Scruffles medical thread

Brainerror

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:44 am

Yeah I know KY jelly, don't have any though. We've used E45 for now as my OH reckons it should be safe.
Her ear looks a little less red today so I think she hasn't been scratching.

She's a rex yes. It's weird because last winter she was fine. I think it's because we left the heating on overnight because all pigs were ill. I get immensely itchy & dry skin too when the heating is on too much (I suffer eczema).

I'll file her nails down in a bit, but I'll do it with a hand file. should be ok :)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:32 pm

Looked up E45 -- I wish we had that stuff here. It should be okay as far as I can tell, especially if she cannot reach that area and ingest it.

I can only imagine what eczema must be like in winter. You have my empathy.

Brainerror

Post   » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:24 am

her ear seems to be healing well with it :)

and my eczema is a weird one, it actually gets worse in hot weather!! I've been trying to get rid of it since last september, but it keeps flaring back up. the only thing that eased it was very cold weather! As long as I wasn't in a heated house all day that is..

Scruffles weighs 1,105kg today! *does a tiny little dance*

Brainerror

Post   » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:34 am

Ugh.. Scruffles has a really bad UTI. She is peeing blood & has been put on bactrim for a 2 weeks course.

Hopefully this will clear it, otherwise it's x-ray time to see if she has stones again :/

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:12 pm

Oh, I hope no stones! I wish they never recurred.

Brainerror

Post   » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:25 am

Well, scruffles is rapidly improving & just for reference for other members, I've uploaded photos of her urine before we started treatment.
Fresh bloody urine on purple vetbed fleece:

Dried up bloody urine on newspaper:

Today she weighs 1,101kg :) fingers crossed that this is it for a long time to come!

Also, her ear has healed perfectly.

Brainerror

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:53 am

Well, she's been on baytril for 2 weeks now and she's still peeing blood. I know it's not normal, but has this happened in other pigs with a severe UTI?

What else could it indicate apart from stones?

We're seeing a vet this week to discuss our next step. Most probably x-rays.............ugh.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:58 pm

Without reading back, has she been put on Bactrim (Septrim, TMP-SMZ, sulfa trimeth, it goes by a variety of names) rather than Baytril?

Baytril is a fine broad-scope AB, but Bactrim seems to work better, usually anyway, against the bacteria that cause a UTI. I think this has something to do with aerobic bacteria vs. anaerobes (bladder would be anaerobes while pneumonia is aerobes), but I am not a vet nor biologist.

Edit: just saw post above. Has she been treated with Bactrim or Baytril?

If Bactrim, she may need a longer course. X-rays of course will not hurt (anything but your billfold, of course) and are usually advisable anyway, but the last few UTI's we've dealt with have needed a 21-day course to resolve. If x-rays show no stones, she could also be looking at something like interstitial cystitis.

Brainerror

Post   » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:59 am

ugh the IC word...that's what Pippin had :(

She had a week of bactrim and a week of baytril to be exact. I ran out of bactrim, but I suppose I should get more from the vet.

If you say it is possible for her to still bleed (not as much though) after 2 weeks of ABs then I'll hold off on x-rays for now (unless my vet tells me otherwise) and continue with a new supply of bactrim.

thanks talishan

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:00 pm

Again without reading back (I am truly lazy), is she in any discomfort?

If she's not evidencing any pain, hunching, straining or squeaking when urinating or defecating, my vote is for a 21-day course of bactrim.

If you're seeing anything else, though, my vote is for (ugh) an x-ray pronto.

Brainerror

Post   » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:52 pm

It's hard to know with Scruffles. Even when she had that stone in her urethra she didn't squeak when peeing or pooping.

Her urethra is slightly red though, which is no surprise I guess.
I've metacam so maybe it would be a good idea to give her 2 drops a day?

Brainerror

Post   » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:33 am

Right, vet put her on a few more weeks of bactrim, will do a urine analysis to check for UTI, bacteria, protein, blood, crystals & sugars (I think? for diabetes?).

If nothing changes after that then it's x-rays to check for stones.

We're also giving her 2-4 drops of metacam a day as her bladder was very sensitive.