Panqueca - Medical Thread

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:58 pm

I think I can have some Epitezan (chloramphenicol + amino acids + methionine + retinol) if she doesn't improve ultil tomorrow.

Thanks!

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:43 am

Today I took some better photos of her eye:

Her right eye is normal, to compare:

I realize I dont have the ointment I though, I just have an ophtalmic dexamethasone ointment. I can't take the kind with antibiotic because there's a new law here - antibiotics just under prescription, even the ointments. :[

What do you think about the eye? It's not that bad, but it's not normal, for sure. She's active and normal behavior. I'm really thinking in some kind of irritation - maybe the dexamethasone helps?
I'll be fine, ma?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2017

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:43 am

You sure are a cutie! I am thinking perhaps a poke with some hay? Keep an eye (no pun intended) on it. You may wish to gently life the eye lid to see if there is anything in it, it might just be some dirt or something. Try not to worry! Sending hugs and healing vibes.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:53 am

Very cool pics, Regiane! I love the reflection of the camera in the eye. Would you like me to add them to this thread?

Looks less inflamed. Looks like the beginning of pea eye - not in itself a serious issue.

She is adorable.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:10 am

Thanks daisymay! I'll keep an eye in her eye! ;)

Lynx, sure you can add the photos. You can see my husband taking the photo, and me in her eyes!

I was reading (again) the eyes page, it looks like "pea eye" or "red eye". I think you're right. I'll observe her carefully in the next days to confirm.

Thank you again.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:25 pm

I'm SO scared!!!

It's worsening, her eye is clouding and watering! How it could wouse that fast?
I'm taking her right now to a vet, not the same I took her last time. :(

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:47 pm

Sounds like a possible injury. I forget, do you have any ophthalmic ointment? The eye needs a thorough exam. I think there are tips on the eye page about checking for scratches. If the eye is not bulging, that is a good sign.

gl/eyes.html

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:50 pm

I agree with Lynx. It looks like an injury. When I first saw the picture, I thought 'cataracts', but they would not come that fast.

I hope Panqueca's eye gets straightened out.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:59 pm

The vet will need to check thoroughly under the lid. Sometimes pieces of hay become wedged there.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:39 pm

I just got back from the vet.

The vet examined her eyes. He made fluorescence test - thank God there is no corneal damage!

He said that it doesn't look to be a bacterial infection, because only one eye is affected. He said that probably the eye was irritated by something and it led to a uveitis with conjunctivitis. He explained that the uveitis is an inflammation of the first layer of the eye, and with prompt treatment she should be fine.

He applied an injection of enrofloxacin + meloxicam + dipyrone subcutaneously. He said that the antibiotic was for the case of the inflammation become a gateway to an opportunistic bacterium.

He wiped outside her eye out with boric acid solution and applied an ophtalmic ointment: gentamicin + hydrocortisone + Vitamin A + Vitamin D. I have to apply this ointment 3 times a day for at least 10 days.

I have to take Panqueca in there again in five days if she is well - if she's not improving, I'll take her there at any time.

The vet told me to clean her eye with cool chamomile tea before applying ointment, because it is a natural tranquilizer. He said I could make the tea and keep in refrigerator for up to 3 days. What do you think?

He also examinated and cleaned her ears, teeth, everything. He said her lump in the back looks like a dermoid cyst, and we'll monitor it.

He also asked about her diet, vitamin C, if she have company... I really liked him. So glad I found him.

What do you think about his conduct?

Thank you again for all the help and support!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:00 pm

Not sure the tea would help but you can try it. Did he look under the lid for foreign particles?

I think the ointment should help.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:04 am

I hope it clears up soon. Great pics though, they make this a great topic for future eye problems in pigs.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2017

Post   » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:49 am

Hoping she gets better real soon. The man sounds like a very good vet. Sending hugs and healing vibes to you both!

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:19 am

Thanks Lynx, pigjes and daisymay. It's so good to have a place to come and share this. It's not easy too see my girl passing through this.

Lynx, I don't know how much under the lid he could see, but he examinated it, he opened her eyes, used some instruments with lights and lenses. He also used a special cam so I could see her eye in the television too. I hope he could see everything... if there was something inside the eye, her eye should be watering, don't? Her eye just started watering a little yesterday night, when it turned blank.

I've applied the ointment today. Her eye look the same as yesterday until now, but I've read it's a thing that spend time to improve.

It breaks my heart to see her this way. She's scared since she can't see with this eye, but she's still active. I was watching her to see if she's eating and she is. It's a good sign, right? She doesn't look like she's in pain.

I was worried because Pantufinha tried to lick her next to her eye, I think it's because of the ointment, but Panqueca don't let she licks - good thing Panqueca is the leader.

Right now she's pancaked in her hut, I'm trying not bore her too much. I have to aply the ointment at afternoon, I'll try to take better pictures of her eye.

I'd really like to know what I can expect from this eye. The vet said I took her in there in the right time, so the infection is in the beggining and it's treatable. I'd like to believe the eye will heal and she will be fine. But obviously I started reading about uveitis and I'm really worried. Looks like it's different in dogs, cats, humans. In cats, it could be chronicle. In humans, it can heal, but in some cases it could worse even with treatment and it can turn blind.

I'm trying to be fine with it, since Panqueca looks fine. I'm doing everything I can for her, but I'm really feeling so bad.

Brainerror

Post   » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:05 am

Thinking of you both! Had this happen to my late Granny pig and she recovered after a week. Panqueca should be OK soon.

**healing vibes**

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:02 am

I actually don't know that it is infected. It may be irritated and abraded so as a protection it is clouding. As the irritation goes away and the abrasion heals, it would clear. The cream you are using should aid in healing and I think is more important than the antibiotics (from what little I know, I think this is the case).

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:28 am

I went through something like this with one of my pigs last spring. The vet told me it was going to look worse before it looked better again, and he was right. Keep using the ointment and give it a few days to heal (I think ours took 2 weeks before the eye looked completely back to normal).

SwtMelly

Post   » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:59 am

Sending healing vibes for Pancueca. Thank you for being so vigilant and posting such a clear and informative set of pictures. You re such a good Mommy.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:08 pm

Ditto to what others have said - the eye looks really bad to us but it should heal nicely in a week or two and she'll be just fine. Just keep doing what you're doing.

A hay poke happened to the Bug once and she did well.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:04 pm

Thank you all for the supportive messages. Good to know about other cases like this and that it can look bad before heal and it can take time, so I can prepare myself. So good to know it really can heal.

I took these photos now, before apply the ointment. I cleaned it with sterile saline solution, because I have not prepared chamomile tea yet. I'll prepare it now so it will be cold for the next application.

The blank aspect in her eye really scares. I noticed that the brightness seems to bother her.

I tried to take a photo from above to show both eyes:

She's a good girl, doesn't like the ointment but she let me do it. She got her favorite veggies so she must think it's a big deal.

316 posts