UK Piggy - Anselmo's Medical Thread

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:19 pm

There are no vet prescribed medications in the solution. I was told to buy it online as the vet did not stock it.

The bottle states it is "a multi-purpose broad spectrum preparation effective against bacteria, fungi, viruses and spores as a topical application to prevent and treat respiratory diseases, for nasal and sinus flushing, as a wound irrigating and skin decontamination solution."

It doesn't state the full ingredients, saying I need to get a material safety data sheet, but the front states "active constituents 0.022g/100ml Benzalkonium Chloride and 0.002g/100ml Poly(hexamethylene biguanide) Hydrochloride."

It states it is a veterinary medicine on the bottle and is for use in pet animals such as birds, guinea pigs, rabbits and reptiles.

A 20min nebuliser uses about 4ml of the premixed solution. The vet did tell me how to mix it if I bought the concentrate but I can't remember off the top of my head.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:23 pm

What that reminds me of is antibacterial soap. It's supposedly got something in it that will help you, but it's not strong enough to do any good, and may actually be harmful.

If you think he's got a URI, that stuff is useless. He needs an antibiotic in the nebulizer. If he doesn't have a URI, it's probably also useless.

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:13 pm

I honestly thought F10 was a cage cleaning product. I've learned something new today.

The first article in the list on this page details nasal flushing in a birds, tortoises and rabbits, as well as having a section on nebuliser use.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:58 pm

Okay, so I'm pretty worried now that I might actually be harming him from using the nebuliser. I'm not going to increase the timing or frequency until I've spoken to his vet.

They're supposed to be a guine pig knowledgeable vet, why on Earth would they prescribe this treatment if I could harm him by doing so?!

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:02 am

I wasn't able to speak to the vet so I have him booked in for an appointment first thing tomorrow morning to discuss our options.

He was noisy this morning eating his food, and then fine again. He's bright and happy, and has put on tiny amount of weight since I last weighed him a few days ago.

I'm going to try to search GL and find other peoples experiences with breathing problems. Particularly nebuliser treatments as we're obviously doing it very wrong, and possibly heart (although I know I'll need to xray before we get anywhere with that).

I've had one pig with a heart problem and another with pneumonia symptoms and he sounds like neither. He's had noisy breathing on and off his whole life (that I've had him). Baytril has done nothing to help. Things like an open window will affect him and cause him to be snuffly the next day. Hence, the vets initial suggestion of an allergy and the nebuliser.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:26 pm

Let us know what the vet says.

Ditto; that sounds like antibacterial soap to me, too. :-/

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:57 am

I'm on my phone so I'll post again when I'm on a pc.

We have to continue nebulisation at 2 x day, maybe increase to 30 mins if he'll handle it. Continue with F10.

We have Sulfatrim for 14 days. Not Baytril as it hasn't worked before. If it doesn't do anything she'll look into/order in nebuliser meds.

His weight has increased since the last appointment. Vet leaning slightly more towards kidney problem now. We need another urine sample for protein.

Increased sludge needs to be kept an eye on and if increases more they'll hopefully xray, along with a bladder flush.

Don't want to xray because of breathing problems and possible kidney problem.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:05 am

Despite the Sulfatrim being more for UTI than URI things seem to be going positively.

He's not as noisy now, and I've not noticed any wet nostrils or white lumps being sneezed out anymore. So fingers crossed!

I completely forgot about the urine sample (work has been pretty bad lately) so I'll need to do that shortly so we can investigate kidney issues. I bought some urine test sticks for my own use (on the pigs, not me) so I'll use this as a test to see if my stick gives the same result as the vet.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:28 am

He seems to be doing really well, so I've started to reduce the nebuliser times, which I think he'll be happy about as he doesn't like being in there.

He still feels a bit bloated though. I noticed the day before his appointment that his sides felt a bit springy. He's eating, pooping and moving about fine though. Weird. I gave him a bit of Metoclopramide last night. It doesn't seem to have made a difference, but I'll continue for a few more days.

I'm thinking that that is the cause of his weight gain. But I'll still send a urine sample to the vet just in case.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:30 am

Thanks for the update. Hoping he improves and that it's real weight gain!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:59 pm

Ditto Lynx. Sounds like a plan, and please keep us posted.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:34 am

Anselmo was at the vet yesterday.

We took along a urine sample to eliminate the possibility of the vet causing protein in his urine by expressing it from him. The dip stick test showed a higher protein content than last time, so we're going to have to act on it now.

She's going to send off the sample for further tests on the protein levels, then we'll have a discussion on what to do next.

I weighed him on Sunday evening and he was 1307g and at the vet yesterday he was 1250g. A bit of a difference but he tends to weigh less on a morning. So, at the moment we're classing it as no weight loss, but I'll weigh him regularly now.

He's also happy, bright, still eating and doesn't squeak when peeing and pooping, so he seems healthy in all other regards.