Concerned about Bette.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:47 am

I didn't know that. I found the Olive Oil worked fab. Thank you for telling me about it. She's had a run around and some hay. I gave her some CC today she isn't a fan but she did have some Cavy Cuisine pellets and hay as per. She had a run round the room. I like this Bette much better but she needs to gain weight. Shes now 1030grams.

Thank you for all the advice amd if anyone has anything that could be a potential cause please let me know so I can rule it out with my vet.

Good news is the new vet, has Bettes history and the X-rays are being sent to him.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:58 pm

How much olive oil did you give?

I would worry it would prevent the absorption of nutrients and is fatty. Not something one would give regularly!

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:35 pm

No not reguarly, I gave it to help Bette, she was very bloated and not producing pellets, worked a treat only gave 0.2mls. To help at the time.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2019

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:50 pm

I would not use the olive oil again unless you really need too. Becareful with the Infacol as I used this on Jessie and it caused her to have the runs. Just give a drop or two and keep up the massages. I would perhaps suggest having an ultrasound done as this may show something. Hugs and healing vibes.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:25 pm

I think we should keep these positive vibes coming Bette has perked up no end! I have been to hell in back, but shes looking great now although she does still have sore legs which we will have to speak to the vet about!

She was out this evening, she doesn't stay out long but its enough to see she does have a limp and some bunny hops. I'm feeling alot more positive now *touches wood*.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmsves3jUB8

Now this I like too see!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=077hoFb_KD4

You can still notice left paw but who cares she looks brilliant.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:30 pm

Bette is such a pretty girl! I enjoyed watching the videos of her moving around and drinking.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:16 pm

Ok, so everyone have there thinking caps on!

I think Bettes issues are too random for it to be her kidneys. The spasms most people would say a stone what if it isn't (ie: internal blockage in guts), I know very little but this makes sense to me. What I do know is my previous vet only took an Xray from above. I'm pretty sure if this is what they did, they would have missed alot of things (ie: the gut).

What if she has a blockage in the gut obviously not a complete blockage but a partial blockage (she may have ate something ie plastic), which could explain why at times shes straining to pass a pellet and the bloat that we're having issues with now.

All thoughts welcome. We're going to the new vets tomorrow.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:38 pm

She does look like a pretty substantial girl. Do you think her weight contributed to the leg strain/injury?

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:56 pm

I don't think so Lynx, she has always been big. Then again who really knows.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:18 pm

We've had, more than once, a bloat or partial blockage situation cause paralysis, which either resolved on its own completely or at least partially.

One of our old vets, now since moved, told me that there is a majormajor nerve junction for them right about where our lower back would be. (Think several interstates coming together.) Put pressure on this and you can get some significant neurological weirdnesses occurring.

FWIW. I've had poor success with Mylicon (essentially the same as Infacol) and will remember the olive oil treatment, thanks Webs.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:45 pm

I am just back from the vets and what a fabulous visit I had, we went though all the suggestion of what could be going on. Every inch of Bette was checked he even watched my video's.

I also got the Xrays from the previous vet, which he looked at and explained to be in great detail in terms that I understood. The previous vet was right the only thing found in the Xray was bloat but he did also see arthritis, he has prescribed a form of metacam for that. If you haven't guessed then I'll tell you we did a urine sample and she is perfectly healthy her kidneys aren't failing and she is not diabetic.

Now what we did discover, Is Bette has a spur on her bottom right back tooth that is digging into the gum (he even grew me a diagram so I understood were it is). We're going to spend this week getting her healthy and ready for her dental which will be done consciously next week, we both felt that after the weekend it wasn't the right time to do it today.

I am so glad I went to the vet today and I think I have found the best vet I can find for Bette, we will tackle each issue as they arise but for now I'm putting my trust 100% in my vet.

Thank you, everyone for the advice and good wishes ofcourse I will keep everyone informed of her progress.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:20 pm

Sounds like you've found a thorough vet! I hope things improve considerably after he is able to take care of the spur.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2019

Post   » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:46 pm

So happy you have found a vet you feel you can trust and knows what they are talking about. Did they explain why Bette was having spasms? If they reoccur I would suggest an Ultra sound. Keep up te goos work and hoping all goes well when Bette gets her teeth done. Hugs and healing vibes.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:55 pm

We believe the spasms are due to her gut not working correctly as she hasn't been eating enough or grinding it properly so its blocking her gut, which are resulting in the coliac movements.

However if anything else crops up we will take the appriorate action.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:05 pm

Great news, sounds like you're getting to the bottom of things. Larger doses of probiotic were a great help to Tiggy after her GI incident too. It just passes through (doesn't cause the runs or anything) but settles things down really quickly, may help with Bette's gut spasms. Did wonder if arthritis may be a factor in her bunny hopping.

Talishan, it was Thistle Cavies who put me onto the Olive Oil treatment as they've used it for years with great success. I admit I was skeptical at first but it worked quicker with Chilli and she had less spasms when dealing with gas. With Tiggy's recent incident I think I may well have lost her as she was also on Metaclopromide to move things along and it just seemed to give her bigger spasms. Even my vets are in favour of it as it's a more natural product.

Note: Not that olive oil will take the place of Metaclopramide when needed, but can be used alongside and if given soon enough, maybe prevent it being required.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:20 pm

I certainly think it saved Bette.

Yes I'm so glad we have a reason now, and can work on that!

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:59 am

For pigs with G.I. problems I give charcoal if they seem gassy. There are a lot of brands available at the grocery stores and natural foods stores. It's a homeopathic treatment and it has never harmed any of my pigs. I just open up a capsule, sprinkle about 1/8 cap in water, stir to dissolve and syringe into the pig with water to follow. I don't think it has a taste or if it does they don't mind it. Acorn gets this regularly because he had a neuter complication and ever since then gets gassy.

Here's a link for you. I think this retailer is in your area.

I also give a liquid probiotic that is soy-based. Rain gets 1cc twice a day.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:34 am

Bette is booked in to have her teeth done on thursday. Here's hoping this is the issue!

Fred_and_co

Post   » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:17 pm

charybdis, Thank you for the link I have powered Charcoal the previous vet gave me it. I have alot of things these days!

Bette, has a very special announcement!

This morning when I got up Bette weighed 990grams, at 6-7am I fed her and weighed her again before leaving the house. She was 1025grams. I have been worried all day about her, dreading coming home incase she had reverted back, to that sorry looking pig. I found her alert, came to greet me and she looks fab. I weighed her again and she's 1027grams, which means she must have been eating on her own!

Not too mention, lots of poops bliss, I'm chuffed with her!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2019

Post   » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:43 pm

So happy that Bette is improving, hoping it continues and good luck at the vets when she has her teeth done. Hugs and healing vibes to you both. Good job the both of you!

102 posts