What is this crud???

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 28, 2002 7:50 pm

What a great pic! For some reason, I didn´t see it before (maybe it didn´t load?). She´s a lovely girl and looks quite happy with that guinea pig.

I think they are lucky to have found each other.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue May 28, 2002 8:12 pm

It looks like Acorn finally got his own little girl. Good for him! And by the look on her face, I bet he´ll be very spoiled.

pinta

Post   » Tue May 28, 2002 8:27 pm

Yeah, Bats. Play nice. Besides you have to earn your fangs.

They only come after a lot of life experience.

pigpal

Post   » Tue May 28, 2002 8:58 pm

Acorn is one lucky pig, what a happy outcome!
Now Thumper needs an adorable, and adoring, young lady to adopt him too.

my2piggies

Post   » Thu May 30, 2002 5:00 pm

Lucky Acorn, he looks so well, its hard to believe its the same pig in those earlier photos. Teresa, you deserve a medal for what you do

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu May 30, 2002 5:15 pm

Wow, Teresa. They look 120% better! I´m thrilled Acorn has a new home.

Oooh, is Pinta getting a bit squooshy around the edges over the little girl? Ah, well, if a kid´s going to have any addiction, it might as well be the cute and furry kind. ;)

CathyMDS

Post   » Fri May 31, 2002 1:30 pm

Teresa: Please let us know what the vet says. One of my piggers is going thru almost the same thing. Last week I took JC to the vet, on thursday, because it looked like he had gotten one of his back toenails stuck on something and the toe was very swollen. The vet said it was basically the same thing as a human stubbing a toe.. that it would take about 14 days for the swelling to go down. I also noticed a small area on his rear flank that was missing some fur and had small red bumps on it, like a rash. The vet had no idea but gave JC a steroid shot to see if that would clear it up. Every night as I held JC before going to bed, I could feel a small scab where I thought the needle mark was. On Wednesday morning I got him and there was a nasty open sore on his back, the size of a pencil eraser, and two bloody scratch marks below that. I put some neosporin on the sores in the morning. When I got home from work I applied another coat of neosporin. When I woke up Thursday morning, the wound was nastier and there was another open sore below the first one. I seperated him from his roomate and applied some more neosporin. I had to pick up my dog from the vet yesterday afternoon, and when I got home from work, JC´s back was extremely swollen, and there was another set of bloody scratch marks down his back. I packed him up and took him to the vet with me. The vet was shocked at how bad the wounds are and that the area is so swollen. He doesn´t think it´s from the steroid injection but we don´t know what´s wrong. So as of last night, I put JC back on the fulvicin antibiotic. I also bought some HibeCleans to wash out the wounds, and apply neosporin. He also gave me some heavy bandage tape to tape JC"s foot up so he can´t get to the wounds with his nails. That is working pretty good. I just cut a piece and wrap it from the top, down around his nails to the enderside, and press the sides together to make a "pad". This morning there were no new scratches. I looked at your pictures and JC"s back looks exactly like Picture #3 & 12.

Teresa

Post   » Fri May 31, 2002 1:55 pm

All of the information is posted in this thread. Both pigs have been treated and recovered just fine. You may want to reread the thread. Mites in addition to scurvy and bad care caused the skin problem. You might want to repost your problem as a new topic. It would be nice to keep this one on the one topic, especially since it´s already so long, and has a good beginning and conclusion.

CathyMDS

Post   » Fri May 31, 2002 1:55 pm

Dang--- sorry.. I didn´t look and just found another 10 pages of replies that I didn´t read ! I forgot to tell you that my vet also put JC on 2cc of Benadryl every 8 hours for itching. I brought him to work with me today.. I just couldn´t leave him alone at home, and I haven´t seem him itching that area at all today.

Also... I love your web page.. have you ever thought about asking people to sponsor one of your Guinea Pigs?

Teresa

Post   » Fri May 31, 2002 2:03 pm

Thanks. There´s a whole page devoted to asking for support/help: www.cavyspirit.com/helping.htm I would get him treated for mites no matter what, no question. Can´t hurt. Please email me. I have a question for you.
Last edited by Teresa on Fri May 31, 2002 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BizyLizy

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2002 8:04 am

A question ... was Benadryl ever suggested by Dr. N? And .. how long before they stopped crying, etc?

Also, did CathyMDS start another thread that I can check regarding treatment of her guinea pig? And, has anyone ever used a sock (such as Peter G. suggests) for protecting the skin from scratching? Thanks.

Teresa

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2002 11:27 am

I don´t remember the details at this point. I chose not to use a sock as they were just too sensitive to touch. As I recall, the intense scratching and crying stopped sometime just over a week. I also don´t remember what Dr. N said about Benadryl. I know it wasn´t recommended for these guys. Can´t remember if I asked him about it or not.