UK Piggy - Anselmo's Medical Thread

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:52 am

I just wanted to say 'thank you' to every one who has helped us over the years, bpatters, Talishan and Lynx in particular.

Without the support and advice of this board Anselmo probably wouldn't be here now. So thank you again.

He's pottering around his cage, he's not wanting to climb up the bars any more, but he'll happily stand right near to the front to wait for his veg to arrive. He's still favouring his leg but he's definitely using it.

I have more vet bed on order so he can be as comfortable as possible.

I'm going to try to bond my other two at the weekend, and buddy bath them, so I might see what Anselmo thinks about standing in warm water. I think it helped my last piggy with arthritis.

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:23 am

Hi Jaycey. Just to say I'm thinking about you and Anselmo. You're a brilliant piggy Mummy and he couldn't be in better hands. I hope he is feeling more comfortable very soon.
You know where I am if I can help at all.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:15 pm

Thanks Hilary. We're just waiting on the blood results to find out what the diagnosis is.

Best case scenario is he can stay on all of his med's and he's happy for as long as possible. Worst case is his med's have to stop, but we'll cross that bridge if we get to it.

I definitely need to thank you and BamBam for everything you have both done for me and the piggies. It is always a massive relief knowing I have you both to rely on. Thank you.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:00 pm

Jaycey, I'm so glad you have a really good support team in the UK! BamBam is da best! (not to mention a few other UKers!)

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:53 pm

Thanks Jaycey. I'm going down to the CCT on Sunday for a study day / training session on Sunday so I might be a little more use in the future! And don't forget, if you need a break from caring, I'm here. It's wearing physically and emotionally looking after a sick pig. And there's no shame on asking for a bit of support.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:48 pm

We have learned a lot from Anselmo and you too, and that in turn can help other pigs. ;-)

Continued best to him and to you, and to all the UK team.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:56 am

We have Anselmo's blood test results and they're very good.

The vet said that all of the different levels are normal, only the creatin (sic?) is slightly low. But that isn't at any level that would cause problems.

This blood protein level is good, so him excreting protein in his urine isn't affecting his kidneys.

As far as the results show, his kidneys are working normally. Which is a great sign, one for him being okay, and another as a step forward in the test of Bendrofluazide on pigs. He's been taking it for over a year now, and it's not had any affect on his kidneys.

Our plan of action:
-Continue as is with all of his meds, and include Metacam daily now for his arthritis

-Try to increase fluids. I am wetting his veg and providing him with a bottle of very dilute fresh orange juice (basically water with a few drips of orange in it) whilst the weather is cool enough to not make it go bad. Then I'll have to try to find something he likes, that won't harm and I can leave with him all day.

-Try to increase activity. This will be harder now he has been diagnosed with arthritis. I might try putting him in warm water so see if that stimulates him.

-Possibly x-ray again in a few months to see where the 2 tiny stones are.

On another positive note the little monster was climbing up the side of his cage last night, and did it again this morning. The arthritis in his shoulders, hips and hocks aren't slowing this bad boar down!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:22 pm

Oh excellent news. Thanks for the update, and continued best to him.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Fri May 27, 2016 7:18 am

Anselmo was at the vet yesterday for more of his med's. It was lucky that I had an appointment booked as he decided to get a hay seed wedged in his eye the night before.

He has Fucithalmic eye drops for 5 days, 1 drop twice a day. If it's not better we need to continue for a few more. His eye looks okay now, other than it being a bit opaque. The eye stain showed an ulcer in the centre.

The vet was massively impressed with his urine sample, it was way more diluted than usual. Giving him access to watered down fresh juice, and wetting his veg really helps.

She did comment on his x-rays taken last time too. Although she is really impressed what he's managing fine on 0.1mm of Metacam once a day, occasionally upped to 0.2 if his hair looks a bit puffy, she said that we need to be aware that his arthritis will cause him issues at some point. Both her and the other vet said he's got one of the worst cases they've ever seen, and it's in all visible joints.

But, as he's still perky, bright and eating we're going to take things day by day. He's been such a soldier for years already I think he'll be around for quite a while still.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 27, 2016 7:48 am

I hope so too!!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri May 27, 2016 8:08 pm

Ditto. Best to him and to you!

Courteous of him to get the hay seed in his eye the night before an appointment. :-p

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:45 am

Glad he had a positive vet visit and hope his eye continues to improve.