Milky liquid from eye

Sunny

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2002 12:16 pm

Spot will periodically have a white, milky liquid coming from his eyes. I asked my vet about this -- my vet used to raise guinea pigs -- and she said she had a pig once with the same white liquid coming from his eye. She tried to research the subject but couldn´t find any information on it, so she took a sample of the liquid and put it under a microscope. She said it was not infectious, just a milky substance.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience. Do you know if these milky "tears" are normal?

pigpal

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:01 pm

It´s OK, quite normal. The milky liquid is produced to cleanse the eye, often when a pig is grooming itself or after a bath.

I freaked out the first time I saw it, thinking it was some awful eye infection, but it´s OK. Thick goopy discharge or dried crusty stuff around the eye is another matter, requiring a vet visit. It may indicate an eye infection or herald an imminent URI.
Last edited by pigpal on Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunny

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:24 pm

The first couple times it happened, I was in a dimly lit room and by the time I got him into bright light to check it out, it was gone. My husband thinks I´m overly protective of the little guys so didn´t believe there was any milky stuff - "just a reflection of the light or soemthing." Then one day, I scooped the milky liquid in my fingernail and showed him. See, I´m not out of my mind.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2002 4:07 pm

It´s nice when something is normal and not a problem. Glad the answer to your question was so easy.

I remember my mother telling me to keep my hands away from my eyes. Even now, I notice if I´ve tried to clean the corner of one eye with a fingernail, I will have more problems the next day with even more goop -- but it goes away if I use the corner of a clean tissue instead. I do think our hands and fingernails carry quite a bit of bacteria.
Last edited by Lynx on Mon Mar 25, 2002 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:12 am

Yikes! I´d run from this vet. You mean to say she owned and bred cavies and didn´t know this? Very scary.

Sunny

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:17 am

E - I don´t know that I would run from this vet. I mean, she DID try to research it and run her own tests to make sure it was harmless.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:25 am

Well, it´s pretty basic knowledge and anyone who has owned pigs for a while, let alone breed them, should know that. Just sounds really scary to me.

pinta

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2002 4:27 pm

Standard info like that wasn´t available before the net. Eva´s site was the first I ever saw that explained it. Before the Net, I knew about it but didn´t know exactly what it was and didn´t worry about. I assumed it was normal since the white fluid disappeared. I didn´t bother really researching it until one of ours got a plugged tear duct and the white fluid didn´t disappear. And then she kept getting small infections which changed the colour of the fluid. But until then I didn´t worry about it. All I knew was it showed up whenever they groomed.

For general husbandry questions, my vet calls me. She´s never had a pig as a pet so this isn´t info she knows off the top of her head. The info in her books is based on lab animals. When I was asking her about a calcium supplement she suggested cheese - half seriously. All she knew was that cheese was a readily available source of calcium. I scolded her and she laughed. Now she knows(probably already did, deep in her heart) - cheese isn´t good for pigs even as a treat. As for the minutia of why pigs shouldn´t eat it - just isn´t part of her frame of reference. Diseases, medications, things with precise info based on other animals that she can extrapolate - she´s brilliant at. That´s her realm of expertise. Diagnostics is a particular talent.

And even with simple dietary questions I´ve seen exotic vets give completely contradictory information.

So rather than running, educate. Trade knowledge.

Sunny

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2002 4:56 pm

pinta - you are slowly becoming one of my favorite people.

pinta

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:00 pm

Slkopwly?

________

(That´s "slowly" when edited)
Last edited by pinta on Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunny

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:23 pm

:)) were the piggies helping you type?

11 posts • Page 1 of 1