Sakura - Medical Thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:50 pm

Ditto Talishan. Some pigs have been on bactrim for some time. Hope it clears up quickly!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:46 pm

Big girl! Dose is right (actually, an eyelash low but not enough to worry about IMO).

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:22 am

Sakura is still feeling well, and eating her usual share.

The UTI seems to be clearing, thanks to the Bactrim.

I still find some faint spots, like these, but not as often:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:21 am

Too bad urine doesn't come with little flags describing exactly what is in it "just porphyrins" - "a faint amount of blood". Hope she clears completely.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:22 am

Sakura had her follow-up visit today, with Dr. Johnson this time.

The UTI seems to have cleared.

She has had loose stools on-and-off since February, though.

Dr. Johnson ran a fecal float test, and said there may be signs of something parasitic or baterial overgrowth. He prescribed .065 cc of Metronidazole, 50mg/ml every 12 hours for 7 days. (Sakura weighs 1350g.)

Her white fur has become stained, and I've been blaming the loose poop. Dr. Johnson said that it looked more like urine stains, and said that she is incontinent. He doesn't know if she was having incontinence from her infection or if she had incontinence that caused her infection.

A nurse gently shaved around her bottom, so that area will (hopefully) stay drier. Her Aby fur is so fluffy on top that her shaved area can't be seen until she stands up.

She finished her course of Bactrim. Should I ask if she can continue taking it, in case it helps with the incontinence problem (if it is related to the UTI)? Can she take Bactrim at the same time as Metronidazole?

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:42 am

Definitely ask for a longer course of Bactrim if she is incontinent. My handicapped piggie was on both when she had diarhhea. The Metro course was only 10 days whereas the Bactrim was 21 days until she got over the UTI.

Such a brave little girl!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:47 pm

I would go for a longer course of Bactrim too. I hope she is feeling okay. Come on, Sakura!

sammianne

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:14 pm

Thinking good thoughts for Sakura!

Off topic, but that carrier looks really cool. Where did you get it?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:51 pm

Sakura is such a pretty girl. Hope she gets better soon.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:50 pm

Brave AND beautiful. :))) I hope she feels better soon (ditto what the others said about Bactrim).

Agree -- very cool carrier. Which one is it?

LainLockey

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:57 pm

She's such a good and brave girl! Sending good thoughts and happy juju her way!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:39 pm

Thanks for the well wishes!

Sakura seems to be feeling all right. She is eating and drinking. She is annoyed at me because I keep trying to check her bottom.

I gave her some Bactrim this morning.

The carrier is an Avior Pet Carrier. It is very nice and roomy inside. The top opens from either end, or can be removed completely. It can be secured inside the car with a seatbelt. It is much easier to get a reluctant guinea pig out of this carrier than the traditional cat carrier I used previously. I found mine on Ebay.