Concerned about Bette.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:14 pm

I noticed a while ago there was a hooting sound coming from Bette it only happened one morning for about 5 minutes. Last Friday the noise returned, and since then it came back again on Tuesday. It only comes in the morning, and normally when she's sitting eating hay.

Bette is a big girl weighs 1180 grams, but in the last 2 days she has lost 67grams.

She has always been a big drinker but recently she is drinking about half a bottle of water a day.

She is a peoples pig and sits about frequently, but now when I go in with the veg she takes ages to wake up frightens me half too death!

I have noticed her poo's were soft, so took away her veg and just gave her hay and pellets.

The bottom right corner is the poo's.

We have a vet appointment first thing Monday. I'm wondering what the vet should do. I was thinking kidneys and heart. Perhaps an X-ray?

Sidera17

Post   » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:30 pm

The poop looks a little worrisome to me. Can you try and catch her hooting so you can show a vet? Also, how is her eating? Check her for any sneezing/coughing too. My pig Chex made a "hooting" like noise one morning, and it was the beginning of a URI.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:39 pm

The hooting is very low, I did have a video but I deleted by accident but you couldn't hear it on the camera anyway. Only with speakers up really loud.

On one of the heart threads "MUM" has recorded the classic hoot its that noise. I originally thought it was a congested/wheeze nose.

I should have added she basically just sleeps, but she does get up for her food and have a good munch. I see her eating and have been watching closely it seems fine but her poops are smaller, which makes me think shes not eating enough.

SoCalCavies
Partners in Crime

Post   » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi Fred_and_co! Bette is beautiful!

Did you already read the Heart page? If not, read it. Then, read it again:

http://www.guinealynx.info/heart.html

So many times heart conditions are MIS-diagnosed. Be careful!

I have a pig that sleeps the same way you are describing. We have to literally shake the cage to wake him up because otherwise we scare him half to death. He also "hoots" and always has, as well as having 3 other symptoms on the Heart list. Therefore, I finally decided to give him heart meds as a trial without really knowing for sure. So many times it's misdiagnosed even with the best of vet's. Maybe you could ask your vet if he/she would be willing to give it a try, too? Supposidely, if they have a heart condition, you will notice a huge difference within days. It's worth a shot!

Also, does Bette have any guinea pig friends? Guinea pigs who are solitary animals don't fare as well as those who have other guinea pigs around them. Maybe that's why she's sleeping so much. It could be sheer boredom.

Wishing you the best of luck either way!!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Ditto on reading the heart pages here. Mum's nick wasn't "Queen of hearts" for nothing.

I would have an x-ray/ultrasound done but don't be surprised if nothing shows up on either. It's common and adds to the problem of diagnosing a bad heart. The reliable way to tell is to do a trial of Lotinsen/Benazapril and see how Bette does. If she starts to improve you'll know for sure and can go from there.

FYI, not all heart pigs hoot all the time and it can take almost a year for the full effects of the medication. UTI's and URI's are also common with undiagnosed heart pigs. Yep, in the beginning it's frustrating.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:29 pm

And not all guinea pigs that hoot are heart pigs. It's also possible to have a throat obstruction.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:54 pm

How old is Bette?

Kidney check (if you can get blood; I wouldn't overdo it on the basis of what you have posted), heart, possible incipient URI, diabetes are my first guesses.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:48 am

Thanks for the replies. I have also noticed Bette bunny hops. Bette lives next door. Too A Boar and Sow unfortunately everyone I have tried to pair her with she has attacked.(heavily dominant) She hasn't lived with me all her life. She came to me at 4 and having been on her own her full life I have never managed to pair her. Her neighbours are the best I can do and ofcourse my own company.

I'm not depriving her of GP company she just doesn't want it. She is free to interact though the bar whenever she wishes.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:50 am

I took this video today, I think I'm going to phone round and see if theres a cavy savy vet available to see her today, if not it'll have to be tomorrow, unless something happens in which case we will be at the E-vet!

She is currently curled in a ball, but as you can see in the video her stomach is contracting, and she is lifting her head in what I can only deem as pain perhaps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l30NZ4-5f4c

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:20 am

I watched the video and Bette looks uncomfortable. If the E-vet is cavy savvy, it might be a good idea to call your vet and see if she should be taken to the E-vet. She's a very lovely girl.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:01 am

I can't seem to find a cavy Savy vet at the moment, as you can imagine I'm worried about my girl, she has been in bed all day except to eat and drink but she hasn't another spasm like that since the above one.

I'm praying she'll be well till the morning (When my vet opens, I have E number at hand.) but if she so much as hunches or has another reaction like that she will be going to the E-vet immediately, Cavy Savy or not it's all I can do for her.

I am monitoring her, she is still passing poo's eating and drinking well.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:47 pm

Bette is doing much better, I managed to get her too eat some pellet mash and she finally passed some normal stools.

We have the vet first thing, I'm going to ask they Xray her for any gut blockages, because I think she was having a gut spasm in the above video.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:13 pm

An x-ray of her hips and spine can also answer questions about her "bunny" hop. Might be arthritis.

Glad Bette seems to be eating again.

SoCalCavies
Partners in Crime

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:18 pm

I was just reading the last couple posts with such trepidation. I am so relieved she is better!! I think you're smart to get her checked out though.

No worries about pairing her up. My pigs are separate, too, for the same reasons. I didn't realize Bette had her friends right next door. That's wonderful.

I can't see the video well enough to comment because I'm watching it from my cell phone, but I know the typical signs of pain are a puffy look to their coats and tooth grinding. I don't think I saw that in your video. I'm wishing you the best at the vet tomorrow! Hopefully you can get some answers.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:32 pm

Wishing Bette good luck at the vet's tomorrow. I'm so glad she's doing some better.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:33 pm

Me too, Does anyone know about spasms? I might be paranoid but whatever is happening doesn't seem right to me.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:12 am

Her stools aren't formed again, I don't think she's eating enough food, but she is eating plenty of hay and keeping her gut moving we're off to the vet this morning. Will update when I get home.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:00 am

Just back from the vets. The vet couldn't feel anything by palpatation and her sounded fine. I left her there to have an Xray without GA ofcourse.

Her poops this morning were small and teardrop.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:06 am

Glad they are forming up again even if they are small. You might increase fluids.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2019

Post   » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:50 pm

Hoping all goes well at the vet with Bette. Hugs and healing vibes and hang in there. Bette looks really cute, love her colours.

102 posts