Pregnant and din't know and now have 3 babies.Please help :(

mommysews

Post   » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:30 pm

Poohja,

I am just wondering how Princy is doing?
Have you had any luck in finding the Timothy Grass?

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:48 pm

Pooja, I found this thread through google. It's not piggy related, but the girl "Nikita" seems to have found hay cubes and other supplies. Maybe you could contact her? She's located in Mumbai.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic ... =16&page=2

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:45 am

mommysews, Princy is doing well. Her coughing have reduced but she still gets soft poops. And I still haven't found timothy grass :(

Puja, thank you so much. I will definitely talk to Nikita.

I finally met the vet last week but couldn't come on the forum because of exams. The vet was better than the vets I have met so far (atleast she knew a little about guinea pigs). She had the following opinions about my guinea pigs, though I don't agree with few:

Princy - 1. Coughing is not very serious. She pressed Princy's neck to see if she has any infection or if she yells when she is been pressed on the neck, but nothing happened.
2. Bloated in appearance and she said not to worry about it (I don't agree. How can I not worry??).

Prince - He had something stuck under his penis and when I tried to remove it, he dint allow me to, that means it was paining. But finally I removed it and it seemed more like a scrapping. The vet said that he must be lying in his poops and urine and I should wash his genital area with 1 ml Povidone Iodine Betadine mixed with 10 ml water everyday.

Angel (the baby) - I finally know for sure now that the baby is a sow. She has weak front paws and hind legs. Her legs keeps slipping even when she is standing still. The vet recommended rubber matting as her bedding as rubber would give her a grip.

In general - The poop issues are due to the diet. Their scratching and hair loss are normal and she told me not to dose them with ivermectin (I don't agree). She told me not to worry unless the hairs comes out in clusters (I don't agree again). She has told me to give all my piggies Vitamin C tablets either in water or on veggies.

Does anybody have any suggestions on my vet's opinion or in general?? Thank you in advance.

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:40 pm

Pooja, you are right not to agree with most of her advice. Unfortunately, the vets here are not at all experienced with pigs, and they don't do their homework before giving you advice (which is usually wrong). When I first got Pinky and The Brain, I was told that the bald spots behind their ears were from a fungal infection!

1. Does Princy have any other symptoms related to a respiratory infection? Even humans cough without having a sore throat or tender lymph nodes, how ridiculous.

2. Bloating is never good. Is the abdomen hard when you press it?

3. How regularly are you doing cleanings for the penile area and anal sac? Betadine with water is fine, but warm saline or warm salted water will also be fine.

4. I don't know about Angel's weak legs, maybe someone else can help you with that. Rubber bedding does not sound good, since it won't absorb urine.

5. The soft poop cannot be just because of a lack of timothy hay. Pinky and the Brain had lots of time without hay, and had normal poops. When they first came to me, they both had some pretty bad infections. Get a stool sample tested. Excessive scratching is not normal. If your pigs have never been dosed, dose immediately! Most people here don't mix vitamins into water and veggies, but might give the vitamin c separately. Their diet should be supplying enough. Lots of vets in Bangalore have kept stressing vitamin c drops and whatnot without even asking me what diet I'm providing. It's really the only thing they know, so they keep saying it over and over again.

What diet are you providing, by the way? I'm sure you've listed it somewhere, but I've forgotten. You are right in the things you disagree with. Find a new vet!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:12 pm

Do read over www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html It's possible it is an intestinal parasite and something like panacur could help.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:20 am

Princy sneezes at times but I think that is normal. Every piggie does that, right?
She has a little rough coat.

All my piggies puff up like a puffball and sleep. I don't know whether this is normal or no.
The abdomen of my piggies seem hard. Is there any other way of determining bloat?

I clean Prince's penile area every 2 days with warm water. I don't know what is anal sac but I clean his penis, his testicles and spread his testicles a little and clean the area between it.
Just above his testicles and on his body, I think it is called scrotum, he has a little scabbing and flaking and has his poop stuck on it every time. Is this normal?

