Sakura - Medical Thread

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:04 pm

Sakura travels in style! I hope she gets well soon.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:41 pm

That *is* a nice carrier!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:50 am

Sam's Club appears to have them. I'm not a member. If anyone is can you check it?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=100065

There's an awful lot of "out of stock" and "does anyone know where I can find this?" if you Google it.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:08 pm

Sakura seems to be taking a step backwards in the recovery process. She's had six doses of Ciprofloxacin, and now I'm seeing:
- lack of appetite,
- unhappy girl facing the corner,
- dark spots on the bedding.

I called Arizona Exotic Animal Hospital, and they are going to squeeze us in tomorrow morning. Dr. Johnson said to discontinue the Ciprofloxacin.

edited to add:
I would check Sam's Club for you, Talishan, but I am not a member. :(

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:56 am

Tracis, I am going through the same thing with my two pigs, who were put on cipro in a last ditch effort to shake a resistant URI.

Both pigs weigh around a kilo. Their dose was 0.1 cc of a 100mg/mL suspension 2x a day (apple-flavored, incidentally. And the first time my big little boy tasted it, he pawed at his mouth. It was very funny and sad at the same time.)

Five days after starting the cipro my boy was off his food and producing bright orange pee. There were also dark spots in the bedding. He lost 50 grams in 2 days. I took him off the cipro for 5 days, switched to another AB, and have now added it back in at half dose (upon advice of the vet), to see if he tolerates it better, as I am desperate to get rid of this URI. I am hand-feeding and watering the pigs about 4 times a day right now to combat weight loss, although both are still on their food.

Frankly, I am afraid the cipro (and the gentamicin, which is producing similar side-effects) is doing some damage. I will be interested to hear what your vet has to say.

Hope Sakura is okay, and feels better soon.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:26 am

I think you both know this but cipro is essentially Baytril -- that is, Baytril is metabolized by their bodies into cipro and the cipro is actually what does the work in their bodies. You're bypassing one metabolitic (? if that's a word) step by giving them cipro, but that's it.

That is to say cipro is going to have the very same problems with frequent intolerance/intolerability issues that Baytril does.

Tracis -- without reading back why is Sakura on cipro and not Bactrim? She may need an extended course of Bactrim rather than going to cipro.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:02 pm

Dr. Johnson tested Sakura's urine today. The infection is still present, but no red blood cells. He said that sometimes there may be discoloration in the urine from the flavored antibiotics.

I am relieved, but it really did look like dried blood. I brought her bed with me to the appointment to show him the dark spots.

This is what I've been seeing in her cage:

This is from her carrier today:

Dr. Johnson told me to keep her off antibiotics for 24 hours to let her stomach settle from the Ciprofloxacin, and then start Bactrim tomorrow morning.

Now we have a refill of:
0.6 ml of Trimethoprim/Sulfamethoxazole 48mg/ml every 12 hours for the next 28 days.

Sakura weighed 1282g today. She was not in the best of moods, but she did allow two very nice veterinary students to gently palpate her ovarian cyst.

"without reading back why is Sakura on cipro and not Bactrim? She may need an extended course of Bactrim rather than going to cipro."

Talishan, you are absolutely right. Today, Dr. Johnson noted in her chart "no more Cipro". He really wanted to get rid of the infection, and since two weeks of Bactrim didn't knock it out this time, he wanted to try something stronger rather than an extended course of Bactrim. She has had Baytril in the past, and seemed to do all right on that antibiotic. We plan to stick with Bactrim for any future UTIs.

LS, I hope your boys have a complete recovery. Sometimes it is so hard to know the least harmful option.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:59 am

"He really wanted to get rid of the infection, and since two weeks of Bactrim didn't knock it out this time, he wanted to try something stronger rather than an extended course of Bactrim. She has had Baytril in the past, and seemed to do all right on that antibiotic."

His reasoning was fine, especially since she'd tolerated it in the past.

I'll consider myself right once it works and she's UTI-free. ;-)

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:17 pm

I mentioned this on LS's thread, but also wanted to keep track here as well.

Sakura had her last dose of Ciprofloxacin on Monday morning, July 2nd. The staff told me that Cipro is very bitter, and I've been wondering if they have to add more flavoring to try to disguise the flavor. Now that Sakura has changed antibiotics, I'll keep track of how long it takes the dark spots to stop appearing on her bedding.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:42 pm

I hope Sakura is feeling better soon. I bet she likes the Bactim better then the Cipro!

Please keep is updated.

Her weight looks really good.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:49 pm

My darling fluffy Sakura is gone.

Monday morning. She was drooling so much that I couldn’t get any of her medication into her. This is something that she had never done before, so I was very alarmed. She also looked like she was in pain.

Her symptoms:
- Constant drooling, very wet chin
- Hunching, as if in pain
- Refusing all food

Dr. Johnson saw us at 4:00. He felt a large mass in her abdomen and then performed a quick ultrasound to see what it was. The mass was located in her other ovary, and apparently rapidly growing, since it wasn’t visible in the ultrasound on June 15th.

The mass/cyst was painful, so Dr. Johnson thought that her drooling might be caused by pain. He gave her fluids, an injection of Atropine to help stop the drooling until the pain medications reduced her discomfort, and a higher dose of Meloxicam and some Tramadol.

Although she looked a little better when we finally got home, the Atropine didn’t seem to help with the drooling very much; she was spitting and drooling while I was trying to feed her Critical Care.

This morning she wasn’t even moving around the cage, so we returned to the vet’s office. She still responded to my voice, but she looked so miserable.

Dr. Johnson examined her again, and noted that the mass/cyst was “movable”. He told me that it seemed to be lodging against her stomach and intestines, and may be compressing her organs.

I told him that it was time, and Sakura was humanely euthanized. I was able to be with her, holding her after he injected her.

She was so happy and full of life on Sunday night, and now she is gone.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Oh no, I'm in shock! I'm so sorry she is gone. :'(
She was so loved, I'm grateful you let us love her too.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:43 pm

We will forever remember beautiful Sakura! RIP sweet baby!

I am so very sorry for your loss, Tracis!

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:46 pm

Oh my goodness. I'm so very sorry, Tracis. We all know how much you love her and she knew too. She was such a lovely girl and so full of personality. I will miss seeing her sweet face and her adorable rooster tail.

Please take good care of yourself. Big hugs to you.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:56 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about Sakura.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:56 pm

I'm so sorry Tracis. Not our beautiful Sakura but hugs to you for doing the right thing and letting her go. She will be very missed here as well as by you. She was a GL "legend".

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Oh, no! I am sorry to see this end. You did the humane and loving thing.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:31 pm

Oh no. I am so sorry RIP little one.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:38 pm

Oh, no! I am so terribly sorry. She was such a bright spot - she was so well loved. You have all my sympathy. Goodbye, Sakura.

sef1268

Post   » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:48 pm

Oh no, not Sakura. :( I'm so, so sorry Tracis. Sakura was one of my all-time favorite pigs, and her beautiful face always made me smile. I always thought she would have been the perfect girlfriend for our sweet boy, Toby.

You have my very deepest sympathy and warmest thoughts.

305 posts