Sakura - Medical Thread

sef1268

Post   » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:44 am

I'll be interested to hear, too. I ordered a bottle of the Multi-vitamin, since Josh hasn't been eating too well for the past week.

For what it's worth...I bought a bottle of Shilintong for myself a couple of months ago, when I had some stubborn bladder discomfort that didn't respond to my usual regimen of Azo Standard and cranberry juice. I could tell it was developing into a UTI, and didn't have the time to go to the doctor for testing. Took a dose of (I think) 5 tablets a day, and by the end of the 2nd day I was already noticing a definite improvement. By Days 3-4, the discomfort and urgency were completely gone! I've always been a little bit skeptical of Shilintong, but this made me a believer (for myself, anyway). Might be worth a try? If you can't get it locally, I'd be glad to send some your way.

Plain cranberry juice might also give her a little relief, if you haven't tried it already. It has usually worked for me.

Fingers crossed on the bloodwork. Sending lots of good wishes to that pretty Miss Sakura from me and the boys. :)

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:03 pm

Shilintong! Yes, I should look into that. Is there a brand that you prefer?

Sakura is having a reasonably good morning. They shaved some of her hair, to help her stay dry. Poor girl; it seems that every time her famous "rooster tail" starts to grow back, someone else shaves/trims it.

sef1268

Post   » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:18 pm

This is brand I get:
http://www.amazon.com/Yang-Cheng-Shilintong-Tablets-Bottle/dp/B004ZO07AK

The bottle looks a little different (plastic and not brown glass), but it's the same thing.

Poor Sakura! Losing her beautiful tail again. :(

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:32 pm

It's been a week since Sakura started her antibiotics, and I think I see improvements. There seems to be less sludge, and her urine looks to be a lighter shade of red.

She stared to lose her appetite for a few days this past week, but it has returned.

I do not have the results of her blood test yet, but I did ask the vet's office if they thought the new Oxbow Natural Science Urinary Support Hay Tab supplements were worth a try. They told me that they haven't tried the supplement yet, but the vet didn't think that it would hurt, and might actually help.

(Thank you sef, for the Shilintong link.)

sef1268

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:09 pm

Yay on the less sludge! Fingers crossed that the supplement helps.

Piggster

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:18 pm

I'm a bit perplexed about the Dandelion Leaf in the ingredients. My piggy Kyla suffered from cystitis for most of her life and I avoided dandelions as they caused her sludge to be worse.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:20 am

I will have to ask about that, Piggster. I don't have the supplement yet, so we haven't had a chance to try it.

Sakura hasn't had a chance to eat dandelions, since we don't have any in our yard.

As far as I've noticed, the thing that seems to make her sludge worse is when she gets the UTIs.

sef1268

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:34 pm

If memory serves, it's a natural diuretic so I assume the thought behind it as an ingredient, is that it helps keep the bladder flushed.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:52 am

Dr. Johnson called with the blood test results. He said everything looks pretty good and that there are NO signs of kidney problems.

Apparently, this is just a UTI.

We are happy! Her recheck exam is still scheduled for Friday.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:14 am

It really is good news! Horray.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:34 am

Hoping all goes well on Friday.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:03 pm

I hope Sakura is feeling better soon!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:35 pm

Good news indeed!!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:46 am

Excellent. :-)

sef1268

Post   » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:05 pm

Whew! Don't scare us like that, Sakura. ;)

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:29 pm

We had a good visit today, even though the UTI has not been completely cleared up.

Since the infection is still present, Dr. Johnson changed has her antibiotic:

0.35 ml of Ciprofloxacin 50 mg/ml every 12 hours for the next 14 days.

Sakura weighs 1267g. She has been eating and drinking well, and I hope this continues while taking the Ciprofloxacin. She hasn't had this one before, so I'm not sure how she'll react to it.

She'll have another checkup in two weeks.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:59 am

Tracis -- what kind of carrier is that? It looks like the top slides back.

I would like a couple of those!!

sef1268

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:26 pm

Where oh where is Sakura? ;)

I like the looks of that carrier, too.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:12 pm

I love this Avior Pet Carrier! Sadly, it's very hard to find. I bought two of them a few years ago on Ebay. Not sure how long this link will work, but there are pictures of it on Amazon.

The top doesn't slide back, though. It's completely removable (which is great for cleaning and storing).

The front side open:

Top, open:

Guinea pig jail:

Sakura would like everyone to know that Ciprofloxacin is not tasty, even when they claim it is apple-flavored.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:29 pm

Poor Miss Sakura. Medicine usually tastes horrible but it's so necessary. We all want you back to your usual adorable self.

305 posts