I don't have any other option but get the stool sample tested at the same vet because among all the vets I have met so far, she knew the most about guinea pigs, though not all her opinions were correct.

I give my piggies cucumber, carrots, capsicum (green bell peppers), coriander (cilantro), fansi (don't know what is called in English), tomatoes, bottle gourd, wheatgrass and fruits (once in a week).

I have never dosed my piggies with ivermectin but I will soon do that after reading everything about it here.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:27 am

A stray sneeze with no snot might not indicate illness. Puffing up is not supposed to be normal (sign of pain). Any chance you can have him checked out?

Extreme tightness of the abdomen could definitely indicate bloat. You will also probably see signs of pain, in which case this is an emergency.

www.guinealynx.info/pain.html

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:09 pm

"Fansi" is French beans. The diet seems fine, while the puffiness and tight abdomen do not. I would start on antibiotics right away, regardless of a stool sample. Still, get a sample tested for sensitivity as soon as possible.

Give lots of probiotics, and find your nearest veterinary college. Over there, see if they have someone in a small animals lab. That person may be able to help more, or at least direct you in the right direction.

I also found this website: http://vteams.org/associates-vteams.html

A few of the vets on their have listed experience with small animals. Give them a call, and see if they can be of any help.

Whatever it is, do not wait any longer to treat!

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:08 am

Princy's abdomen seemed buried in her stomach. I couldn't find it and when I held her with one hand and tried to touch her abdomen with the other, she shrieked in pain and started biting me. She showed all signs of pain which are listed on the page - grinding teeth, reluctant to move or walk, sits hunched with hair spiky and breathing is different. Her stomach is bigger than her body. She had white flakes everywhere in her hairs.

Prince's abdomen was visible and it seemed hard though he shows only one sign of pain - sits hunched with hair spiky. Even he had white flakes in his hairs.

Angel's abdomen seemed better but she started biting me when I was checking. She does that every time plus she shivers when I pet her by moving my hand from her head till down. She had white flakes too. Should I treat her for bloat and mites?

I had gone to a veterinary college but the head of small animals wasn't there and a student there gave me this vet's number (the vet i had gone to). Still I will go to the college next week to meet the head.

The clinic in the site which pinpinpuji (Puja) mentioned is two and a half hour drive from my place and I wouldn't want to risk traveling with my piggies all the way there unless I don't have an option.

Which antibiotics and probiotics should I give my piggies given that they get soft poops, possibility of mites since they scratch and have hair loss problems and have bloat??
My poor piggies :(

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:50 am

I would start with metronidazole and lactobacillus/acidophilus, but a sample HAS to be tested. You don't need to meet the head at the college, just give the samples for testing! The reports will be enough to get an idea of what antibiotic to give. Honestly, every day you spend waiting is bad enough.

The pigs will be oke traveling for a couple hours, especially if it means getting good treatment. Call the place, see if they can help, and get them better asap!

Also find out what kind of feed is being used at the veterinary college where the small animals are housed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:42 am

"Princy's abdomen seemed buried in her stomach."

The abdomen I was referring to is the general stomach area. Like for humans it would be our belly. The central section. I understand powdered charcoal can help with bloat in some cases. But it is an emergency. Yes, the metronidazole should help move things along. www.guinealynx.info/.html#bloat

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:47 pm

I will have to get the sample tested on Monday because that veterinary college was shut today.

I had mailed Nikita and asked her about hay and pellets. She said she gets her hay from a cowshed and she gives Sunseed(Brand) pellets.

The clinic that Puja mentioned wasn't picking up my calls, so I assumed it must be shut today. I have mailed the head of that clinic, Dr. Chariar, but he haven't replied to me yet.

On a good note, Prince's poops were good shaped and moist today. But he was sneezing and coughing during his floor time. He sneezed 4/5 times and coughed 2 times during his half an hour floor time. Is this normal or can he be suffering from URI?