Diarrhea + fit

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:53 am

That isn't the only strange behavior.

Even though she has hay, pellets, baby carrots, and romaine in her cage, she is trying to eat the towel, the wooly bed, and cage itself. She is wandering around the cage biting and tugging at things.

There are now 3 poops in there, though. Almost normal size.

pinta

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:32 am

Biting and tugging could be a reaction to pain.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:15 am

Ok. I'm not happy that she's in pain, but I hope that's all it is. She does not seem too sick, just not eating. She did the head thing again while she was eating poops. I will keep a close eye on her and feed her through the night. Maybe I can talk to the vet in the a.m.

Thanks for the advice.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:57 am

There is a range for rimidyl. If you notice, dog and cat doses are higher so it could be the optimal dose for gps is higher also (if they are in pain). I don't think any of my books list a dose. This is just what some people have had success with.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:19 pm

Argh. More frustration, more worries.

My vet isn't in today. I left a message for the other vet to call me (the first one who saw her).

Meg has not pooped in the last 4 hours. In the last 8 hours, 4 poops total that I have seen. Her belly is firm but doesn't seem bloated. Weight 4 hours ago: 930 grams. Weight now: 915 grams.

She is on Reglan every 8 hours and Simethicone (GasX) every 4 hours. Baytril, Rimadyl, pedialyte, Critical Care. Not eating on her own excpet to munch a tiny bit of Romaine.

Something is going on here.

1) Could this be AB intolerance? Wouldn't that cause diarrhea rather than constipation? Should I stop the AB for 24 hours then switch to Bactrim and risk infection in her rather delicate incision area (urethra)?

2) Could there be an impaction in the lower bowel, not palpable and not visible on x ray? She is already on a high dose of Reglan. What else, if anything, could help that?

3) Could swelling in the incision area be keeping poops from passing? What would help that? More Dex?

Thanks for any input. I'm very worried. I refuse to let this pig die.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:23 pm

Is she moving around? Does she seem to be in pain? I'm sorry I have no good advice to offer.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:56 pm

She is not moving around. She is hunched in one spot. Yes I think she is in pain.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:38 pm

I would write Josephine. Are you hand feeding? Remember if she isn't eating, not much will be moving through her either. I understand your worry and frustration.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:49 pm

I am hand feeding 10ml of Critical Care every 4 hours. About to give her SQ now.

pinta

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:04 pm

My vote is to write Josephine too.

It may be AB intolerance. Diarrhea is the final stage of AB intolerance. Lethargy and puffed up is the first stage.

As for the rest of your questions, I don't have enough knowledge to answer.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:33 pm

I wrote to Josephine.

I am going to attempt to give her an enema now with Mel's instructions. Cross your fingers for me.

melcvt00

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:46 pm

And, as also my instructions....DEX AND RIMADYL CANNOT BE GIVEN AT THE SAME TIME!!! Serious GI ulcers can result.

But Chary knows that already.

And now that my internet is working right again, I was looking at the Rimadyl dose. Meg is currently 0.915kg. At a dose of 1mg/kg q12h, and the Rimadyl being used at 10mg/ml, I'm getting a dose of 0.09ml q12h. I've done the math 4 times now. So at 0.3ml, that's 3 times the dose I've figured out.