Sakura - Medical Thread

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:42 pm

Yeah! She looks alot better and her hair is growing back nicely!

I'm glad the pellet bowl is empty and her weight is up!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:17 pm

The pellet bowl was completely empty this morning. :)

Her water consumption from the water bottle is increasing, but slowly.

Weight:
10/26 pm: 1220 g
10/27 am: 1223 g

Pictures from today were taken with my "super macro zoom" camera. There is a odd spot near the incision that caught my eye.

I do not have any experience with stitches and healing incisions; Sakura is the first one in my family that has had any surgery that required stitches.

It feels "pebbly", like the rest of the scab. It doesn't have an odor, nor does it feel warm to the touch.

Is this spot part of the normal scab healing process? Or should be I concerned about it?

Just watch it?

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:31 pm

I would just watch it. I think it looks fine.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Thank you! I will definitely keep an eye on it.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:52 pm

It looks fine to me. But, Norbie is also my first piggie to have surgery so I certainly understand the worrying of every little thing!

I can't wait for Norbie's hair to grow back like Sakura's is!

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:38 am

I think it looks fine as well.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:33 pm

Weight:

10/26 am: 1207 g
10/27 am: 1223 g
10/27 pm: 1213 g
10/28 am: 1210 g

She barely touched her water bottle the past 24 hours, and isn't very interested in wet veggies. It seems that all she wants to eat is hay and pellets, which are definitely healthy, but since she has had sludge in the past, she needs water too.

I syringe-fed some water this morning.

The "odd spot" looked the same today.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Great pictures!!!

The incision looks beautiful. Nice and quiet. At this point, you can actually soak the scabs off. Might look a tad worse if the scabs are pretty adhered to the skin, but it actually will help healing if you get some of that scabby part off after it is a couple of weeks old.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Thanks!

It does look gruesome.

Could I apply a warm washcloth to the incision to soak the scabs off?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:16 pm

Yes, that is probably the best method!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:42 pm

Weight:

10/27 am: 1223 g (last weight gain)
10/27 pm: 1213 g
10/28 am: 1210 g
10/28 pm: 1193 g
10/29 am: 1176 g

Even though Sakura has recently finished up with her course of antibiotics (enrofloxacin), she now has soft, messy poop. I still want to blame the antibiotic; can I?

She still isn't drinking very much on her own, so I've been supplementing with syringe-fed water.

Her weight is dropping, and I'll start the Critical Care this afternoon. She IS eating hay, but not enough to maintain her weight.

She is quite unhappy with me today. She had a bit of dried messy poop stuck on her incision, to the point where the scab came off during the soaking. Although it did not bleed, it was obviously painful -- there was some of her newly grown fur stuck in the mess. :(

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:16 pm

Poor Sakura!

I would think the soft poop is from the antibiotic. Did you try some probiotics?

She's still not drinking water? Maybe that is part of the weight loss? Is she still eating pellets?

How frustrating are the weight fluctuations? I was all set to start Critical Care but Norbie was up 20g from last night. I've been giving "treats" every could of hours. At this rate, all my piggies will gain along with Norbie. LOL.