Surgery Today, Need Good Thoughts - Bleeding/Pyometra

Sidera17

Post   » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:14 pm

Healing vibes for Sprinkle!

KenziesCavies

Post   » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:43 pm

A little update on Sprinkle and the pictures that I said I would post. First, she is doing really well. I was concerned there for a bit when her poops where not solid. I didn't sleep much until Monday night when they started firming up and taking the shape of her normal poops. They are still a tad on the soft side but she is eating well and is alert and happy and gaining weight. I really appreciate the people that posted and helped me through a very difficult time. I was scared and your good thoughts and advice helped me alot. So, here are some pictures.

This is her uterus. The big thing is the pyometra (uterine infection). It is absolutely awful that was growing in her and I had no idea. She was perfectly healthy and happy and you would have never known. If anyone ever sees blood, get to the vet immediately. This thing was huge and we had no idea until the morning there was blood on her fleece.

This is her a few hours after surgery when we went to visit her. The dr. told me to bring some veggies but she was not interested at all. It was scary seeing her like this, she did not look good at all.

This is a picture of her insicion.

This is her resting and recovering.

Here she is perking up a bit.

zazzified

Post   » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:51 pm

Wow, poor baby! Glad she is eating well now! It's so scary until they start gaining some weight back. Did the vet say what the mass weighed?

KenziesCavies

Post   » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:16 pm

It weighed 44 grams. Yes, it was a frightening thing and I couldn't help thinking how grateful I was that it was us who got her from another family on Craigslist. Someone else might not have been willing to get her the surgery she needed.

zazzified

Post   » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:26 pm

Very true! And that's a lot of weight to haul around! Jeez. Pigs are delicate creatures but they can be so tough sometimes.

egustavson

Post   » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:59 pm

Yikes! I am so glad Sprinkle is doing so well.

Sidera17

Post   » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:32 pm

Feel better Sprinkle! She's so cute.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:07 pm

Wow, poor girl! I hope she recovers fine.

Let me know if you'd like me to add the medical pic to your thread. It might be helpful to others in the future.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:09 am

Sending more good thoughts for pretty Sprinkle, and I hope she continues to do well.

Kermie831

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:06 am

Kisses for Sprinkle! What a pretty lady she is! Thank you for taking such wonderful care of her!

KenziesCavies

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:02 am

Lynx, yes please put whatever you think would be helpful. If at all possible perhaps change the title to have bleeding and / or pyometra in it. Whatever you can do and think would be best.

Thanks for all the good wishes and the compliments on our pretty girl, we agree. She is such a love bug and a real trooper.

Yesterday I thought everything was fine because her poops, while small, were formed perfectly and were pellet like. Not at all soft or smooshy if she stepped on them. Today I woke up and there is a bunch of smooshy poop again. She goes back to the dr. tomorrow for a post-op checkup. I may call later today if it stays soft.

The really good news is that she has really been putting on the weight consistently. She has gone from 904 grams on Sunday to 958 grams yesterday. 54 grams in 3 days is pretty impressive, I think.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:30 am

Thanks. I cropped and compressed the two med pics and added them permanently to the thread. Glad to hear she is doing well - and it's great she is putting on some weight!