Pregnant and din't know and now have 3 babies.Please help :(

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:41 am

My sister is a dentist and she said give 2 drops of steroid so that he is relieved of pain. The baby's eye are wet so i guess its paining him a lot and crying. I think he had dislocated or broken some of his neck bone because he can move his hands and legs but not his neck. So as a temporary situation my sister has put a cardboard near his neck and tied a bandage. He seems to balance after that.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:19 am

Thank you everybody (SweetWhisper, Talishan, sus4rabbitsnpigs) who helped me with this problem and enabled my little baby to survive till now, but he couldn't survive any further. Special thanks to Charybdis for helping my baby and me so much.
May his soul rest in peace..

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:27 am

Oh God, another baby with the same problem - tilted head, cannot walk, doesn't eat or drink..
What can be the reason? What should i do now??

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:43 am

Pooja, I just saw this thread, I'm so sorry!

Gerber is sold here in India. Where are you again? Try getting to a Namdhari's, or a Spar, or a Spencer's gourmet. Any place that sells International products!

Cerelac also has a non-dairy variety, though I can't remember the name of it now. Any pharmacy will carry it.

Syringe feeding can be done, don't give up! There are lots of threads on this site for syringe recipes and hand feeding techniques.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:09 pm

I am totally devastated now. Lost another baby. I had taken him to the vet to find out the problem but he died there itself. The vet said that either its a neurology disorder or lack of deficiency. He has told me to take extra care of the last piggy.
He has told me to feed vitamin C tablets dissolved in water to him and to hand feed him. Also he has told me to feed 'lactol' or 'royal kennal's 1st stage milk'. These are milk substitutes which are often given to small dogs and cats. Would it be safe to feed the baby vitamin C tablets and milk substitute?

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:12 pm

I am totally devastated now. Lost another baby.

I had taken him to the vet to find out the problem but he died there itself. The vet said that either its a neurology disorder or lack of deficiency.

He has told me to take extra care of the last piggy.
He has told me to feed vitamin C tablets dissolved in water to him and to hand feed him.
Also he has told me to feed 'lactol' or 'royal kennal's 1st stage milk'. These are milk substitutes which are often given to small dogs and cats.

Would it be safe to feed the baby vitamin C tablets and milk substitute?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:44 pm

Please see www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html#pups for safe foods for very young guinea pigs. So sorry you lost severa of the pups.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:39 pm

I'm so sorry you have lost more babies. That is terrible news. I would not feed the milk substitute, they don't process dairy well. You could try baby cereal with juice or vegetable slurry or baby food and even add some pellet mash if you strain out the seeds and sticks after soaking.

The vitamin C is a good idea. Wish I had more information for you.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:01 am

As heartbreaking as this is, Pooja, understand that there may very well have been something seriously wrong with the pups that have passed. Nature has a way of correcting itself.

That doesn't mean you love them less, or that we mourn them less. Godspeed, safe passage, love and comfort to them.

The dog/cat milk substitutes aren't a good idea. I've seen them used and the animals did well, but whether that was because of them or in spite of them, I don't know. Charybdis is correct in that they do not process dairy products well; their systems are not set up for it.

Vitamin C dissolved in water is a good idea. Try finding the infants' cereals and/or the non-dairy Cerelac. Guinea pigs are precocious animals -- that is, they are born fully furred, with eyes open, teeth erupted etc. They can eat solid, normal adult food within days, if not hours, of birth. Having said that, the baby will starve with no food at all. A puppy milk replacer would be better than kitten.

Is Princy taking care of this baby? Have you seen him or her nurse, and defecate?

Namdhari's Fresh locations

Whereabouts are you (province or city, not your address or anything)?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:23 am

Another idea: try simply asking "where to buy Gerber cereals in <name of your city> India" in Google and see what comes up.

Like so

This is Mumbai by way of example

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:41 am

The baby is sucking Pricy's milk now but not too much, say like 4-5 times a day. Is this adequate?

That milk substitute is used for puppies and kittens. Should i feed him that milk substitute as he looks very weak and small?? Though he has started eating veggies a little but very little, say next to negligible. I have seen him eating a little cucumber, say like a pinch and 2/3 leaves of cilantro.

We don't get non-diary ceralac in Mumbai, India. I have seen all infants here drinking dairy ceralac. I got the diary ceralac also after a long search as it was a bank holiday yesterday. Still will go out and search for it today. Should i continue feeding him the diary ceralac till that time?

Also the pellets available here are 'Versele-Laga' Cavia Crispy. This is the link:
http://www.versele-laga.com/Nutri/Nutri ... 4&pro=5366
Would it be safe to feed my piggies these pellets?

How often should i give Vitamin C to the baby? My vet has told me to crush the tablet and give only that much which comes on a matchstick, so that would be around 10-15 mg. Is he correct? I had gone to him for the 1st time yesterday.
Also can use the same crushed tablet the next day or a new tablet everyday?

How long should i feed him Vitamin C and ceralac?

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:22 am

I don't know if 4-5 times a day is enough. Maybe not. Can you monitor the baby's weight by the gram?

I would avoid the milk substitute and if you cannot find a non-dairy cereal it is still better to feed the Cerelac than feeding the milk substitute. You can blend up some vegetable juice or baby food or canned pumpkin with it.

I don't see the ingredients of the Cavia Crispy but in looking at the product I would say no, it does not look nutritious.

If you give the 10-15 mg of Vitamin C twice a day for now that should be adequate. Vitamin C degrades quickly, so after you break the tablet put the rest in a plastic bag or back in the bottle.

A normal guinea pig can be separated from the mom at 3 weeks of age. But you have a sick little guinea pig, and you won't know how long you will need to take care of him like this. Weighing him daily will let you know if he is gaining weight and if your feeding is adequate.