Boar with protruding penis

Calypso

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2002 1:50 pm

Hi Everyone,
I was watching Milo (my neutered boar) run around during floor time last night and noticed that he seems to be in an ..um... "aroused" state and still is this morning. I didn´t really think anything of it until I came across this info posted on Peter Gurney´s Health Guide ( Protruding Penis ) and now I am quite concerned.

I looked at the sexing pictures on Teresa´s site and this is what he looks like, without have to press his genital area:

His penis is not retracting and does look a bit on the dry side. I don´t see a "ring of semen" as PG describes so I´m not really sure what to do. Milo doesn´t seem to be showing signs of being in pain, but he is biting me now while I´m holding him in my lap. Is it time for a trip to the vet?

Thanks for you help.
Last edited by Calypso on Fri Mar 29, 2002 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2002 2:04 pm

I think you might have to slide the sheath back to see if something is stuck inside (I don´t have a boar so I am just guessing). Soaking may help. You are right that it would be a good thing to take care of as you don´t want it abraded and injured because it´s hanging out. I vaguely seem to remember some posts on protruding penises at CG [ http://www.caviesgalore.com/forums ] that might be turned up in a search (see the Search button at the top of each page).

So my guess is to soak him and look much more closely to see if something is stuck there. If there is redness or it feels hot, there may be something else going on.

pinta

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:29 pm

I´ve had a pig with a protruding penis. The penis was out of the shaft and swollen, with white gunk constricting it. It did not look like this pic at all.

I ended up taking him to the vets to have them clean him off and solve the problem. I did try soaking but panicked when it had no effect on the swelling. But apparently my soaking did have effect because all the vets did was add some mineral oil.

------------

I just checked a boar. His penis was not quite as extended. It could be that this guy is just beginning to have a problem - follow lynx´s advice.
Last edited by pinta on Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pigpal

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2002 11:42 pm

My neutered boar has this problem from time to time, but his penis extends much further than the picture above. It seems to be related to lack of natural lubrication (due to neuter?). Since bedding and debris get stuck to the "white gunk" and are likely to cause more irritation I wash it off with lukewarm water, lube it up with KY jelly and slide it back where it belongs. Seems to take of it.

Calypso

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2002 11:52 am

Thank you all for your advice, I appreciate it. I did a search over at CG and read through those threads as well.

Pigpal, thank you for your suggestion. I think you are right. I also checked over Molly and it appears that she may be in heat (if I´m interpreting the pictures correctly) so I´m curious whether that may be having an affect on Milo. I will wash him off with warm water and give the KY jelly a try and will just keep my eye on it for now.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1