Concerned about Bette.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:42 pm

The verdict is in.

She was Xrayed but the only thing that showed up was Gas, She was given this..

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/digestive-supple ... 50g-p-1018

and sent home with some Charcoal too break up the gas, everything else was fine.

I still don't feel shes eating enough as her pellets are so small but they are formed now.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:13 am

Hoping Bette gets better real soon, you may want to try gentle massage and I also use battery operated toothbrush on Jessie's tummy to keep things moving. Maybe look at what you are feeding her and see if any are wind causing veggies like Buk Choy to name one. Hugs and healing vibes.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:25 pm

Thanks Daisy, Yes I am having a huge overall of the diet and will be investing in forgastrin incase it ever happens again.

Shes much better today, you can even feel the difference in her stomach.

This might be a silly but is Gas the equivalent to Mild Bloat. Is Bloat a build up of gas?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:53 pm

I am not sure but I am guessing here, I think wind if untreated can lead to bloat, I have lost a piggy and bunny to bloat and still don't know much sbout it. I am so glad Bette is much better today. Hugs and healing vibes and keep up the good work. And the only silly question is the one that is not asked!

Fred_and_co

Post   » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:23 pm

Bette has lost another 30grams shes now 1074 :(.

SoCalCavies
Partners in Crime

Post   » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:43 pm

You stated that you were going to do a big overhaul of her diet. Have you done that? If so, you cannot drastically change diet that quickly...they have to be slowly changed over time. That could be contributing to an already upset stomach.

If your pig is continuing to lose weight, you need to supplement.
Critical Care is what's recommended. Do you have access to some? If not, you can buy it here online:

http://www.vetmeddirect.com/Critical-Ca ... -015OXP011

Did your vet check her teeth for signs of malocclusion? Did you mention wanting to try a trial of heart meds for the hooting/deep sleep?

SoCalCavies
Partners in Crime

Post   » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:54 pm

Shoot. I just realized where you are located. VetMedDirect does not ship international. Sorry.

You can also make a pellet slurry by diluting pellets in water and try feeding that to her. Sounds like something more is going on here...

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:53 pm

Thistle sells Critical Care (and you would be supporting a wonderful, eminently worthwhile organization):

http://thistlecavies.tripod.com/shop/id1.html

Fred_and_co

Post   » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:31 am

I have C&C, although I haven't started giving a supplement yet. Her poop's are fully formed. The hooting sound hasn't returned.

I have spoke to a rodentologist in terms of diet. They said to give her the basics. Hay and water, with some probiotics, extra vitamin C and introduce foods one by one once her stomach settles so we can find the cause. I wasn't planning to do this until last night.

Lastnight her stomach swelt again, and there was a rumbling sound. She was either passing wind or it was the gas in her stomach. I have been massaging her stomach frantically and I gave her some gripe water to help with the gas, she is alot better this morning.

I gave her green pepper lastnight, I have since removed her pellets and shes on just hay until her stomach settles and then I will try too reintroduce her pellets, too make sure they are not responsible for upsetting her.

The vet checked her heart in the Xray and listened too it. She didn't think heart meds were necessary and said her teeth were fine too. I have heard people talk of a vet in Falkirk, I might need to visit them.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:29 am

www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59426 Falkirk vet. Bell pepper has been a gas producer for some of our pigs. I think your process of elimination plan is a good one.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:32 am

I have managed to get a lift, if I can get an appointment I can visit that practice tomorrow, I just don't want to go if its unnecessary but then if there is something wrong I want to know.

I think the fact I'n still worried I should visit. Waiting to find out if I can get an apt and tomorrow off.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:37 pm

We're visiting the Falkirk vet tomorrow, shall update how we get on!