Diarrhea + fit

Charybdis

Post   » Fri May 30, 2003 12:40 pm

Meg has not pooped all night despite being fed Critical Care and even eating a little romaine and carrot. The vet can see her in about 6 hours. The Reglan doesn't seem to be helping. I think the stone is blocking her from pooping.

Would giving her more Reglan be beneficial or potentially harmful at this point, since she probably cannot pass the stone and nothing seems to be able to get past it?

Also, should I continue to feed her when she cannot pass it?

Charybdis

Post   » Fri May 30, 2003 3:59 pm

The vet called. He has never attempted to remove a urolith without surgery before. I printed out the info in the reference forum. Does anyone else have any resources?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri May 30, 2003 11:11 pm

References? No, unfortunately. Hmmmm....

I wouldn't give any more Reglan if you think she can't poop at all. She does need food, though or else you're going to have to deal with hepatic lipidosis, GIT stasis, and hypoglycemia (not good options at all). It sounds as if you need to have a vet try to move the stone at least. Someone with experience. I wish I had connections down there. The closest I could find a referral might be the SF Bay Area. I know that's a long way for you.

Do you have anyone down there that can do it? I'm worried, too.

How is she doing now?

Charybdis

Post   » Sat May 31, 2003 1:33 am

He did it! Dr R. removed Meg's stone. It was very large and he had to make a small incision on the urethra to pluck it out but he says that she is going to be fine. He is going to show me the stone tomorrow when I pick Meg up, and then send it off for analysis.

The vet was very reluctant to perform the procedure. He kept reminding me of the low incidence of bladderstones in guinea pigs and was still unsure if the stone was in the urethra or colon. He even suggested that she might have swallowed a rock (oh, please!)

I printed out the article on uroliths in guinea pigs linked from the reference forum and pointed out how Meg's crystal formation looked exactly like the one in the illustration. After some nagging, he agreed to sedate her and try to get the stone out.

She was so worn out from all the pain and being blocked up that she let me leave a bunch of lipgloss kisses all over her face. I was worried that I would never see her again. They called me on my class break to let me know that she was out of the anaesthesia and walking around, stone-free.

I am so relieved. This is probably a good example of how even excellent vets may be reluctant to perform procedures on guinea pigs. I'm glad that I didn't back down.

Becky

Post   » Sat May 31, 2003 1:38 am

That's great, Chary! Poor girl must feel so much better now.

Not to put a damper on things, but watch her for more stones. You might want to put her on polycitra right away, even if you don't have the lab results. Chances are the stone is calcium carbonate.

Again, great!

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat May 31, 2003 1:38 am

Oh thank God! I hold my breath every time this thread comes up. Swallowed a rock?? Have you been giving him pedialyte spiked with vodka again?

Charybdis

Post   » Sat May 31, 2003 1:48 am

That was an odd suggestion, wasn't it?

Becky, that's a good idea. I was wondering about what other precautions I might take for her. I know that they can get polycitra for me and perhaps they will give me some tomorrow in addition to painkillers. I will also probably spend some time adjusting her veggie variety.

She's a lucky girl. All the way to school tonight I kept thinking of what a horrible life she has had and prayed that she might know some happiness finally.

Becky

Post   » Sat May 31, 2003 1:54 am

Polycitra is a human drug. Cheap, too. I get about a six-month supply for about $15.00.

If you'd like, I can put together what I feed my pigs in deference to my sludge girl. I can email it to you. I don't want to bore people again with my "theories" on calcium/phosporus ratios, et.al.

And nice pat on the back for you for giving this girl the attention she needed.

Swallowed a rock? Good one.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat May 31, 2003 2:12 am

That would be great, Becky, thanks.

Becky

Post   » Sat May 31, 2003 2:14 am

I'll put something together this weekend.

pinta

Post   » Sat May 31, 2003 3:01 am

Is she on ABs? I would worry about the incision in the urethrea. Definitely a place for infection to develop.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 31, 2003 8:20 am

Becky, I encourage you to bore people in the reference forum. We like to be bored!

And I am SO happy your vet was able to remove the stone. It must have been a whopper. I imagine this pig will still be on antibiotics for some time as it is likely there was trauma/scraping.