Pregnant and din't know and now have 3 babies.Please help :(

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:42 am

Thank you Lynx for replying. Sandy’s teeth normally doesn’t wear on his own. His incisors always overgrow and curve inwards. Vet has suggested that I try filling it with sand paper to delay the overgrowing process. Is it a safe method?
What is a cue tip? Are you talking about the cotton swab (Q tip)?

Here are the details of the antibiotics. Please let me know if you need more information.

http://www.catalog.md/drugs/perinorm.html

http://www.catalog.md/drugs/metrogyl.html

Would it be safe to use Bactrim since I had used it on other piggy who had an abcess removed? I guess Bactrim is used to prevent any infections, right?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:35 pm

Metronidazole is an antiparasitic/antibiotic. Metoclopramide is a motility drug.

Sandpaper would be very ineffective. A glass file (that one might use on their finger nails) might work better.

I don't think either of the drugs in the links would really help with an abscess. Bactrim might not be the right one either (but would work better than either of the other two). For an abscess, I'd go with a different antibiotic.

www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:14 pm

Lynx, thank you for helping me so much. Seriously :*

Sandy doesn't have abscess. What I meant was that I have Bactrim at home and I had used it on my other piggy before. I was asking if it is safe to use both the antibiotics prescribed by my vet at the same time? Or should I use some other antibiotic?

Another question is how do I keep his wound cleaned?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:56 pm

Okay. Bactrim could be used with the other antibiotics. I do not know how effective or well this would work but they could be used together.

We generally recommend flushing a wound with sterile saline solution. https://www.guinealynx.info/antiseptic_solutions.html

Curved-tipped syringes work well in many cases.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:08 am

I would not use Betadine in the mouth, even heavily diluted.

Where is the wound? If it's where the incisor was, and is readily accessible in the front of the mouth, flush it with sterile saline. You can also use a very dilute solution of chlorhexidine gluconate (human Hibiclens in the US) on a Q-tip. Mouth injuries, including the gums where a tooth has broken off at the gumline, usually heal up pretty quickly.

If his incisor is curling inward and overgrowing, you may be able to learn to clip it at home using human toenail clippers or dog nail clippers. My vet uses the kind that close in a circle:

These cause the least danger of fragmenting or shattering the tooth.

Here's the glass nail file Lynx is referencing:

Here is an example, there are others

DON'T use sandpaper.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:51 pm

I have purchased the saline solution and the curved-tipped syringe. The wound is where the incisor was. What exactly do you mean by flushing the wound? Do I just pour the saline solution on his wound/broken incisor?

My vet uses this to clip his teeth:
http://mamarant.blogs.com/photos/uncate ... pers_1.jpg

Can I use the nail file used to shape human nails? Something like this:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/attachme ... l-file.jpg

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:42 pm

The curved tip syringe will allow you to squirt a good flow of warm, sterile saline solution to flush out and debris and try to keep it clean.

That nail file would work (metal) but I would blunt the pointy tip so you cannot injure the mouth (round it off). The clippers you put up are human nail clippers. They can be used (carefully) on guinea pig toe nails. Unsure about the teeth (I know they can be used but may still fracture the tooth).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:46 pm

Put some of the sterile saline in a small cup. Draw some of it up into the syringe. Gently hold his mouth open and squirt over the gum where the incisor was.

BE CAREFUL not to squirt too much too hard or too fast. The curved-tip syringe makes fluid come out at a sharp, high rate. Experiment with it over a sink first to see how it behaves.

The tip of the syringe is VERY sharp. Be careful not to nick his gum with it. Squirt from further away than the gum surface if necessary, and direct the stream where you want it to go.

The nail clippers the vet is using are not ideal, but they'll do. Those are what we have used at home, for those pigs we could trim at home.

The nail file is a plain metal human one. I wouldn't use that. See if you can get a glass one (Amazon has them). They're not expensive.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:04 pm

Thank you Lynx and Talishan for helping out.

For the time being, I am waiting for the broken incisor to grow and keeping it clean. I will try trimming the other incisor with the metal file first and if not possible with that, I will buy the glass file.

Since the last vet visit, Sandy hardly eats his hay. He has been avoiding hard food or anything that requires him to chew a lot. He has maintained his weight though. I have been giving him whatever veggies he likes to eat. How do you encourage a piggy to eat hay?
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:08 pm

I have some old metal human nail files and they work (on my nails) splendidly! They are quite efficient. I think the glass nail files took hold because they can be brought on planes while metal ones can't.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:44 pm

That, and there's a big difference in quality of metal files, too. I have an old one that's just great. Anything I've bought recently, though, regardless of price has been junk.

Without reading back, Pooja, is your piggy housed with another? The best way to get a guinea pig to eat something is for him or her to see another pig eating it.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:16 pm

I have a metal file which works great on my nails. I will sterilize it and use it on Sandy.

Sandy was housed with Cupid until now but after his tooth surgery, I have separated them because Sandy used to eat slowly and Cupid used to finish off Sandy's part also. Plus if Sandy is kept separated, I can figure out how much exactly is he eating.