Pregnant and din't know and now have 3 babies.Please help :(

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:38 am

I'm so sorry for your loss. You obviously provided a wonderful home for his since he lived to a good age.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:27 pm

My boar Sandy, 660 grams, has been scratching a lot these days. He has removed lots of hair near his stomach, sides and hind legs. His skin has become red, dry and a little flakey and his fur is rough. He doesn’t have any open sores yet (touch wood). He is maintaining his weight and has been acting normal- eating, pooping, peeing. Though his poops are soft. I wonder whether it is mites or fungus or bacterial infection?

I have a 10ml Ivermectin injection IP bottle and it says each ml contains:
Ivermectin IP-10mg
Benzyl alcohol IP-15mg
Propylene glycol IP-q.s.
Is it the 1% solution? How much should I dose Sandy with?
Also since I am treating Sandy, I will also treat his brother Cupid, 750 grams. How much should I dose him?

I have Clotrimazole cream-1% and Neosporin in hand. It is better if the cream is applied properly into the skin and kept open. But if I have to bandage him so that he doesn’t scratch, would it be ok if I cover him with gauze and secure it with a tape?

Should I give him antibiotics, painkiller or probiotics too?
I will be sending pictures to Lynx for attachment. Might be a little blurred because he was biting a lot.
Thanking you in advance.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:44 pm

No antibiotics. They are only needed for bacterial infections, and are not only useless otherwise, but can be downright dangerous.

No, that's a 10% solution, and should be diluted with 9 parts of propylene glycol or a vegetable cooking oil like Canola.
Here's the dosing chart and instructions: https://www.guinealynx.info/oral_ivermectin.html

You can use the cream or not, as you choose. Neither of them will do anything for mites, but might, repeat might, soothe the skin a little.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:44 pm

That is the one percent solution. It can also be used topically.

topical_ivermectin.html

Here are your pictures. Sure looks like mites to me!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:54 pm

Definitely Mites!

But Lynx, that solution is 10 mg per 1 ml. According to the oral ivermectin treatment thread, cited above, that's a 10% solution.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:57 pm

Top of the page it says,

"Guinea Lynx' TOPICAL IVERMECTIN TREATMENT FOR GUINEA PIGS @ 0.5mg/kg USING IVOMEC INJECTION 1.0% SOLUTION"

A 1% solution is 10 mg/ml. The amount you dose is very tiny (2 or 3 drops or so).

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:48 pm

Oops, my bad. Misplaced a decimal when I was doing the calculations.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:56 am

I'm thankful you are here when I misplace a decimal!

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:03 pm

Thank you Lynx and bpatters.

Will I need to dilute the 1% solution with propylene glycol?

Do I need to treat Sandy for fungus also?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:05 pm

You can use it straight. But remember it is a very very tiny amount. Measure accurately.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Mon May 08, 2017 8:17 am

My piggies have finished their third dose of Ivermection but they are still scratching like crazy. I intend to give them one more (fourth) dose of Ivermection. Thier hairs have started growing back. I sanitise their cage with vinegar-water solution every three days and wash their bedding everyday in hot diluted bleach solution.

Is there anything I am doing wrong? Why are they still scratching?

Also, should bleach be used only for their bedding or I can use it to clean their cage?

Kimera

Post   » Mon May 08, 2017 8:28 am

The hairs look broken, which is one of the symptoms of fungus. Treating for fungal infection would not hurt and actually might relieve itching.