Sakura - Medical Thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:52 pm

When Snowflake developed her issues, I got a sense this was not an emergency. We decided on a spay two or three weeks later (if I remember right).

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:06 pm

During the appointment, the doctor gave me the impression that this wasn't an urgent situation.

Before I made the appointment, I felt that a spay was the best choice, because I still thought of Sakura as "young 3 year old".

Dr. Wright was honest about surgical risks, and how some guinea pigs can develop serious problems after a successful surgery.

Perhaps the best thing to do is wait and monitor her condition, and use Lupron when/if other problems develop.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:18 pm

Last spring our vet discovered ovarian cysts in Celia. He gave her a series of 2 sets of shots and she's still doing fine in that department. However he said at the time that the shots work for some cysts and not for others and couldn't predict how it would turn out for Celia.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:25 pm

Ditto Bookfan. The shots work for some pigs and not others; some cysts and not others, and for varying periods of time. I wouldn't necessarily assume it will be a once-monthly injection. It could be less. It could be more.

I am very very very scared of spays. One, I don't have a vet here I would even remotely trust to do one, and that has a lot to do with my attitude. Granted, I'd probably look at it differently if I did. But their ovaries are in a very awkward place surgically ... up and behind, near their backs, sorta analogous to where our kidneys are. Thus, to do a spay the vet essentially has to dig through, or dump out, their entire GI tract, then hope the GI resumes working properly once stuffed back in and closed.

With an animal whose GI is as sensitive, and such a major part of their mass and their metabolism, as a guinea pig I'd just want to try the shots first. IMO *only*.

LainLockey

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:10 am

The following is just my personal experience, I thought I'd share...
The shots do work wonders in some pigs. I tried hormonal shots with Ripley for several months before it was determined that they were not resolving the problem and we then opted for a spay. We had certainly hoped that the hormone injections would do the trick but in our case they didn't. She was able to go those several months without the problem worsening, so it didn't feel like an emergency in our case either. The spay went well and my four/five-ish year old (at the time) girl recovered wonderfully.

It was a very difficult decision for us and there are varying results. My only previous experience with a spay had resulted in the loss of my pig Kitty but I had complete confidence in my new vet and things worked out wonderfully. I would also recommend trying the injections first but if necessary a competent vet can do one successfully.

Yuugi

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:13 am

I have two pigs with ovarian cysts. They are 2 years old and one is 2 years and a half so they are good candidates for spaying.
However i don't trust the vets in this area so we went with the Hormone Injections(HcG).

Momo had 2 shots and it has worked wonders. Her nipples went back to normal size and all. It has now been 2 months and she has been fine.

Mimi had 2 shots at first, then a month later she entered heat and wouldn't get out of it on her own. After 3 weeks of rumbling and chasing she got a 3rd injection wich stopped the heat.
Then this month she entered heat again and i was sure she would need a 4th injection. Thankfully after 4 days she came out of heat on her own, her shortest heat ever.

So i would give the hormone injections a try. Sometimes you might have to continue trying for a few months, but i believe they are much safer than a spay.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:59 pm

Sakura had a second vet visit on February 12th. The fungal test was slightly positive.

Dr. Wright prescribed Itraconazole 10mg/ml, .68 cc daily.

He also said that Sakura might benefit from supplemental vitamin C, and recommended Oxbow tablets. I've been giving her one Oxbow vitamin C tablet, 50mg, each morning.

I've noticed that her hair has been growing back. It is time to schedule a recheck with Dr. Wright. During the last visit, he said that if the Itraconazole worked, the hairloss was probably not the result of ovarian cysts.

Hair regrowth:

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:34 pm

Oh, wow! look at that beautiful hair!

LainLockey

Post   » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:10 am

What a beautiful girl! Is she a snuggler? I've just got a hunch - she looks like a snuggler.

I'm so glad to see that her hair has grown back. Hopefully she has no cysts at all, it sounds like she's probably in the clear. I would assume that she doesn't but keep an eye out for other symptoms just to be safe :)

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:26 am

She isn't a very snuggly pig, but she "talks" quite a bit, especially when she's walking around her pen during floor time.

She also likes to rearrange things in her cage. At night, she drags the towels and other cozy things around her, like a nest or a barricade.

She is my sweet girl. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:02 am

What a cutie! I actually suspect it was hormonal in nature. Something changed though and the hair grew back. It may still fall out again.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:26 am

She's lovely!