enclosure this morning. She is stronger and is taking the critical care (mixed with green bean baby food) much more readily. She has an appointment with vet #2 tomorrow morning.

slfalzone

Post   » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:14 pm

Happy to hear some good news! Good luck tomorrow!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:58 pm

Great to hear encouraging news. Let us know what the vet says.

Brenda B

Post   » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:01 pm

Yay! Hooray for poops!
Don't give up! Ask vet about reglan and metacam too. It's good to have on hand just incase.