Sakura - Medical Thread

khb1582

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 8:23 am

Yay for no surgery!! What about Shillintong? It really seems to help my boys pass sludge at times. And my boys take it as a treat so it's not a hassle to give.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 8:30 am

Hooray for no surgery!!!! If you can get 23g butterfly sets for the subcue, she'll love you for it (or at least, hate you slightly less). I also use 25g, but they're harder to find.

egustavson

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 12:26 pm

My vet said that if you use the larger needles the subcues go faster, so the pig is in discomfort from the fluid going in a shorter time. I used 25 gauge needles because I couldn't bear to stick Sylvester with the larger needles. I have almost a full box of needles left and I can mail some to you to try.

I hope the subcues help.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 9:53 pm

Miss Sakura may have a different opinion of my assistance in her case once you stick her. ;-)

Ditto Sef. I'd want 23 g. 22's will hurt her and she will let you know. Yes, it goes faster and they don't feel the stick but once; it's not like us. But it's gonna be a more painful stick.

25's will be the most comfortable but you have to push really hard for the fluid to go in and it takes forEVER to infuse a small amount. If you're going to do this twice a day, they'll be more comfortable for her but be prepared for it to take quite a while each time.

You want butterfly sets regardless. The vets put the needle on the end of a big honking syringe, warm the fluids, grab the pig and stick. It's over with quickly and the very upset cavy usually forgets pretty quickly. I've never been able to do that at home. I need the flexibility of the tubing on a butterfly.

If she's reasonably comfortable with 23 g, try the 22. It'll go faster. I've been able to use a 22 on our toughest pigs.

Try not to stick her in the same place each time. You're looking at subcues possibly twice a day as well as the AB. Scar tissue will build up, not to mention irritating the spot. Try to rotate her injection sites ... a little more over one shoulder, a little more over another; up closer to her head, a little further down toward her back.

You can infuse them over the hip but I've never done it successfully, so can't advise.

If it were me I'd not shoot for more than 30 to 35 cc's at a time. Our pig with a similar condition was given 65 or 70 a couple of times by the vet. It really hurt her and she became terrified of being picked up after this. I've had vets tell me that only ER's push 60+ at one time and that in the case of severe dehydration. FWIW.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 8:58 pm

It has been 5 long days.
Do we have any updates on Miss Sakura?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 10:27 pm

I hope the surgery went well!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 12:03 am

She had no surgery! :-) Lotsa tiny tiny stones and sludge -- Rx subcues (such fun).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 6:58 am

egustavson--do you have a good source for the 25g butterflies? My local med supply place has closed and I haven't been able to find the smaller gauge at a decent price anywhere online.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 10:36 pm

Miss Sakura is happy (despite the shaved tummy from her ultrasound, the very bad butt cut from her past experience with incontinence, the loss of her famous "rooster tail" (she shed all of it during her illness), and a strange bald spot on her back from the subcue fluids and injection at the last vet visit).

She is also very suspicious.

Her appetite is good, and she has been drinking between 4 and 5 ounces of water per day on her own.

For anyone interested, this is a photograph of the type of deposits that she has been leaving on her bedding every day:

There are usually between 3 to 11 deposits each 24-hour period.

Sakura has an appointment tomorrow for more fluids. Despite all of the good advice and techniques that everyone has generously shared, I'm not able to give her subcues or injections at home. It has been almost an entire week since the last time I was successful, and she still screams and jumps sideways if I just try to touch her back. I do not envy the vet tech that will be handling her tomorrow.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 11:15 pm

That is definitely sludge. Poor Sakura! I hope the fluids help considerably.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 12, 2010 11:39 am

Tracis, if you change your mind and decide to take another stab at it (pardon the expression) yourself, I found this website last night that sells 25g butterflies at a really good price:

http://www.shopmedvet.com/product/6962/ ... es-needles

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed May 12, 2010 12:52 pm

That is sludgey alright. :)
Thank you for updating Miss Sakura's thread, we were all getting worried about her.

Can you blame her for being skeptical of y'all?
You've shaved her pretty belly, flowbeed her rooster tail and stabbed her with needles! :p

She is looking good Tracis. :)