Sakura - Medical Thread

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:32 pm

Sakura is a female black and white Aby, almost 4 years old. She was born in April 2006 at SnpDrgnz's home before joining my family.

Sakura has developed some bilateral hairloss that doesn't seem like a case of mites (to me).

Her weight and appetite are healthy. Her behavior seems normal, except for a slightly-longer-than-usual aggressive period during her last heat cycle. She does not have any signs of crusty nipples at this time, and hasn't developed a pear-shaped body. She isn't scratching excessively.

She has an appointment with the Arizona Exotic Animal Hospital this Thursday for an examination.

The hair loss on her right side is more obvious.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:36 pm

I hope the very beautiful Sakura will be ok and it turns out to be nothing. Fingers crossed here for you and Sakura.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:20 pm

Ovarian cysts are the top possibility in my mind.

Not all signs have to be present for the pig to be cystic. Actually, according to one of my old vets, none of them do. Ovarian cysts can be present without all (or, in fact, any) of the signs we usually associate with them.

If an ultrasound confirms cysts, at 4 I'd really really really want to look into the hormone injection series (vs. surgery).

sammianne

Post   » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:51 pm

I am hoping for the best for Sakura. I am not sure if you've been there before, but the staff at Arizona Exotics is really great. She'll be in good hands there.

LainLockey

Post   » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:59 pm

Sakura is a really beautiful girl! I love her eye patches :)
The hair loss pattern is similar to what I saw when Ripley developed ovarian cysts. I hope her appointment goes well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:06 pm

Ditto Talishan. I have the feeling you already strongly suspected ovarian cysts. I think the hair loss on the sides of the body is the result of hormones being out of whack. A spay somehow rights this. I know you understand the risks of any surgery and would look for the best qualified vet for a spay if this is what is recommended by your vet.

Good luck Sakura!

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:31 pm

I will keep my fingers crossed for Sakura. The only thing that comes to mind is ovarian cysts, just as everyone thinks.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:41 am

Thanks everyone.

Sammianne, this will be our first visit to Az Exotics. I've heard good things about them.

Princess Aurora

Post   » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:44 am

Oh Sakura! I hope it's nothing serious, and if it is, I hope it's on time to treat it.

I also think it could be Cysts.

Good luck, Tracis!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:11 am

Oh poor Sakura (Toby is very worried about his girlfriend-from-afar). I hope it's nothing serious, tracis. Like everybody else, cysts immediately popped to mind but I have zero experience with females, and can't offer anything more useful than my good wishes for her at the vet.

Keep us posted.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:28 am

Thinking good thoughts for Sakura. We hope her treatment and recovery will be smooth and successful.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:34 am

How is Sakura?