Alice can't use her back legs

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sun May 30, 2010 8:10 pm

Just for anyone else reading this, I've seen two elderly pigs with similar symptoms. My mom's sow never did regain her ability to walk and Mom nursed her and bathed her for more than a month before she passed. Dutchess was in good spirits but her quality of life was limited. She had to be propped up on towels.

When Neal exhibited similar symptoms, I took him to the vet. He was able to stand a day or two after symptoms started, but he was not well. Vet said he was arthritic but also that he looked like maybe he'd had a mini stroke. I chose to let him go.

I do hope that your pig's condition was temporary, but not all pigs have a good recovery.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2017

Post   » Sun May 30, 2010 10:02 pm

We also recently lost an older pig a 2-3 days after she stopped being able to use her hind legs. It was a peaceful passing.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun May 30, 2010 11:38 pm

St. John's Wort.

http://www.hypericum.com/nuts.htm

I've never heard of it used for arthritis, but one never knows.

I'm not a big believer in or fan of supplements, but I have seen them work on occasion very, very well, on both humans and animals. If it works, coincidental or not, Alice is walking and that's what counts.

Deb K

Post   » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:42 pm

Thank you for your support, Talishan!

The homeopathic vet has fixed gps of mine when my vet has suggested euthanasia. Alice is getting better by the day! She can stand on her legs and buzzes around her cage now! I just wanted to let you know what was going on in case it might help another pig out there.

Deb

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2017

Post   » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:53 pm

Great news! Keep it up, Alice!

Deb K

Post   » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:03 pm

Thank you for your support, MM!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:32 pm

Something else to consider for arthritis treatments in future. Unorthodox, perhaps, but NSAID's long-term have drawbacks as well.

Deb K

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:54 pm

Hello,

Unfortunately, it is me again with a question about Alice and her legs. She is now pulling her hair off of one of her back legs. Is that a sign of pain? She is doing better but has her on and off days. I guess I am just questioning her quality of life. She is a sweet, docile and loving pig. I wonder if she would cry at all if she was in pain? The chewing off of the hair just happened yesterday...

Thank you for your thoughts!

Deb

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2017

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:11 pm

I'd strongly suspect it's pain. Many animals react to pain by chewing at themselves rather than making noises we would recognize. The pain may not even be in her leg, but somewhere she can't reach.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:51 pm

The other possibility is that she has lost feeling there and does not recognize her body parts as part of her. So pulling out hair might actually not hurt.

Not a good idea for her to pull it out though!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:00 pm

How is her ability to move? Better, worse, the same?

I think if it were me I'd try her on Metacam and see if she stops. If she does, then it was likely pain.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2017

Post   » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:14 am

Pain or not, it'd be good to see if a vet can figure out whether Alice has a new problem.

Deb K

Post   » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:33 pm

Thank you all! I will try metacam and make an appointment. She is doing better. She is up and around and about 75 % of them time ok. I think that sometimes she must get stiff and has to get the kinks out then she walks relatively normally. I will let you all know as soon as I find something out...

Thank you again for your help! You are all the best!

Deb

Deb K

Post   » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:22 am

I wanted to let you all know that I had to help Alice to rainbow bridge on Friday. Her paralysis had spread up her spine and she was unable to to move and was pretty much permanantly stuck on her side.

She was with me for 6 years but was pregnant when I got her so I am unsure of her age.

I miss her very much already. She was a beautiful little girl..

RIP Mama

Kat

Post   » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:24 am

I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP, Alice.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:55 am

I am so sorry :((

RIP Alice!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:00 pm

I am so sorry, Deb K. It's so hard to lose them.

Deb K

Post   » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:37 pm

The only thing that helps me through during times like this is that other people (Guinea Lynx) understand what I am going through....Helps me not feel so alone, you know?

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:11 pm

I'm so sad to hear of Alice's passing. You gave her so much, even a peaceful end. She had a wonderful life with you.

Sleep well, sweet Alice.

Deb K

Post   » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:38 pm

Thank you, Bethie....what wonderful words.....

46 posts