Sakura - Medical Thread

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:22 pm

I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and little Sakura.

I echo everyone else. The image is fuzzy, but goodness if that's a stone it's ginormous. When we were checking Cocoa for sludge, we did an abdominal ultrasound and got an excellent view.

You know what SmartyPants went through. He was 4.5 years old and bounced back better than anyone expected. A good surgeon is the most important thing in stone removal, IMO.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:27 am

Miss Sakura and I are grateful for the well wishes. :)

Sakura is scheduled for surgery next Tuesday, May 4th.

They want to keep her overnight. I have already told them that she will come home with me, since they do not have staff onsite overnight. (Critical cases are transferred to a 24-hour emergency hospital.)

Dr. Wright mentioned that if her ovaries have large cysts that he will remove those at the same time.

Is it common to combine surgeries?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:06 am

I don't have any experience with combined procedures -- my vet was reluctant to remove Sebastian's last stone and his tumor at the same time due to the length of time that he would have to be "under," plus blood loss. But then, his health wasn't the greatest by then, either.

Keeping you and Sakura in my thoughts. Here's to an uneventful surgery and speedy recovery, Sakura! :}

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:37 am

Hmm, I've never had a combined surgery either. My vet is always concerned with "getting in and getting out" so that they're not under longer than necessary.

I absolutely agree with bringing her home. Lots of positive thoughts for her surgery and recovery.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:39 am

Given Sef's comment, you might ask about how long the surgery would take and bring this up. I imagine he will be monitoring Miss Sakura and hopefully would be able to make a good call on it.

Good wishes here!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:27 pm

On the Estimate for Surgery sheet, the doctor estimated 30 minutes for the Cystotomy Surgery, and 20 additional minutes for the Spay.

I hope that she doesn't need the spay.

Miss Sakura is still enjoying her veggies and hay, and is suspicious of anything that comes in a syringe. I've discovered that she likes cranberry juice, so now I am mixing her Vitamin C tablets with water and cranberry juice.

LainLockey

Post   » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:32 pm

That stone is huge, poor girl. I really hope all goes well for Sakura. Sending positive juju your way.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:42 pm

The bladder and ovaries are not super close to each other. In the same general neighborhood, but still. I see the vet's point but 50 minutes under is a long time and that's going to be a lot of beat-up, very sore tissue in there.

I am going to mumble and hope her ovaries are in reasonably good shape. How experienced a surgeon is Dr. Wright? Has he done this one-two before and if so, how often and what were the outcomes?

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:15 pm

Very happy to hear Miss Sakura still enjoys her yumyums and condemns suspicious syringes, always a great sign. :)

*ninja vibes*

Yuugi

Post   » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:47 am

Hoping for the best for miss Sakura! She is a beautiful girl with a beautiful name !

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat May 01, 2010 12:49 am

Fingers crossed for good results on Tuesday.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 12:36 am

Traci, just want to send Miss Sakura and you some ninja vibes before going to bed.
We hope everything will go as smoothly as possible, and Sakura would be recovering comfily with you at the end of day.
Sending you much love.