Pregnant and din't know and now have 3 babies.Please help :(

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:42 pm

I am sorry but I am not able to upload pictures :(

There are no signs of infection. The swelling which I thought would be a matter of concern is actually the dead skin which is very hard and have started peeling off. Cupid's wound is also healing and new skin has started to come.

He is eating and pooping normally. Should I stop giving him antibiotics and probiotics? Today was his eleventh day of surgery.

Also once the new skin comes completely, should I apply some ointment or anything on the fresh skin? Can I put him back in his original cage with Sandy? They are both sad without each other :(

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:03 pm

If you have any, you can email them to me and I can post them. Be sure to include your board name:

It sounds like he is doing pretty well. Perhaps you can double check with your vet and then stop with the antibiotics and probiotics if they are no longer needed.

Leave the skin to air. I would not apply ointment.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:45 pm

Lynx, thank you so much. I will email you the pictures tomorrow.

We don't have an exotic animals vet here and I would listen to you people than him. So should I stop giving him antibiotics and probiotics then?

Also should I still continue cleaning his wound with Betadine solution or it is not required now?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:59 pm

I don't know if you need to keep cleaning or rinsing the wound with a Betadine solution but it likely would not hurt. What does it look like now? Is it pretty well healed? Has it healed from the inside out?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:08 am

I received your photos.

I am concerned your vet did not do a very good job with this. What I would have expected is a complete excision of the lump and sewing up the skin so it can heal. It looks to me that this is not going to heal on its own and not enough matter has been removed.

Hopefully someone else who has had a similar problem can comment. Your post surgery pictures remind me of abscesses/lumps/problems that have burst at the surface and look pretty awful. They do not resolve unless the whole problem area is removed and it is sutured shut. I think the problem is deeper in the skin.

Here is an example of what one poster's guinea pig looked like after this burst and before removal. Top one is with crusty exhudate, bottom one is cleaned off but this is still not going to heal that way:

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:01 am

Oh my God!! I thought he is becoming fine because he is eating and pooping normally. My poor baby :(
What should I do now? Should I wait for the wound to heal or visit some other vet immediately or something else?

Should I continue giving him antibiotics, probiotics and a Betadine solution rinse?

I just saw that he has some blood on his new skin, probably due to his scratching or biting there. What should I do to prevent this from further happening?

Someone please please help. I am very scared right now.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:10 pm

Cupid removed his dead skin entirely and now his wound is covered with a lot of blood. What should I do to stop the blood? Can I apply something on it, so that he doesn't bite his wound any more and there is no more blood also?

Please help me. Please :(

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:24 pm

You need to see a vet who will cut that area out, put a drain in (probably), and give you the solution to flush it out with.

You could try cutting off the top of a sock and cut holes in it for his legs and putting it on him to see if that will keep him from scratching and biting. But you'll have to watch him like a hawk to keep him from eating the sock or getting his claws caught in it.

Sorry you're having trouble with your piggy, and I know that good vets are very hard to find where you are. I hope you can come up with someone who can help him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:10 pm

The other pictures came from the thread my post below was on:

viewtopic.php?p=780464#780464

Note my post just above and this link:
http://www.vetinfo.com/depicysts.html

What I am wondering is if this was a cyst and if the vet actually could have removed the whole thing but kind of removed half of it (look at the photo on that page that shows the center of the cyst - it seems to resemble your pig's open area).

I was trying to track down some other posts on this problem. It may be that not all causes are the same. That post seems to imply she left it instead of having it surgically removed. She never followed up with more photos of the outcome :-(

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:49 pm

bpatters, I am scared for another surgery so soon. It has been only 13 days since his first surgery.
I have a nylon/polyester sock. Would it be good for his skin and would covering his blood-covered wound be ok?

Lynx, I don't really know if it was a cyst or no but the vet had said that he had removed a lot of cheesy puss and dead tissues from Cupid's wound. Should I go to another vet tomorrow and get it removed or wait for it to heal and then check for the recurrence of the lump?

Cupid is eating normally now but I am worried about he biting his wound and removing more blood from it :(

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:49 pm

I think you need a second opinion. I am NOT the most medical person here and am only giving you a lay person's opinion. None of my guinea pigs has had this condition.

I do think a second opinion would be worthwhile.

The surgery should have been relatively superficial (only the skin was involved, not internal organs). If you have vets who can properly anesthetize guinea pigs with a safe inhalant gas and the anesthesia is monitored, it should be safe.

I think your vet just did not remove enough matter. But I only have your photos and the impression that more should have been done.

I hope anyone who has had experiences with this sort of skin issue will post.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:34 am

It is very difficult to find a vet who is an expert in guinea pigs here. I normally gather all the advice and information I get on this forum and try to help the vet with it.

I don't want Cupid to go through another surgery so soon. I have even stopped giving him antibiotics and probiotics for the fear of hurting him by force feeding him.
But can I clean/rinse his fresh skin with a Betadine solution inspite of his blood on it (due to biting) to prevent any infections?