Diarrhea + fit

Charybdis

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 7:50 pm

Finally she peed. There is bright red blood in it.

charandmin

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 8:02 pm

Maybe the minerals/crystals are irritating the urinary tract and causing the blood and maybe a partial blockage that still allows some urine through.

I don't really know anything I'm just trying to think of stuff.

melcvt00

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 9:07 pm

Ya know, I wish I had the abilities to scan x-rays like that. :)

Has she pooped at all? If she has, I would be interested in seeing recheck x-rays to see if that mineralization is still there. If it was in the rectum (unless it was completely embedded in tissue), it should move out with pooping.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 9:10 pm

That actually makes a little bit of sense. The vet did not think that the object was in the urethra because she is still able to urinate. But what if it is a stone and he's just not adept at analyzing it?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 9:30 pm

I bet it's a urinary tract stone. That would be good, since it isn't usually too difficult to remove and make her feel better again. I hope you're continuing a course of antibiotics as well (I know she had a Baytril injection).

Becky

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 9:32 pm

They can pee past a urinary tract stone, I believe. Cookie had one stuck for quite a while and she passed urine.

Chary, eegads! What a day!

Charybdis

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 9:40 pm

She is continuing on Baytril. She drank a little water on her own.

So re-take the x rays after how long?

And if it remained the solution would be surgical then?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 9:48 pm

On stone pigs we sometimes take a new xray every day to track progress. It seems to be a larger stone. May or may not be surgical. Some sows pass huge stones and some can be manipulated out with a little anesthesia and no incision into the bladder. Just flushing the urethra. If she's still continuing to have problems with bloody urine and not eating, you need to do sx sooner rather than later.

Becky

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 10:02 pm

Cookie's first stone was "plucked" from the urethra since it was so close to the opening. The original plan was to push it back into the bladder and perform surgery.

Luckily, he was able to reach it without any invasive surgery.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 10:07 pm

Why does my vet have to be out of town at these times?

Charybdis

Post   » Thu May 29, 2003 10:51 am

Meg has perked up some, enough to fight me on the hand feeding and give me a few vicous head butts (she is reigning queen of head butts).

She let out a few tiny poops during the night but it was painful for her. They were connected like sausages. But now she has not pooped in several hours. Her urine is still tinged with blood.

I have some questions:

--could it be a mass in the rectum that is causing her difficulty in passing poops?

--if the mass/crystal formation is in the urethra, does it look big enough to be preventing her from pooping as well?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu May 29, 2003 11:05 am

Yes and yes. Especially pain upon defecation--no matter where the calcification is located. It isn't the largest stone/mass I've seen in a cavy, but it is larger than most. Poor pig.

If she isn't on steroids, pain meds would be nice (NSAIDS). Otherwise continuing the Dex would probably be a good idea every 12 hours for a couple more days. You can't use NSAIDS with steroids due to the possible side effects, which may be irreversible (GIT ulceration).