Scruffles medical thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:55 pm

Your analysis sounds possible. and yes, sounds like pain. Would you like your pics added to the thread?

Brainerror

Post   » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am

Yes please lynx. Our vet is very busy today, but she's calling us later in the afternoon. She's determined to help Scruffles today.

We're lucky.

Brainerror

Post   » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:01 am

Talishan - she was on 3 drops already, so I gave her another 3 in the evening as she seemed in pain.

this morning she was shivering again until I gave her the 3 drops.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:43 am

Thanks, I added your pics.

Glad the pain medication helped.

Brainerror

Post   » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:38 am

As you know we went to the vet yesterday to do an x-ray on Scruffles. My vet has been an absolute star taking time out after hours to do the x-ray as she was very concerned for our fat little girl. Also, she did the x-ray without anesthetics ^^

When she came back she had a big grin on her face. Scruffles doesn't have stones!!!
WOOHOO!!
There was no sludge in her bladder either, so she reckons the bleeding was caused by the severe UTI. constant inflammation making the skin raw & easily ruptured.
She did say there might be a small chance she did pass another stone, but atm there's no evidence of that.

Scruffles diarrhea disappeared overnight as well, so it was probably caused by her straining to pee, therefore forcing her poop out too soon.

She'll be on metronidazol & baytril for 2 weeks. Our vet didn't want to do a urine culture yet as that acquires putting Scruffles under so she can get a sterile sample direct from the bladder *cringe*

Scruffles this morning, already seeming to feel a bit better :D

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm

Good luck, Scruffles!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:29 pm

What a gorgeous picture. :-)

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:14 pm

Sending good thoughts for Scruffles! She is very pretty. :)

I hope she has a speedy recovery.

Brainerror

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:56 am

thanks guys! So far so good :) She seems much happier in herself.

Brainerror

Post   » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:31 am

Well, her blood spots have almost disappeared now. Weird thing is, her character has done a complete turn around.
She used to be really sweet, then 6 months ago she became a bully & now she's a bloody coward!

In fact, she behaves like Pippin used to. Screaming when someone comes near (although Squee has taken a liking to biting her for no reason), very submissive & cowardly.

I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking about putting a divider in until Squee has gone through puberty so that Scruffles can recover in peace.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:15 am

Could be caused by pain or hormones. If the blood spots are reproductive, more likely hormones.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:51 pm

" ... then 6 months ago she became a bully & now she's a bloody coward!"

Ditto Lynx on both counts. Do you have access to a vet with ultrasound equipment?

It's an expensive diagnostic (I'm sure you'll be delighted to hear that), but it is the best way of determining if ovarian cysts are present.